Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brompton - 200 East 86th Street - Condo (UES) - by Robert A.M. Stern

Default The Brompton - 200 East 86th Street - Condo (UES) - by Robert A.M. Stern

200 East 86th Street:

http://www.rkf.com/listings/

This building is also mention on this thread...

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8313

Some news about it...

East 86th Street activity

01-FEB-06

Extell Development is planning to erect a 20-story building with about 150 residential condominium apartments, 20 rental apartments and 100,000-square-feet of retail space on the eastern Lexington Avenue blockfront between 85th and 86th Streets.

It has commissioned Cook + Fox Architects to design the development, which will have several setbacks and an asymmetrical design that includes some indented balconies, and a projecting pier near the middle of each major façade.

It will replace several undistinguished low-rise buildings that have housed a variety of small retail operations including a pet store, a candy shop, a Radio Shack and a deli as well as a large coffee shop that has been closed for a couple of years.

The intersection of Lexington Avenue and 86th Street is one of the busiest on the Upper East Side because it is an express subway stop and a major cross-town street. The cross-town street has been a major retail hub between Lexington Avenue and Second Avenue for the past few decades as redevelopment ended the strip’s long run as the center of German-American dance-halls and nightlife. For a few years, Gimbel’s operating a large branch of its department store on the northwest corner of the intersection, but it subsequently was replaced by a large residential development whose retail spaces are now leased to Best Buy, Barnes & Nobles, Staples and Starbucks.

The Extell development site is owned mostly by the heirs of Sol Goldman, and they have leased the ground to Extell for the retail space and the rental apartments. Extell also negotiated with the Goldman heirs for the Stanhope Hotel site on the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 81st Street, which it is developing into condominium apartments.

According to an article today by Terry Pristin in The New York Times Gary Barnett, the head of Extell, “hopes to begin demolition of the Lexington Avenue site in a few months,” adding that “people are still living in one of the buildings along 86th Street and are protected by the city’s rent laws; they must be paid to leave or be relocated to other apartments.”

The same article reported that The Related Companies are planning to building a condominium apartment development a block to the east of the Extell site on the east side of Third Avenue between at 86th Street and it quoted Mark Perlbinder, “who has contributed a building East 86th Street that used to house the Flaming Embers restaurant to the project,” as stating that the architect for the Related project is Robert A. M. Stern.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC.
    Last edited by krulltime; November 8th, 2006 at 12:03 AM.

Here are some photos...

Quote Originally Posted by King of Yorkville
    I took a short walk today and took some pictures of the buildings that are/are going to be taken down.

And now, here is the SE corner of 86th and 3rd. Construction has not begun yet but all retail shops are vacated and I don't think there is anyone living in these buildings. The Yellow buildings and the tiny one story shops on the far left are the buildings to be replaced. All of the yellow buldings are very run down but the exterior designs in the brick are very nice. I imagine they are quite old too.

Here are the yellow buildings from another angle across the street on the west side of 3rd between 86th and 85th streets. I will miss the buildings, but I admit I will not miss most of these stores. (could that cingular store be any uglier?)

Here's a highlight using Google Earth to show a bird's eye view of whats going down.

Well there's my part of archiving New York city's architectural history, hope you all enjoyed.

Forum Veteran

two good site to build that were extremly blighted for the area

They're starting to shed up the blockfront on 86th. I think the demo is going to start soon.

With the work on both blocks, that stretch is going to be a mess for a couple of years. But it will be nice when it's done.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Here's the latest and I'm sure, the final redesign.

This one is suppose to be by Robert A.M. Stern.

It now has 20 stories with a setback at the 14th floor.

The side facing Third Ave. minus the top 11 floors.

The side facing 86th St. minus the bottom 3 floors.

Images from RKF.

RAMS' tower is better than the one that Gershon is developing. It's a joke that Gershon razed ornate, old buildings that simply needed a cleaning and replaced them with this bland box. Gershon is no friend of NY.

My friend, you've got your developers and buildings all mixed up.

The above bland box that you described IS by Robert Stern and is being developed by Related Cos.

The one you're thinking about is by Extell and is on Lexington.

I know it can get confusing since they're both on E. 86st St., one block from each other and is seemingly, going up simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    My friend, you've got your developers and buildings all mixed up.

The above bland box that you described IS by Robert Stern and is being developed by Related Cos.

The one you're thinking about is by Extell and is on Lexington.

I know it can get confusing since they're both on E. 86st St., one block from each other and is seemingly, going up simultaneously.

There is no confusion on my part. Gershon's bland box to which I referred is as follows:

I find RAMS' building to be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    There is no confusion on my part. Gershon's bland box to which I referred is as follows:
    Are you sure?

That was never Gershon's (Extell).

OK. I saw the rendering and then read the first sentence which referred to Gershon's Extell Dev. Co. I like RAMS' later rendering of the brick building over the first, more modern one.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; October 15th, 2006 at 05:04 PM.

Stern's building is absolutely beautiful and brimming with subtleties. Just one example: observe how the stone blends into brick.

The little balconies hiccup the string course and help blend the gothic base into the main body. Tudor City is the precedent here.

Very nice indeed; here's something to satisfy the calls for unexhibitionistic high quality design.

Kondylis should hire this guy to do his schematic design; New York would be beautified.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Stern's building is absolutely beautiful and brimming with subtleties. Just one example: observe how the stone blends into brick.

The little balconies hiccup the string course and help blend the gothic base into the main body. Tudor City is the precedent here.

Very nice indeed; here's something to satisfy the calls for unexhibitionistic high quality design.

Kondylis should hire this guy to do his schematic design; New York would be beautified.
    I agree.

Forum Veteran

Bovis was awarded both of these

ill post some pics here of the dev growing. see it from my apt.. only think is, with winter im at work during daylight hours.. so ill try to get something by the weekend.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    RAMS' tower is better than the one that Gershon is developing. It's a joke that Gershon razed ornate, old buildings that simply needed a cleaning and replaced them with this bland box. Gershon is no friend of NY.

Extell head is Gary Barnett. Related Co's head is Stephen Ross.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast