Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bay Ridge: Racist as it ever was

Default Bay Ridge: Racist as it ever was

I went to the same high school mentioned in this piece back in the 70's: I used to hear racial slurs walking to the subway, racist jokes from gym teachers, and n word was all over the graffiti on the desks and the bathroom walls. Fortunately looking like a poindexter probably got me out of a beating.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-368707c.html

I just graduated from Fort Hamilton High in '05, just like my father did in '80. Racism is not a huge problem, but it does exist here. To be honest, the perpretrators that I saw there were the Italians. More precisely, the ridiculous Italians, the Guidos, whose parents are loaded and the kids are spoiled rotten. They tend to be protective of their girls. I will bet more than anything that these were the people who beat up the kid. I just stayed away from them in school. I'm probably more Italian than half of the Guidos, and they are an embarrassment to Italian heritage.

It is sad and I hope they are punished. 14 freakin years old, what the hell is a matter with these kids. As if their life is so rough. Fort Hamilton is mainly a safe school with good students. The Telecommunications High School, on the other hand, one block from my house, is filled with punk kids, who sometimes smoke on my stoop during lunch. The perpetrators of this case should be forced to spend some time there and see how they are treated, they'd love to get a hold of some pretty boys.

I tried to get into Stuyvesant in Manhattan but didn't

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    Racism is not a huge problem, but it does exist here. To be honest, the perpretrators that I saw there were the Italians. More precisely, the ridiculous Italians, the Guidos, whose parents are loaded and the kids are spoiled rotten.
    Racism wasn't a huge problem primarily because there weren't enough black people hanging around for them to get baseball bat swinging racist about. And yes the perpetrators back in the day were primarily the italians.

I tried to get into Stuyvesant in Manhattan but didn't
    Sorry about that man. It's a very competitive school to get into.

Stuyvesant is an incredible school, but I'm glad I went to Fort Hamilton, since I took up swimming there and it's now my favorite hobby. I've met kids at Stuyvesant, the majority are very pretentious anyways, and it would have just been a hassle to get to everyday.

I'm not sure where you lived in Bay Ridge or when you left, but I love this neighborhood. I mean, I'm on the fringe of the neighborhood near the towers, but I've grown up with the same kids my whole life, and have had the same neighbors that my dad grew up with too. Neighborhood shops that have served generations are still around (My mother goes to Cangiano's nearly every day). It truly is a small town in the big city. There's even a relatively high amount of Republicans. I don't want my neighborhood to be known as the racist neighborhood.

The demographics are changing anyway, a lot of foreigners are moving in. Not necessarily blacks or hispanics, but an Asian spill over from Brooklyn Chinatown and a large Muslim community. The high wealth core centered around the high school will never disappear though.

I didn't live in Bay Ridge. I commuted to the high school from east flatbush. Public education wasn't all that great in nyc with a few exceptions like Stuyvesant, but the schools really sucked in and around flatbush. I think the neighborhood has always been primarily republican. Few or no black people--surprise surprise.

I'm not surprised at the cops reaction in playing it down. Some of the kids parents who perpetrated the crime may be connected to the mob and they've probably got some influence over how the law gets enforced, particularly when it comes to their own kids getting in trouble.

If any parent listening to this thread, give your child some love of music or/and arts..Get them to play an instrument, draw or sing...

LaGuardia High Shool In Manhattan is probably one of the best High Schools in NYC and students don't have to be SUPER smart to get in.. But they are screened with auditions....

Forum Veteran

Bay ridge is a great area, it has problems but its just as racist as anyother area. If yo ugo to Bed stuy, the have people not liking whites and so on

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    Bay ridge is a great area, it has problems but its just as racist as anyother area. If yo ugo to Bed stuy, the have people not liking whites and so on
    The neighborhoods of Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst, going all the way back to the 70's from my recollection, have always had a special hatred for black people. The white ethnic enclaves in the outer boroughs with lots of Italians have tended to have reps of enormous contempt for black people. In bed sty, anybody black or white who has something nice to rip off or looks like they can be taken is in peril which is the case for any neighborhood with large numbers of poor people regardless of color. Not so much in bed sty anymore from what I understand with all the gentrification.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy77
    The neighborhoods of Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst, going all the way back to the 70's from my recollection, have always had a special hatred for black people.
    I have lived in NYC throughout the time you were here, and to the present, unlike your occasional visits here which, as you stated in another thread, are limited mostly to Manhattan. So you're a tourist now.

There was plenty of racial tension in New York City in the 1970s, but your characterization of Bay Ridge at the time as having a "special hatred for black people" doesn't fit with my recollection. Bay Ridge at that time, especially since remaining somewhat upscale while much of Brooklyn deteriorated, was a very white neighborhood where black people did not venture.

In bed sty, anybody black or white who has something nice to rip off or looks like they can be taken is in peril which is the case for any neighborhood with large numbers of poor people regardless of color.
    Similarly, if you were white, you didn't stroll through Bed Stuy thinking, "Well, I'm OK. I don't have any money."

More mob-connected than Bay Ridge was Bensonhurst, where the archetype of hate crimes in Brooklyn occurred in 1989, when a black teenager, Yusef Hawkins, answering an ad for a car for sale in Bensonhurst, was murdered just for being there.

At any rate, your perceptions are out of date. Both neighborhoods are much more racially diverse.

Look! Black woman in broad daylight in Bay Ridge.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; August 9th, 2006 at 04:47 AM.

Ha, my grandma worked in Lowens for several years. I only live one block away from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I have lived in NYC throughout the time you were here, and to the present, unlike your occasional visits here which, as you stated in another thread, are limited mostly to Manhattan. So you're a tourist now.

There was plenty of racial tension in New York City in the 1970s, but your characterization of Bay Ridge at the time as having a "special hatred for black people" doesn't fit with my recollection. Bay Ridge at that time, especially since remaining somewhat upscale while much of Brooklyn deteriorated, was a very white neighborhood where black people did not venture.
    I would definitely accept your view that bay ridge has changed since the 70's, however, speaking from my own personal experience going to high school in bay ridge in the 70's, hearing with my own ears and seeing with my own eyes, I stand by my recollection. And given my personal experience, it's understandable why black people did not venture to bay ridge (as you say) at that time.

Granted, it's very likely bed sty wasn't safe for white people, but it also wasn't for some black people either, in person nor in property.

Default Bay Ridge from a former resident

I lived in Bay Ridge for 7 years in the 80's and loved it. Would not in anyway associate this neighborhood with Bensonhurst which ethnically is primarily Itailian Amercan. Bay Ridge "proper" to me is bordered to the north by 65th street, east by 5th ave, and west by Narrows. Some people extend the east ern border beyond 5th, into what I would consider Dyker Park. Anyway, Bay Ridge as defined by me is actually fairly ethinically diverse (at least compared to Dyker Park and Besonhurst) but not racially so. Still, I never encountered overt signs of racism while living there. p.s. the term "guido" as used in a previous post, would be considered a slur to many Italian Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy77 View Post
    The neighborhoods of Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst, going all the way back to the 70's from my recollection, have always had a special hatred for black people. The white ethnic enclaves in the outer boroughs with lots of Italians have tended to have reps of enormous contempt for black people. In bed sty, anybody black or white who has something nice to rip off or looks like they can be taken is in peril which is the case for any neighborhood with large numbers of poor people regardless of color. Not so much in bed sty anymore from what I understand with all the gentrification.
    co-sign(expect the gentrification part. It's a problem but not that big). A white person virtual never have to worry about being killed in bedstuy just for being white.

One thing i always found interesting is, how Italians(not all) were discriminated against when coming here and always tried to up one's social status by downing other groups(black). Not to mention that Italians are one of the highest(if not the highest) group of whites with black forefathers. I mean, even Spike said it....
    Last edited by Mayor of Brooklyn; August 21st, 2006 at 12:01 AM. Reason: i have more to add.

I have friends from school who live In Washington Heights, Harlem and Queens and they always talk about how Racist New York is and how corrupt and Racist the Police are (at least in their areas)

But US cities are still incredibly segragated. And I think always will be. Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, STL, NY, LA and Philly are the worst I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor of Brooklyn View Post
    co-sign(expect the gentrification part. It's a problem but not that big). A white person virtual never have to worry about being killed in bedstuy just for being white.

One thing i always found interesting is, how Italians(not all) were discriminated against when coming here and always tried to up one's social status by downing other groups(black). Not to mention that Italians are one of the highest(if not the highest) group of whites with black forefathers. I mean, even Spike said it....
    I think your observation (upping social status by downing others) is generally true of all immigrant groups. The Irish were discriminated against before the Italians, accounting for the tension and rivalry of those ethnic groups reflected during the italian immigration waive. Same with the Germans before the irish.. The story goes on.. the last group in always seems to want to denegrate the group that precedes them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast