Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

Unhappy

I can't decide if I want to bring my car or not. I'd like to have it to get around in, but I'm just afraid parking will be very difficult. I'm not sure.

Has anyone on this board EVER suggested that it was a good idea to bring your car? Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Has anyone on this board EVER suggested that it was a good idea to bring your car? Don't do it.
    Yes, I know that. But, I really would like to have it. Although, sometimes what you want is not the best option.

What's the worst part is figuring out the ridiculous parking signs. Such as this one:

No standing, but you can park there at the meter?

Uh, there's no standing Monday-Friday, 6AM-7PM. You probably use the meter when it's not those hours. I don't even drive, but I could still figure that out.

Congrats! ::Hands Schad a cookie and pats her on the head::

The Dude Abides

As for worrying about leaving your car on the street in Harlem:

I don't really think what neighborhood you're in makes a difference. My mother used to commute to Manhattan by bus from Queens when we used to live there. She got a brand new Camry in 1996, and parked it on a quiet, many would even say a "suburban" street in a leafy enclave of Jamaica. Lots of nice houses and families. Problem was, no one was around during the day, because everyone was off at work. Criminals who know what they want will find areas where this is the case, or more specifically, will find a car they want, and take note of when the owner leaves it unattended for several hours at a time. Within the span of a year, my mother's car was stolen twice, and had to be recovered after apprehending the criminals; and another time, it was completely stripped, that is: all the valuable stuff inside, namely the stereo, the airbags, the steering wheel, the seats, etc., was removed from the car and a shell was left behind, a few blocks away from where it was parked. This all occurred, mind you, despite the presence of a factory-installed alarm, a Club, and a LoJack (the last item being what helped locate the car and catch the criminals). There were also at least three other separate occasions where hubcaps were stolen.

So, the upshot is: no matter where you leave your car, make sure it's a street where there are people constantly walking around. And check to make sure every once in a while that you're not being followed or observed. Otherwise, leave it in a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Takes all of 30 seconds for someone to do this and reach in and grab what they want (warning to those SoHo day-trippers who leave their goodies on the back seat while going back for more).
    ^^Exactly.

NNY:
    No I do not commute with my car. I went to law school in Brooklyn so I would walk everyday. I now go to my Office in Midtown by Subway.

I would advise against using your car everyday. It is time consuming, expensive, and in general not a good idea (not to mention that everyone you know will be asking you to take them and their girlfriend to the Airport, Fairway, Ikea, Hamptons, Jersey shore, Yankee games, and any other random place they think you would not mind driving them too.

Seriously, having a car in manhattan is not easy. It is really expensive. You want to go on a trip to Spain? Put that car in a lot, cause alternate side will get you ticketed and towed ($70 ticket and $300 impound fee)

Drive to work? Keep filing up that tank with expensive-ass manhattan gas and spend an hour trying to find a spot in morning rush, or put it in a lot for the early bird special at $10-$30.

You will find that you will not want to drive because it took so long to get a spot, and you don't want to loose it.

So in short there are not many good points to having a car in manhattan and not putting it in a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    Congrats! ::Hands Schad a cookie and pats her on the head::
    Insulting Forum Members is not allowed, you have recieved an infraction.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Insulting Forum Members is not allowed, you have recieved an infraction.
    It was called sarcasm, not an insult. It was warranted with a comment like "I don't even drive and I could figure that out."

It was called sarcasm, not an insult. It was warranted with a comment like "I don't even drive and I could figure that out."
    Only yours wasn't sarcasm, whenever you involve someone's race or sex its a hate post. But don't stop there, you've already shown your chauvinism towards black people and females. Im a little hurt that my jewish background is feeling no love, just call me a kike and get over with it, Iím itching for even more reasons to ban you.

I actually didn't even take that as a sexist comment, but NYYankee, you are really begging for snark when you write scores of posts about how important driving is to you, then show that you can't follow the logic of a street sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I actually didn't even take that as a sexist comment, but NYYankee, you are really begging for snark when you write scores of posts about how important driving is to you, then show that you can't follow the logic of a street sign.
    Please keep in mind I drive in Tennessee where there are no parking signs. That sign didnt confuse me, I was just bringing up a comment about how some others are confusing to an out of towner. Do you understand now what I was saying Schad?

No, because you're the only person on this thread who seems to be confused by parking signs.

One page ago you posted: "If a sign says: "No Standing Except Trucks Loading and Unloading 7 A.M.-7 P.M." Can you park there or not? I don't know what "Standing" is."

And you prefaced the photo by saying: "What's the worst part is figuring out the ridiculous parking signs. Such as this one... No standing, but you can park there at the meter?"

If you do bring your car, you are going to be a traffic cop's dream, because they do not care that there are no parking rules in Tennessee, just like no one in NYC cares that you grew up in a town where you never saw black people.

When in NYC...

Please keep in mind I drive in Tennessee where there are no parking signs. That sign didnt confuse me, I was just bringing up a comment about how some others are confusing to an out of towner. Do you understand now what I was saying Schad?
    Listen you got the infraction, its not going to be revoked. I have enough of a problem with you mentioning people's sex or race in your posts, I have a real problem when you mention sex or race in accordance with a Forum Member.

You've done enough damage already with your posts in "Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan" and "Harlem". People could understand your apprehension, but your continued barrage of excitable posts has in sensitized them.

I don't know why you're going to school in NYC. NYC is not the city for you.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast