Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

That ^ is the other type of idiot .

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxbombers View Post
    Next time I will be in New York City even Manhattan I will use public transportation for the first time instead of riding rental cars riding to Southern Connecticut to see my relatives on my mom's side of the family. Yes Los Angeles is automobile friendly.

Friendly? GMAMFB!!!! Driving through LA was a NIGHTMARE in some situations. Highways 7+ lanes wide and having to drive everywhere when everyone else was driving!

EEK!

Although not the BEST of movies, Steve Martin's LA story kind of summed it up best about getting through traffic. Rent it, you will get a chuckle!

Some streets in L.A. the buses on both sides of the streets only run once and hour on Sundays,holidays the those buses don't run at all.
    Most of Cali is like that. I still find it odd that the state with the MOST stringent environmental advocates in the nation has the worst urban mass transit I have seen in a major city environment.

San-fran had, I think, maybe 2 main bus lines. If you did not have a car in college/grad school, you were stuck on campus.

Hell, if you did not have a car you could not even get to some areas of CAMPUS easily!!! (My classes were over a mile from the dorms!!!!)

On my street in L.A. the buses on both sides of the street only run once and hour the buses don't run on Sunday and also on holidays.
    You kind of said that already, only it was "some streets" and not "my street"...

Other streets in Los Angeles the buses don't run at all during the weekends. Los Angeles is so wide spread out. New York City is close to together. And I will be in New York City next summer on vacation.
    OK. A little disjointed there.

LA does have SIGNIFICANT sprawl. It is not as confined as NYC, so it just spread everywhere. There were no docks or other districts founded, so it did not have to merge quite as much as you see in Queens and Brooklyn.

But LA could still be a major mass transit hub if they did it right. They would just have to think about it differently. They would have to get people concentrated at certain drop points (park-and-ride) and make it so that they saved money, time or just plain effort coming in in the morning.

In NYC, it is all three in a lot of cases! (Car commute can have you sitting at a bridge/tunnel for an hour on some days).

So BB, unless you are planning to go FAR outside of NYC (like you said, CT), don't even bother renting. It just is not worth it. Get a weekly unlimited pass and just go around town!

24/7!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    That ^ is the other type of idiot .
    That aint no idiot.

That, my friend, is an impatient arse.

From a Brookings Institution report on carbon footprints for US metro areas:

Lowest per-capita metro areas

In 2000

1. Honolulu
    2. New York
    3. Los Angeles
    4.Portland

In 2005

1. Honolulu
    2. Los Angeles
    3. Portland
    4. New York

During the period 2000-2005, the average per capita footprint of the 100 largest metro areas and of the nation increased 1.1 percent (transportation) and 2.2 percent (residential).

Metropolitan Los Angeles’s combined per capita footprint increased 0.35 percent.The transportation portion of Los Angeles’s per capita footprint decreased 1.0 percent. The residential portion of Los Angeles’s per capita footprint increased 4.2 percent.

Metropolitan New York’s combined per capita footprint increased 7.73 percent. The transportation portion of New York’s per capita footprint increased 12.5 percent.. The residential portion of New York’s per capita footprint increased 2.4 percent.

NY metro still ranks first in carbon emitted from highway usage, but we're going in the wrong direction.

Full report

Metro area profiles

The question is raised:

What caused the increase?

It isn't automotive traffic, we are at the max sustainable now and i do not see cars getting smokier....

Is it the increase in permanent residents in NYC proper? Offices need to be heated less than homes, maybe people living AND working in the city has caused the shift.....

Yes, it is automotive traffic.

The residential portion is not at issue, insofar as the increase is similar to the national metro average.

But clearly an increase of 12.5% vs 1.1% is a red flag.

The report covers metro-areas; it's not broken down to cities. But as was shown in various studies conducted in the Congestion Charge thread, even within NYC limits, auto usage has been increasing.

Default Driving and owning a car in Manhattan

I also mean my street in L.A. The street north of my street the buses run once and 7 days a week and the street south of my street buses any where bewteen every eight minutes to once an hour at different times from morning to night time. When I saw the outside of Old Yankee Stadium? I saw a bus goint toward old Yankee Stadium on Wednesday,October 10th,2007. I don't know the bus routes and I also don't know the buses. How often do the buses run in Manhattan,The Bronx,Queens,Brooklyn and Staten Island all of New York City?
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; December 30th, 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote

Bronxbombers: It's not necessary to quote entire posts, especially posts directly above your own, which don't have to be quoted at all.

See Forum Issues > Forum Rules of Conduct > Posting Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Yes, it is automotive traffic.

The residential portion is not at issue, insofar as the increase is similar to the national metro average.

But clearly an increase of 12.5% vs 1.1% is a red flag.

The report covers metro-areas; it's not broken down to cities. But as was shown in various studies conducted in the Congestion Charge thread, even within NYC limits, auto usage has been increasing.
    It's a small quote!

Wow, I can't see how automotive could have gone up THAT much in NYC is such a short space!!!!

Where were they all coming from? Or was this the tail end of the SUV Explosion?

Don't make me come over there.

I know the reports are long, but the profiles one is set up so that you can go forward through the pages quickly, and the only text that changes is the study area.

The NY metro area used for this report is listed as:
    New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA

It's a bit confusing, but NYC alone is not being measured.

We know that outside NYC, mass transit is not exactly exemplary in the region; so as the suburbs increase in population and spread out in area, it's easy to see why the numbers are going up.

Default Driving and owning a car in Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Don't make me come over there.

I know the reports are long, but the profiles one is set up so that you can go forward through the pages quickly, and the only text that changes is the study area.

The NY metro area used for this report is listed as:
    New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA

It's a bit confusing, but NYC alone is not being measured.

We know that outside NYC, mass transit is not exactly exemplary in the region; so as the suburbs increase in population and spread out in area, it's easy to see why the numbers are going up.
    While I will be in Manhattan I will be taking public transportation and looking out the windows on buses and taxi cabs. to see people that own cars in Manhattan.

Bronxbombers: I sent you a PM. I suggest you read it.

The 3rd line of the billboard read "about parking your car".
    ...but we know that...

People don't think in their car!
    ...especially when they use it in NYC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/placenamehere/4739034675/

This thread has been enlightening, and I'm glad, after all these years, I found it. Since I'm in a posting mood, I'll discuss (my) cars in the city and also a few quick tips for this and that. So when I moved to NYC in 2007, I brought my car with me. My wife to be and I were living on Roosevelt Island (in the Octagon). After 1 month of paying, I believe, $300, and using the car once (some kind of shopping trip), I quickly abandoned it back to my parents. I then, happily went 7 years without a car (although with a super handy zipcar membership) until it was getting close to leaving the city last year. We bought a car in anticipation, and it was the worst 2 months of my life. In the Heights it would take an hour sometimes to find a non-garage space, and in fact, I would frequently park up by Dyckman and ride the subway back to the apartment on 181st. Never again (on the assumption I move back to NYC someday, potentially). Ok, but now for a few good car tips:

1.) If you own your own car and feel like going for an evening drive, the carwash at Dyckman and Broadway is only $3 from 7pm-7am. THE BEST.
    2.) Rentals get cheaper as you move up (and off) the island. A day in a car from the Battery Tunnel Garage (I believe it's Hertz in the garage) was over $400 the last time I checked. If you need a car but don't want to 'leave town,' then it's about $100/day from the garages on 116th, 145th, and 190th sts. All have great subway access. If you want to rent really cheap and have an extra 20 minutes on your hands (and are travelling north or east, but preferably not south/west), rentals from Yonkers are excellent. It's your average $30 a day. They will pick you up from either the Yonkers MNR, the 1 (242nd st), or the 2 (241st st). I bet they'd get you from Woodlawn or Wakefield on MNR too, but I never tried it. If you're traveling to points south (like AC, Wildwood, Ocean City, Newark Delaware, etc.), the rentals from 30th St Station in Philly are fair (~$50 a day last time I went), and you can just take the train there first, which is faster than driving down there anyway.
    3.) Parking was such a bear some mornings, with alternate side parking, that I just drove to work because it was $23 a day at the 2 garages closest to my apt and only a few bucks more in Chelsea. I recommend the garage behind Gristedes between 8th and 9th on, hmm, maybe 26th? The guys there always took good care of the car and were good driving a manual.
    4.) There are a number of garages in the Heights with pretty good monthly rates (well below the Manhattan avg), if you're looking to stash the car somewhere in Manhattan. The best daily rate was in the garage at Tryon Gardens on Broadway between the 1 and the A stops at 190th. If I recall correctly, it was the only place under $20 all in per day.
    5.) It's not generally cheap, but due to weather and delays, one of the better ways to get out of town can be a one way rental from either of the NYC airports to any number of places. You can do this to/from almost any city upstate (Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, etc), as well as major cities along the coast.

Anyway, hope all that helps a little bit, thanks to anyone crazy enough to show up to this thread 4 years late with me and take notice.

Good post.

I did not own a car while I lived in Manhattan, but I did prior to that when I lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island. Street parking in Bay Ridge was tough but doable. Basically I lived 10 blocks from the point where the alternate side parking rule hours changed - so I would park on the "wrong side" until 7:45 or so, drive the 10 blocks, and park again when once it was legal to do so. . This worked out pretty well for me but that was a long time ago. I have no idea if the rules have changed since.

In Staten Island I had a space.

It was much easier for me to rent a car than own one once I moved to Manhattan. I could usually get decent corporate rates at the major airports sometimes even in the city- $60 - $120 a weekend day (normally more toward the $60 range) depending on the days and availability. If you work for a major NYC based corporation, there is a chance you can get a discounted rate through your employer.

If, as I, many of your excursions are to Long Island, you might also consider off-peak fares on the LIRR. I found it reliable, and efficient.

EDIT:

One other tip for potential NYC car owners. Many of my friends who owned cars would essentially chase the 3 month teaser rates that would always seem to be available on the far west side. Basically, they would get coupons with introductory pricing for monthly spaces at $250- $300 or so,that would expire in 3 months. As the teaser rates expired, they would find another lot offering another 3 month introductory rate and park there. The lots were not conveniently located, and they were outdoor, but if you didn't use your car a lot, it could work.

I have another friend who parks his car in a lot in Brooklyn about 45 minute subway ride from where he lives on the UWS. Not cheap, but I believe cheaper.
    Last edited by eddhead; February 23rd, 2015 at 10:16 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast