Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

Forum Veteran

Just curious - what is it about having a car that's so appealing to you? Where do you plan to drive to?

I just like to drive, and I dont care for the subway. Cars are a passion of mine. I would drive from my building in Harlem, to school at Pace and to work in Midtown.

The Dude Abides

I'm not a big fan of subways either, but they're the best way to get around in Manhattan, (second only to walking, for not-too-long distances). I would never, ever consider driving to work or school in New York City, especially if my residence were located in the same borough.

I can understand your passion for cars, NYYankee. I'm fond of them too, and I do enjoy driving. But I plan on living in Manhattan when I'm older, and unless I am well enough off to store a car in my apartment building for occasional weekend use, I don't expect to own one. The costs would just outweigh the enjoyment for me.

I would also like to add that if you do indeed move to a car-centric city such as an Atlanta, or Miami, or Los Angeles, that you will find your enjoyment of driving will decrease proportionally with how necessary driving becomes to your everyday life. I have a friend who lives 20 miles away from his place of work in downtown Atlanta, and it takes him over an hour on average (and sometimes close to two hours) to get to work, or to get home. And he sacrifices an ungodly amount of his earnings on gas, insurance, and maintenance. The worst part is: he has no other option, because there is no train, or bus, or subway, that can get him there from his suburb.

I've come to the realization that enjoyable driving is becoming increasingly rare all over the country, not only as traffic gets worse in our major metropolitan areas, but as gas prices continue to rise and every additional minute you spend sitting in traffic is a fraction of a gallon wasted. The only kind of enjoyable driving I can imagine would occur on back country roads and coastal highways - exactly the kind of driving that is least likely to be perfunctory.

I can only hope that if driving is really a long-term interest of yours, that you find a place where you can really enjoy it and not come to regret that you did not to choose to live in a city where owning a car is not a disadvantage.

I understand what you're saying Pianoman. But, I see it as, would I rather sit in traffic or use the subway. My choice is, obviously, the traffic. Thanks to all who replied in this thread. This will be my last post on this forum.

I agree with pianoman11686.

Iím around your age and love cars myself but while the subway is sometimes behind schedule, smelly and dirty in parts, it's the best way to get around the city. The MTA is using the brand new R160's, R143's, and 142's, which are cleaner than the older redbirds. I'm not fond of some aspects of the subway either but those aspects come with underground transit. Your dorm is close to the A train one the higher of the rated subway lines in the city according to Straphangers. In my view the New York subway is the best system in the world.

If you really dislike subways you could always catch a cab or phone a livery cab. You can also rent a car when you want to get out of town. I understand New York isn't for everyone but it's possible to live in New York without a car, millions of New Yorker's have been doing it their entire life.

In New York it's better to watch the cars stream by rather than to drive them. New York is also a very walkable city and getting around by foot is not only healthy but enjoyable when the weather is nice. You can hop off the subway and walk through Chinatown on your way to school. Make a route your route. Personally, I love getting off the bus or subway in the morning and walking the rest of the way to school. It's also nice to see morning happenings and the rhythm on the street.

Sorry to hear that you're leaving the city. I and many other members of this fourm would love to be in your situation right now. New York is the only city I can imagine myself moving to but it's not for everyone. I hope you don't move away from New York only to resent this decision a couple months later.
    Last edited by HansonNY; August 16th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    I understand what you're saying Pianoman. But, I see it as, would I rather sit in traffic or use the subway. My choice is, obviously, the traffic.
    And how old are you?

I rest my case.

I understand what you're saying Pianoman. But, I see it as, would I rather sit in traffic or use the subway. My choice is, obviously, the traffic. Thanks to all who replied in this thread. This will be my last post on this forum.
    HAHAHA in 2 years of working I want to hear that you would rather traffic...

I currently own 2 cars (thus I dont live in Manhattan) a Mazda Rx-8 (3rd Person on LI to take delivery ) and a Galant (its my daily driver/station car) i have had a moded Civic EX Coupe, a Grand AM GT.. and Auto Cross, I think I would go on the list of those who might be called an auto enthusiasts.

But let me tell you driving to work is one of the worst things in the world! If you live in any major city it will waste so much of your life you will just dispise driving for work..it becomes a chore over a passion at that point.

And LA!!!! Car Friendly.. LA is a town you NEED a car to get around and traffic is worse then NYC!

To each his own.. and I guess we only learn from our own mistakes I know I have!

...This will be my last post on this forum.
    Thats too bad, I was looking forward to the following posts, with the subline "How come no one warned me?"

1. I was three hours late for class but only two hours late for work.
    2. Good body-shop in Manhattan?
    3. My car was ripped off.
    4. I used mace on a gang trying to rob me and was pistol whipped instead.
    5. I decided this is not my last post on Wired New York, because Im afraid to leave my apartment.

shocka is right driving becomes a chore more than a leisurely activity.

We've offered advice and tried reasoning but, I can't understand why someone would be so adamant about driving with today's gas prices and highway congestion. Maybe you had a very bad experience on the subway (we've all had our fair share and we still ride it) but it sounds like you still have some growing up to do.

BTW, didn't I read a post from you last month where you wrote "this is my last post."?
    Last edited by HansonNY; August 16th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

He wants to tell everyone that his feelings are paramount and that at his age, he knows far more than the rest of us about what he wants.

That is all possible, but him saying he would rather be in traffic tells me that he has never really spent every workday IN traffic.

The major bother, aside from all those mentioned, is that while you are in traffic, you can't DO anything else! You can't read, watch video on your PSP/Ipod or whatever other device you cart along, you can't sleep either. You have to remain alert for 40 minutes to 1:20 on a regular basis!

And then he goes on to say that LA is car friendly. Look, while you are online busy downloading...um..."art", take some time to look up the Steve Martin flik "LA Story" and see how he drives to work in the morning. It is not far from the truth, sadly enough (Funny as hell to watch though).

One thing for you NYY, if you are still lurking, that would be good for you to keep in mind.

The reason why so many people have cars OUTSIDE of the city is because there is NOTHING TO DO THAT THEY CAN GET TO WITHOUT THEM!

Although NYC is a little busy and crowded for my taste, and not having a yard is kind of depressing, I know that when I am out of Hoboken, I am going to miss being able to walk to the restaurant, go to a dozen different bars, or hop on the bus that stops across the street to go into the city for a day (in 15 minutes if you time it right!). Having to drive to meet your friends at a bar has to be one of the worst things I can think of.

But on that note. Hope you do not get mugged by a group of minorities trying to steal the ipod you left on the backseat of your car when you parked it in Harlem.

:P
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; August 17th, 2006 at 08:44 AM.

oh oh oh I want to add.. i had a car in astoria.. a man hole exploded under it... ConEd actually has a process for this.. I was told this is extremly common.. some crazy stuff happens with cars in nyc!

HansonNY- Yeah I was excited, and Im glad I came to NY. It has been an experience most people dont get the chance to do. I like NY, but there are some things I dont like about it. I want a more car friendly city, with a warm climate year round. L.A. and Miami fit that bill. Plus, they offer the same type of stuff NYC does.
    Just because LA and Miami dont have subway systems doesn't equate to them being more car friendly. In fact the traffic in LA is worse than NYC.

Plus, they offer the same type of stuff NYC does.
    also this is not true.

Forum Veteran

I feel like I fell asleep in the middle of the movie and can't figure out the plot holes. Is this the same NYYankee?

Forum Veteran

Its funny actually, Yankee posts for years about NYC and moving here and then when he is here he leaves right away becuase he cant drive everywhere and loves his car. Well Yankee if you new anything about NYC and maybe studied it before coming here, its a mass transit town, not a great place to take the old car out for a joy ride!!!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast