Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 136

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

  1. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    I understand what you're saying Pianoman. But, I see it as, would I rather sit in traffic or use the subway. My choice is, obviously, the traffic. Thanks to all who replied in this thread. This will be my last post on this forum.
    You need a reality check; you would prefer to live in a city with poor mass transit so that you can sit in traffic for hours (maybe more than 10) per week? I grew up in Houston and Iíve lived in San Antonio and Lubbock and I hate driving. When you donít have access to a car or when you only own a car as a luxury you enjoy driving, especially out in the country or when you go on a rare roadtrip; however, when your daily life depends on the car, when you must drive to work, you will hate your car and driving, you will hate your city and your situation, you will hate your life. You will also hate the fact that you have to drive in order to do anything, like grocery shopping, eating out and entertainment.

  2. #107
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rutherford
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    I hate it already!!!

    Actually, I have gotten spoiled being within walking distance to just about anything I need on a day-to-day basis. Coming from the suburbs, I was never that put-off by driving to the mall, or the store or anywhere a short distance away, I just walked out the door, got in, and found parking easily atthe place I was going. Almost no traffic.

    but in the city? Where it takes 10 minutes to walk to my car which I pay $185 a month to park and $700 a year (down from the $2000 a year when it, and I, were relatively "new") to fight through traffic to get across manhattan to Queens, or out of the city area to almost anywhere (mall, family, whatever) is just a PITA.

    I am not going to give it up, however. I am at a balance point. The car itself is 13.5 years old now with less than 90K on it. I paid $20K for it new. It gets me to my parents, her parents, the malls that are not Jersey City oriented and located, and down the shore.

    But I don't know if I would be able to do the same in NYC. The insurance would go up, parking is either $$$ or a daily PITA, and you are starting in the center of traffic no matter what direction you go! family might be a reason to keep the car, but who knows.....

    So my position stands. There are very few mitigating circumstances, besided just plain old being spoiled, that validate car ownership in NYC. I don't think people coming into the city should plan on that, especially in Manhattan. The further out you go, the moe likely you will not only want one, but need one as well. But in the city center? 99.99% nope.

  3. #108

    Default Driving and owning a car in Manhattan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I hate it already!!!

    Actually, I have gotten spoiled being within walking distance to just about anything I need on a day-to-day basis. Coming from the suburbs, I was never that put-off by driving to the mall, or the store or anywhere a short distance away, I just walked out the door, got in, and found parking easily atthe place I was going. Almost no traffic.

    but in the city? Where it takes 10 minutes to walk to my car which I pay $185 a month to park and $700 a year (down from the $2000 a year when it, and I, were relatively "new") to fight through traffic to get across manhattan to Queens, or out of the city area to almost anywhere (mall, family, whatever) is just a PITA.

    I am not going to give it up, however. I am at a balance point. The car itself is 13.5 years old now with less than 90K on it. I paid $20K for it new. It gets me to my parents, her parents, the malls that are not Jersey City oriented and located, and down the shore.

    But I don't know if I would be able to do the same in NYC. The insurance would go up, parking is either $$$ or a daily PITA, and you are starting in the center of traffic no matter what direction you go! family might be a reason to keep the car, but who knows.....

    So my position stands. There are very few mitigating circumstances, besided just plain old being spoiled, that validate car ownership in NYC. I don't think people coming into the city should plan on that, especially in Manhattan. The further out you go, the moe likely you will not only want one, but need one as well. But in the city center? 99.99% nope.
    I don't care for public transportation. I also don't like public transportation. I am from L.A. I will save up money my brother will help me buy a used car after I will have a new job. Right now I have been unemployed since November 17th,2008. I will rent a car in Manhattan while I will be on vacation in New York City.

  4. #109
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    And you claim to have visited NYC in the past??????

  5. #110
    Senior Member 718Bound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Long Island :('til summer
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxbombers View Post
    I don't care for public transportation. I also don't like public transportation. I am from L.A. I will save up money my brother will help me buy a used car after I will have a new job. Right now I have been unemployed since November 17th,2008. I will rent a car in Manhattan while I will be on vacation in New York City.
    Good luck with that! Out of curiosity why after reading 8 pages of NYers telling other how much it is a bad idea to drive in NYC and you will not take their advice? A great thing about NYC is it's public transportation! Maybe if you don't like the idea of taking of public transportation you should stick with LA... Maybe you are set in the LA "I must drive everywhere" mentality. Maybe when in New York you should experience it how NY'ers do? What do you have against public transit? In a city where Owen Wilson takes the subway and Jon Stewart takes cabs why do you feel you are above it?

    It's just amazing how people come here looking for advice read 8 ages of NY'ers telling them not to drive, but you have some who feel they need to, or are above the great transportation system NYC has...

  6. #111

    Default

    ^^ Well said. NYC is the only major U.S. city where more than half of households do not own a vehicle.

  7. #112
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Wink

    Mainly because we don't have room for them lol!

  8. #113

    Default Driving and owning a car in Manhattan

    Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Mainly because we don't have room for them lol!
    Next time I will be in New York City even Manhattan I will use public transportation for the first time instead of riding rental cars riding to Southern Connecticut to see my relatives on my mom's side of the family. Yes Los Angeles is automobile friendly. Some streets in L.A. the buses on both sides of the streets only run once and hour on Sundays,holidays the those buses don't run at all. On my street in L.A. the buses on both sides of the street only run once and hour the buses don't run on Sunday and also on holidays. Other streets in Los Angeles the buses don't run at all during the weekends. Los Angeles is so wide spread out. New York City is close to together. And I will be in New York City next summer on vacation.

  9. #114

    Default

    Renting a car for a trip to Connecticut is acceptable.

    However, renting a car while in Manhattan is foolish. Besides the rental fees, you will spend much of your time sitting in traffic, and pay to park the car.

  10. #115
    Senior Member 718Bound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Long Island :('til summer
    Posts
    113

    Default

    I think one of the biggest things with people coming into NYC and wanting to drive and own a car and not want to use public transportation is because of the stigma associated with the type of person who must rely on public transportation in their city. Hopefully they will check out the transportation and see it's the most common, cheapest, and easiest way to get around from just every type of New Yorker out there, from rich to poor...

  11. #116
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    Or just take cabs.

  12. #117
    Senior Member 718Bound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Long Island :('til summer
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Blah, I will only use gypsy cabs.

  13. #118

    Default Driving and owning a car in Manhattan

    Quote Originally Posted by 718Bound View Post
    Blah, I will only use gypsy cabs.
    I also will ride in different taxi cabs in Manhattan. And including the rest of New York City.

  14. #119
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Driving a car in NYC can be bad for your health.

    Road rage is always just around the corner. Witness those sorry individuals leaning on the horn as traffic crawls to a stop when some impatient fool blocks the box.

    Walking along Downtown sidewalks during the rush hour (or cautiously venturing out into the street on these busy Holiday afternoons when vendors jam the pedestrian walkways) I can beat a slow string of vehicular traffic navigating the narrows of Lower Broadway.

    At almost any time when the sun is up the subway will get me from Downtown to Harlem in 20 minutes. Up above on the crowded streets it would easily take twice that time (if not more).

  15. #120
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    Contrast that to the individuals leaning on their horns because the lead car has decided to not block the box.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This is driving me nuts!!!
    By softsecret in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM
  2. UES to EWR - Driving (Best Way)
    By TipsyMcStagger in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM
  3. Home developer builds justification for owning an SUV
    By asg in forum World Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
  4. Legal Driving Age
    By ligel in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2005, 11:01 PM
  5. Driving from Florida to NYC
    By brian_fl in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 28th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software