Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

Thumbs down No car to school

Listen u need to try a bike. Not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice View Post
    Some people "pretend" for years they still live out of state and pay less in insurance

That's why you can see so many out-of-state plates in many residential neighborhoods in Manhattan...
    But if you get in an accident in your new "pretend" home will your insurance company "pretend" with you?

Or will they say "breach of contract"?

Owning And Driving A Car In Nyc???????????

Fuhgetaboudit......
    Last edited by milleniumcab; August 12th, 2006 at 08:18 AM.

If a sign says:

"No Standing Except Trucks Loading and Unloading 7 A.M.-7 P.M."

Can you park there or not? I don't know what "Standing" is.

The Dude Abides

I'm not sure about this, but I think "no standing" is inclusive of "no parking." Standing is when you're just sitting in your car when it's parked on the street. Sometimes a sign will say "no parking", but standing is allowed. I'm not positive though, so someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct ^^.

I've seen people in my neighborhood get a ticket just sitting in their car in a "No Standing" zone while waiting for friends to come out of a store.

Driving in the city, your best bet is to be a delivery truck since they get away with everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Driving in the city, your best bet is to be a delivery truck since they get away with everything...
    No they don't.

I have regularly seen the delivery trucks with their orange "parking permits" for the day.

If the cop is in a bad mood, they will give them more than one "parking permit" in a day...

The ones I see with this the most often are the mail trucks (UPS/FedEx/DHL).

I think they figure that into the overhead of delivering in the city though....

120 a month is a good deal. I have had a car in NYC for 6 years. It is difficult at times, so unless you really want to put up with it, I would suggest not bringing it.

I lived in Brooklyn for 5 years with a car which was O.K (it was brooklyn heights, so it was difficult) I parked on the street and had to deal with street closures, Alternate side of the street parking, and a whole host of car related troubles.

On the other hand, I could get out the town on the fly with very little thought. Go to a Costco and buy bulk Ramen and TP, ski trips to VT, visit friends in Boston and so on. So the good times off set the bad.

I just moved the the UES and realized that the parking rules change every other day (no parking on Tues- Fri and Mon- Thurs, as opposed to BK's 1 day). I recently put the car in a lot on 97th and 1st for more that double that 120, and that was the cheapest place without parking it in the lot at the "Houses" which seamed a little sketch for me.

Good luck - Oh and never fill up on gas in the island of manhattan.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SilentPandaesq View Post
    ...and a whole host of car related troubles.
    What other kind of problems were there? May I ask what kind of car you have?

Do you offer any suggestions for parking in the Financial District? (On the street) Any suggestions about street parking in general?

I know I'm probably going to get my head bit off for this question. How much of a risk is my car going to be in Harlem, parked on the street. I'm worried about it getting broke into, the out of state tag being a lure. I know it happens in every neighborhood, but is it more likely to happen in Harlem?

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    What other kind of problems were there? May I ask what kind of car you have?
    I have a GMC envoy, but before that I had a Toyota 4Runner. Both Mid sized SUV

Other problems.... Well it is NYC so. Random movie shoots. Agressive parking rule enforcement, Bad parallel parking jobs, People leaving stuff on your windshield, People putting parking tickets from their car on yours, Gas prices, street fairs, pedestrians(i.e. park slope mommies chucking cans at you), Snow removal(i.e. people packing your car in snow so they can get out) and last but not least the general angst of finding a spot. I have friends who live on the West side in the 100's and they can spend an hour on sunday trying to find a spot, only to have to move it the next day for alternate side.

Do you offer any suggestions for parking in the Financial District? (On the street) Any suggestions about street parking in general?
    When I was looking for an apartment I spent a lot of time in the Financial District (Gold and some other apt buildings) The street parking is insane. There is construction on almost every corner, which means that parking is tough without putting it in a lot (which were running about 400/month ).

I know I'm probably going to get my head bit off for this question. How much of a risk is my car going to be in Harlem, parked on the street. I'm worried about it getting broke into, the out of state tag being a lure. I know it happens in every neighborhood, but is it more likely to happen in Harlem?
    Hey, I had my car broken into in Brooklyn heights, across the street from multi-mil dollar homes. The issue is more what do you leave in the car. Most car thiefs are going to steal the car if they want the car. Random theifs are agents of oppertunity. If you leave a T.V. in the car it will eventully get stolen regardless of where you park it. If your car is on the most stolen list then you should think about not parking it on any street. Also, it is generally not worth the risk of breaking into a car when you have no idea of what is in the car. so the less visible stuff you have in there, the better. (i.e. no fancy stero, no xbox, no LCD screen, no bobble-head Figures and for crap's sake NO IPOD.

Thumbs up

You are very helpful, thank you!

How beat and banged up have your cars became from parking in NYC? I have a Hyundai Tiburon, so I'm assuming it shoild be fairly easy to park when I find a spot. I'm glad you also mentioned the ipod, while I don't leave mine in my car, the FM transmitter is in there, so that could be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    You are very helpful, thank you!

How beat and banged up have your cars became from parking in NYC?
    Not horrible, but bad enough to have you cursing when you see it. The desire for a spot is so great that people will squeeze into any spot, regardless of if it requires them to bump and scrape you several times (especially if you are parking in an area where the cars are not new)

Ipod - Basically my car was broken into for a Bass guitar amplifier which i bought used for $100, but it looked expensive. In the car at the same time was a pair of skis that was worth 5 times a much, but was left alone. The point being, if you leave something in your car that looks or is generally known to be expensive, then do not be surprised if someone decides to liberate it. (now to be perfectly honest I have left expensive looking things in my car for several days, and never had a problem.) But it is a risk.

Now when they are broken into, windows are shattered to get in? Do you use ypur car for an everyday commute in the city?

On a nearby street in SoHo (not all that heavily trafficked compared to others but by no means desolate) I see smashed windows on parked cars on a regular basis -- and not always in the dark of night. All it takes is a swift "thump" with a phillips-head screw driver and the window shatters and the car is open. Takes all of 30 seconds for someone to do this and reach in and grab what they want (warning to those SoHo day-trippers who leave their goodies on the back seat while going back for more).

I came out my back door one recent afternoon just in time to see a guy do this right down the block. I yelled and tried to get people to bring attention to him -- but he was a fast runner and long gone before anybody could get near him, and certainly before any NYPD could be called to the scene.

This happens all over NYC -- although it might be even more prevalent in popular shopping areas like SoHo where the thieving-types might figure there are goodies to be got in every other car.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast