Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

I agree with Brian. I to have just read through the entire thread, and have some very important points that many forumers here mentioned, like:
    1. The costs of having a car in any part of New York City is going to be expensive.
    2. Not worth it, with NYC's mass transit system and buses. Just after being in the city for 4 days, I prefer the subway over any type of transportation! I love it.
    3. Finding a parking space (like the price, anywhere!) is going to be very, very hard and by the time you find one .. you're probably going to be late to that place that you needed to drive to quickly.
    With the subway .. it's fast, and rarely is it late. Unless they switch your subway line from express to local like they did when I was riding one morning. Boy were there some ticked off New Yorkers.

Like Brian said, the free advice you can get here from actual New Yorkers is very impressive and extremely helpful for someone like me (a tourist) or someone who is planning to move to New York (again .. like me). Take the advice that these people are giving you, and use it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Benniest
    1. Not worth it, with NYC's mass transit system and buses. Just after being in the city for 4 days, I prefer the subway over any type of transportation! I love it.
    2. Finding a parking space (like the price, anywhere!) is going to be very, very hard and by the time you find one .. you're probably going to be late to that place that you needed to drive to quickly.

What do you mean "not worth it"? Isn't it a relative term?

Some people say it's not worth going to restaurants because you can cook food for much less at home - and you need to leave tips to all those waiters...

I have a car. I pay 300 bucks per month for parking. It is expensive, but I love to be able to drive around every weekend. It's actually not that difficult to find metered parking on Saturday in some places in the city - especially during the day, and all metered parking is free on Sunday. I have friends and relatives in other parts of the city. Taking a subway train during the weekend is a pain. Also, having the ability to drive to upstate NY, NJ or Long Island to visit beaches, parks, malls, etc. is very convenient.

I am glad that most people here in the city feel it's not worth having a car. Otherwise, I would be paying even more for parking, and it would be even more difficult to find a parking space anywhere.

Maybe it's just a personal preference then. I live in Iowa and I don't like to drive, so that must be it. Again, maybe it's just a personal preference that I like the subway system more than driving in the city.

Also, when I move, if I'm going to make trips upstate, to NJ or to Long Island, I'll most likely be renting a car or carpooling with friends.

EDIT: According to CarRentals.com, to rent a nice car for 2 days, it's going to cost me $117.88, which is including tax. Like I said, if I'm going upstate, NJ or Long Island, I'm going to want to rent a car, instead of spending $300+/month to keep a car full time.
    Last edited by The Benniest; April 3rd, 2008 at 11:37 AM.

That $$ ^ for car rental @ weekend is very low -- where is the pickup?

Info please.

The last time I rented a car in Manhattan it = $300 + / weekend

Next time I will check out rentals from Newark Airport or some other easily accessible spot off the island.

At CarRentals.com, it just asked for a pick-up place and at random I just put New York, NY. I'm sure people can go into more detail and put JFK, and LaGuardia, but I was simple.

http://www.carrentals.com/rentalrate...=1207239281984

^^ Those are just random car rentals at very low prices apparently (for 2 days). The cars and prices available appear to be changing throughout the day though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Benniest View Post
    At CarRentals.com, it just asked for a pick-up place and at random I just put New York, NY. I'm sure people can go into more detail and put JFK, and LaGuardia, but I was simple.

http://www.carrentals.com/rentalrate...=1207239281984

^^ Those are just random car rentals at very low prices apparently (for 2 days). The cars and prices available appear to be changing throughout the day though.
    It's not that simple. Rentals for a weekend in NYC are more expensive than you indicate. You also want to pay full insurance. Otherwise, you will pay dearly for any scratch/damage to the car. That makes it more expensive. Secondly, it's also a question of luxury. Imagine it's very cold (or very hot) outside. I like to be able to get into my own car, put on heat (air conditioner) and drive anywhere I want to drive without dealing with car rentals or friends... You're lucky if you have a friend with a car that you can carpool with. I don't. In fact, most of my friends are looking for me to give them a lift...

In my case, my parents live in Brooklyn and I visit them every weekend. Taking a subway Friday night to Brooklyn and then back is not something I want to do. Driving is very convenient, comfortable and fun.

The only time I've missed having a car actually has very little to do with having a car, and much more to do with just general life in the city.

(the situation in question? having a random craving for some sort of (most likely junk) food from the grocery store at a relatively late hour, and not being able to hop in the car and drive to a 24-hour grocery store. which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't exactly a situation worth crying about

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice View Post
    It's not that simple. Rentals for a weekend in NYC are more expensive than you indicate. You also want to pay full insurance. Otherwise, you will pay dearly for any scratch/damage to the car. That makes it more expensive. Secondly, it's also a question of luxury. Imagine it's very cold (or very hot) outside. I like to be able to get into my own car, put on heat (air conditioner) and drive anywhere I want to drive without dealing with car rentals or friends... You're lucky if you have a friend with a car that you can carpool with. I don't. In fact, most of my friends are looking for me to give them a lift...

In my case, my parents live in Brooklyn and I visit them every weekend. Taking a subway Friday night to Brooklyn and then back is not something I want to do. Driving is very convenient, comfortable and fun.
    Sounds like you are very self serving and have the money to waste on parking, gas and insurance.

Seriously, $300 a month? How much do you pay for auto insurance? How much did you pay for your car? Take ALL of that $$ and see how much it costs you for the time you actually spend on it.

The only thing making me keep my own vehicle in Hoboken (where the costs are about half of what you are saying on a vehicle that was paid off 10 years ago, yes, 10) are my parents in teh burbs and their house at the Jersey Shore. Otherwise, with the milage I puton it, even a Zip car would be less expensive.

Now with the way I started this post, I know I have put you on the defensive, but you have to realize MS, you are coming off like anyone who does not like a car has something wrong with them. It just sounds funny.

Justifying a car because you can turn on the AC?

And not to go all hippie tree-hugger, but seriously? This is not a city where you need (nor should you have, honestly) a car for daily driving purposes 99% of the time. I just don't see the point of blatantly wasting resources when you don't need to, I guess. If you own a car for some of the other reasons outlined (parents in the suburbs, etc.), by all means - that makes sense. But for daily driving purposes in Manhattan? WTF?

Hi all,

I'm originally from Philadelphia, where I would leave my car in the street for weeks (sometimes months) on end without moving it. Philly only has street cleaning in a couple areas. The rest of the city has dirty streets and that's the way people like it.

Then I moved to New Jersey, where I became acquainted with the joys of street cleaning and moving it every week between the months of April and October.

Now I'm moving on up to Manhattan. What's the deal with street cleaning restrictions? How many times a week do you typically have to move it (2, 3+ a week?) Are there really no streets on the entire island that don't have street cleaning? I'm moving to Harlem, if that makes a difference.

How about parking near a train station in an outer borough, or somewhere close-by in Hudson County or Westchester?

I'm probably going to sell my car eventually, but I'm wondering what my options would be until then.
    Thanks in advance.

The only time I've missed having a car actually has very little to do with having a car, and much more to do with just general life in the city.

(the situation in question? having a random craving for some sort of (most likely junk) food from the grocery store at a relatively late hour, and not being able to hop in the car and drive to a 24-hour grocery store. which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't exactly a situation worth crying about
    You could lace up your sneakers and walk a couple blocks, couldn't ya?

Most of the pharmacies and many mom-and-pops are open all night with any kind of junk food snack you could want, and they're all over the place. I never drive and I've never gone hungry in Manhattan because there's usually one every few blocks. So many that we often criticize their ubiquity here. Then there are the Korean delis that are always open if you're willing to pay a little extra.

If, however, you are living in one of those new "neighborhoods" like West 42nd then I understand, it's like a no man's land over there. A person could starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    You could lace up your sneakers and walk a couple blocks, couldn't ya?

Most of the pharmacies and many mom-and-pops are open all night with any kind of junk food snack you could want, and they're all over the place. I never drive and I've never gone hungry in Manhattan because there's usually one every few blocks. So many that we often criticize their ubiquity here. Then there are the Korean delis that are always open if you're willing to pay a little extra.

If, however, you are living in one of those new "neighborhoods" like West 42nd then I understand, it's like a no man's land over there. A person could starve to death.
    Yeah, you could be walking for DAYS before you ever saw a place to get a bite to eat!!!

Funny, but OT.... Lets get back to topic!

OK, so maybe "starve to death" is a bit of an exagerration, but it is desolate over there.

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd View Post
    If, after all this, he still brings his car to NYC, he deserves what he gets. NO WAY would I think a car is an important part to life in NYC and I've lived here most of my life, in Manhattan.
    If that "he" you're talking about is me, then no, I didn't bring it. My father sold it actually. I do drive Zipcars to the airport and NJ at times though. They're better for my needs.

I've actually made an entire change of mind regarding car ownership in NY.

I ride my bicycle to college and to work now. Who would've thunk it right!?
    Last edited by NewYorkDoc; June 11th, 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Sounds like you are very self serving and have the money to waste on parking, gas and insurance.

Seriously, $300 a month? How much do you pay for auto insurance? How much did you pay for your car? Take ALL of that $$ and see how much it costs you for the time you actually spend on it.
    I did not notice this outrageous post in April

I don't have that much money "to waste". However, I find having a car very convenient. As I said, both me and my wife have parents and friends in Brooklyn. Visiting them on a weekend by subway would be very difficult and time-consuming. So, having a car helps. I can also get to the beach or park in the summer - or a good store (like Fairway on 125th St) easily. So again, it's about convenience. I pay around $1000/year for insurance. What you spend or waste money on is a question of preference. Some people spend a lot of money of clothes or buy expensive shoes.

How much did I pay for my car? About 25K. But I did not try to buy the least expensive one (mine has leather, climate control, wood trip, etc) and I bought it brand new. I know people who buy a BWM 3-series for 37K and simply love it. One of my relatives bought a used Mercedes for 28K and cannot be happier. So again, it's a question or personal preference. Relatively speaking, I spend way more on my apartment than on my car. My mortgage for a relatively small Manhattan apartment is by far the biggest chunk of my expenses here. Before that, I lived in Brooklyn in a rent-stabilized apartment - paid $1000/mo and paid $140/mo for parking (rented a driveway). I may go back to that lifestyle because it's the apartment costs that are killing me every month...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast