Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I don't know why you're going to school in NYC. NYC is not the city for you.
    I agree. I'll send you a postcard from Miami or L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Uh, there's no standing Monday-Friday, 6AM-7PM. You probably use the meter when it's not those hours.
    I disagree. The meter is only for commercial vehicles from 6 am to 7 pm.

You're probably right, but hey, I tried. It's a good thing that the only thing I park is my ass on a subway seat.

Do you guys have anything more interesting to get into an argument about?

Question

SilentPandaesq, what about harm done to your car due to NYC street conditions. Everytime I'm in a cab I can't help but notice how huge the pot holes are. My car sits low on the ground, so the suspension isnt good as your Envoy or a Town Car.

my partner in nyc has a hummer h2...

I'm amazed at how he gets around.

120 for the night for him!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    what about harm done to your car due to NYC street conditions.
    None really, but my car(s) sat high off the ground.

Everytime I'm in a cab I can't help but notice how huge the pot holes are. My car sits low on the ground, so the suspension isnt good as your Envoy or a Town Car.
    Well this is NYC so the road conditions are...variable. Common sense is more the rule of the day than anything else. If you see a huge hole in the road, avoid it. Generally, there are pleanty of crappy cars driving around NYC on a daily basis so it is not that bad. Then again, there are a lot of broken down cars on the streets of New York too....

Listen, while the benefits of having a car are nice, it is really more of a hardship than anything else. I keep a car so I can visit my parents who live north of the city but not really close to the metro north (also my mom will give me tons of food to take home). I do this about every 6 weeks or so, so it does not make sense to rent a car.

You should really think long and hard about bringing a car to the city if most of your time will be spent on Manhattan on in metro Brooklyn and Queens.

Listen to me.

Do NOT drive your car in the city.

Don't.

No no no.

Am I getting through to you?

I have Mazda MX6 manual and it is hell to drive through the city. From playing slalom around pedestrians, potholes and creative parkers, it is NOT a fun town to drive through on ANY basis.

I have felt physical pain as my car has hit ruts and holes in NYC and know that every bump adds up in the long run. To boot, parking is a biatch and everything cost mega moolah here to keep going.

If I were you, and I still needed my car, I would find a garage somewhere on the outskirts of town where you can get to easily from mass transit, and pay a monthly fee. Your car will be safer and there is a LOT less stress. Although it will cost you.

But, look at it this way, with parking tickets costing ove $100 for just about anything, the first couple of months may end up being very expensive for you anyway.

^^Listen to the Hedge. Listen to me.

Unless you have tons of cash and tons of time it is just not worth it. (not implying that I have either, but I have been doing it for 6 years so I know the secrets... and I have my car in a lot and pay monthly. )

I agree with what everyone else has said; cars and New York donít mix very well together. Please don't bring your car with you. There's already enough congestion on the streets already.

Why don't you sell the car? You'll have more rent money.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by HansonNY View Post

Why don't you sell the car? You'll have more rent money.
    I live in a dorm, so I don't have rent. I'm hopefully going to just be in NY for one or two more semester. So, Im going to need my car for Miami or L.A.

Well, I've came to the conclusion, I'm leaving the car at home. I've decided the wear and tear isnt good for my car, and I need to keep it in good condition. Let's just say I can't wait to get to another city, where cars are part of everyday life.

Miami or L.A.? You're leaving New York?

When I started to follow the forum (way back in 04) you we're so excited about moving to New York. You couldn't wait to get here but now you can't wait to leave. It isn't what you thought it would be?

Anyway good decision about the car. If you're living in a dorm you'll have that extra money to do... whatever you want (well almost).

Good decision on leaving it at home, college years were the one time I really never needed car, and I went to Stony Brook.

You really do not need it.. unless u wanna become the Pace taxi.. i will let all my younger cousins know to get in touch with u

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    I live in a dorm, so I don't have rent.
    Um, duh. Money is money.

Let's just say I can't wait to get to another city, where cars are part of everyday life.
    Dude, you are REALLY not winning anyone over with that attitude.

You sound like you are hating NY already.

Ninjah, Im not trying to win anyone over here. Those here that like me, thanks. Those who dont, I dont care this is the internet. I dont hate NY, I just dislike some things about it.

HansonNY- Yeah I was excited, and Im glad I came to NY. It has been an experience most people dont get the chance to do. I like NY, but there are some things I dont like about it. I want a more car friendly city, with a warm climate year round. L.A. and Miami fit that bill. Plus, they offer the same type of stuff NYC does.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast