Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

Default Driving and owning a car in Manhhattan

There is a really good chance I'm bringing my car to the city this semester. So does anyone have any tips about parking, traffic, good ways to get from Harlem to Pace University etc. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee View Post
    There is a really good chance I'm bringing my car to the city this semester. So does anyone have any tips about parking, traffic, good ways to get from Harlem to Pace University etc. Thanks!
    There are many cheaper parking lots on the edge of Upper East Side (1st/2nd Ave - 95th, 96th 97th streets) and west side (around 10th avenue and 30s streets) or in Harlem

Sunday - best day to drive in the city as many streets and meters allow parking on Sunday whereas on Saturday and other days, you cannot park in many places at all.

It's very difficult to find free or cheap parking next to Pace - you'll have to park at the parking lot - can be costly

I found a parking garage near my building for $120.00 a month, not bad. I just like driving and I'd like to have it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice View Post
    It's very difficult to find free or cheap parking next to Pace - you'll have to park at the parking lot - can be costly
    What would you say parking rates in the area would be for 6 hours and 12 hours?

^ My suggestion is that you should take a walk in the are next to Pace and find a garage that fits your bill. I think most people here won't be able to help you find rates for you... since most here don't park or have a car for that matter. But who knows maybe someone knows.

But I think you should do what I said. I did that when I was driving in Philadelhia and parking close to where I worked in Center City. I walk around a found the best cheapest place. I doubt the area in Pace will have anything too cheap.

If you do find something maybe you can post the rates here.

Oh and good luck driving in NYC! (I still say is a big mistake and you won't enjoy it)

Take the West-Side Highway to get to Pace. You will probably be one of the few people on this forum grateful for Robert Moses. Traffic will depend on the time of your classes but there is no guarantee, ever. I would say a safe bet would be leave an hour to two hours before class you never know with Traffic in NYC. If traffic is bad on the West Side Highway take 12th or 11th Avenue south, whatever is south-going. But really there is no guarantee with traffic in NYC, I was returning home from a trip to the Jersey Shore and hit the BQE at 5pm on a weekday and I was the only car on the road, other times I've driven through the city I was waiting in traffic for 5 hours, no joke.

Im also curious, did you get a quote yet as to what car-insurance will run a college student in NYC?

Stern, why would I be paying for insurance? Im still a perm. resident at my dads house in Tennessee. He pays my insurance and will continue to do so. I would only be paying NYC insurance if I were a resident of the city. I still have my TN tag, license, and insurance.

You'll probably want to make sure if that's even legal.

How is it not legal? I'm in a dorm, not renting an apartment.

What I said was that you needed to check into this. Call the DMV.

You do realize that you're obligated to inform your insurance company about where the car will be garaged, and that the price will increase accordingly, right? It's not true that you only have to pay NYC insurance if you're a resident. That's where the car is parked, the insurance company doesn't care if you're registered to vote in the city.

Also, do you know if the garages you've seen require you to show proof of insurance and registration to keep your car there?

I get the feeling there there's A LOT you haven't thought out.

Okay, you're right. There is quite a bit I don't know. I'm just deciding right now if I want my car in NY or not. My parents are giving me the choice, they're footing the bill, if that includes a raise in insurance or not.

If your parents are paying for your car make sure they are aware of the costs.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4023087

yo nyyankee, pm me the info about that parking garage, i might do the same.......120 isnt bad at allllll

What would you say parking rates in the area would be for 6 hours and 12 hours?
    Don't know - I would think that if you park every day and only during the day, somewhere around 160-200/month

Okay, you're right. There is quite a bit I don't know. I'm just deciding right now if I want my car in NY or not. My parents are giving me the choice, they're footing the bill, if that includes a raise in insurance or not.
    Some people "pretend" for years they still live out of state and pay less in insurance

That's why you can see so many out-of-state plates in many residential neighborhoods in Manhattan...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast