Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: scaffolding is pissing me off

Default scaffolding is pissing me off

is it just me or is the length of time scaffolding is up around building these day is getting ridiculous.

i just dont get why the owner of a building would put this crap up, and I also dont understand why the illegal advertising isn't removed by the city immediately.

Dean

Sorry... but it is only you.

Scaffoldings are a necessary component in building repairs and construction used for the safety of the workers and most importantly for pedestrians like you and me.

You are pissed now? How would you feel if a hammer or powertool slips and lands on a human skull? There will be real piss on the street.

Let's have them up there for as long as it takes.

There are instances where owners are leaving up scaffolding beyond the necessary time just so they can get income from illegal advertising placed on that scaffolding (599 Broadway at Houston in SoHo -- home of The Wall -- is a perfect example).

This may come to an end soon as a new NYC LAW against such illegal advertising with much higher fines is going into effect on August 25:
    Buildings Department Announces New Outdoor Sign Registration Program -
    Effective August 25, 2006
    Buildings Department announced new regulations for outdoor advertising signage. The new rules enhance the Department’s regulatory authority over billboards and are aimed at combating the proliferation of illegal signs near the City’s major arterial highways and parks. The new regulations implement provisions of Local Laws 14/2001 and 31/2005. Once the new rules go into effect, owners of signs that are found to be non-compliant may incur penalties up to $25,000 per day and the signs may be removed.
    Photos from 2005 (this shed is still up although there is no progress on "renovation"):

Sidewalk Shed - 599 Broadway at Houston

"The Wall" Sculpture at 599 Broadway, under "Renovation"
    with a shed-covered sidewalk.

Default what makes them illegal?

Thanks Lofter I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are intrusive and look ugly.

what I'm not sure about is with this new law what makes a sign illegal?

I followed your links and the way i read that is that the sign is near a freeway? or is "Cities major arterial roads and parks" almost every street in NY?

If there was no revenue coming in (or better yet a payment to the city for each day they detracted from the use and enjoyment of footpaths) then wouldn't these blights be removed faster even if they didn't have advertising on them?

After this date does anyone know who i would go to to lodge complaints?

Dean

Default Scaffold advertising

That is sooooooo ugly.... bet the people that thought it up are ugly too....pisses me off, and I don't live in your fair city....but I love to walk the city streets and look at your buildings....having a scaffold, without advertising, would be preferable than that moronic piece of ka ka in those pics....

Hope El Teddy's resturant, isn't demolished by the time I get to visit....I want to go take a pic of it for myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Domoarigato View Post
    Sorry... but it is only you.

Scaffoldings are a necessary component in building repairs and construction used for the safety of the workers and most importantly for pedestrians like you and me.

You are pissed now? How would you feel if a hammer or powertool slips and lands on a human skull? There will be real piss on the street.

Let's have them up there for as long as it takes.
    Well, if the Golden Gate's railing height encourages suicide, maybe advertising revenue encourages long-term scaffolding.

Quote Originally Posted by bubdanose View Post

Hope El Teddy's resturant, isn't demolished by the time I get to visit....I want to go take a pic of it for myself....
    Too late ... El Teddy's is but a memory ...

Before:

Now:

http://www.hudsonmeridian.com/hmtribeca.html

Last edited by lofter1; August 21st, 2006 at 12:08 PM.

A big reason for the recent addition of a ton of scaffolding around the city is that Local Law 11's deadline is coming up in February of 2007. With the deadline getting closer, you're seeing a lot of buildings that had been putting off exterior reconstruction and inspection (which requires scaffold) getting their scaffolding up now so they can finish in time.

This law is the reason why you're seeing many brick residential apartment buildings and usually class B brick office towers being clad in scaffold and having point work done (replacing bricks on the corners of the buildings where they get the most wear and tear). Buildings also use the Law as an opportunity to do additional reconstructive work such as re-waterproofing terraces and setbacks which often require replacing the "sleeves" around through-the-wall (as opposed to through-the-window) air conditioning units used in many residential apartment buildings.

Some buildings have notably used the Law as a chance to do more major reconstruction like an apartment on Madison Avenue in the 60's that figured while replacing corner bricks, they might as well replace all of the ugly blue bricks on their building with more aesthetically pleasing red bricks. Some postwar buildings have also added limestone to their first few floors to make their buildings seem more high-class.

More action against advertising on scaffolding (and elsewhere) ...

Advertecture Update:
    Uh, Yeah, We Got That

CURBED
    Monday, August 21, 2006, by Lockhart

[From today's Sun: "Robert Julavits, a spokesman for Citibank, which bought the ad wrapped around the Flatiron building, said yesterday the company would look into the matter and was committed to complying with any restrictions." Mmmhmm. Photo by Patrick Moroney via MAS/Curbed Shoot It Down contest]

On the same weekend in which the City Section reported that city-owned trees were cut down outside the Chelsea apartment building The Cheney on West 23rd so as not to hide some fresh advertecture from our Don't-Call-It-A-Phone friends at Helio, Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer held a news conference in front of the Flatiron Building yesterday to call for an end to illegal advertecture. "We've had enough of illegal black market advertising in our city," he declared. Reports the Sun:
    The advertising ban has long been flouted, owing largely to a lack of enforcement and the fact that the revenue generated by the ads greatly exceeds the fines for violations. While Buildings Department fines for illegal advertising can range from $2,500 for an ignored first citation to $10,000 for ignored subsequent violations, one building industry executive said a billboard-style ad on a sidewalk shed can bring in up to $50,000 a month.
    Er, indeed. The fine for beheading those four trees in Chelsea to make way for Helio? $4,000.

Record Numbers of Scaffolds Spur Cottage Industry in Corporate Advertising [Sun]

So it isn't just me.

These things are springing up like WEEDS!

Figure that most of these rennovations are not major structrual rennovations, but just repointing and the like. Why would it take so long to remove the scaffolding? And why do so many streets have them up? They are all over midtown!

Also, explain to me this.

Around the NYT tower, they have a bunch of scaffolding, but for some reason, they have closed off teh sidewalk and other areas under this scaffolding. You have to walk outside it. If the purpose of the scaffolding is to protect people from falling debris, why are the people forced to walk out in the open?

One side-related thing here. How long does it take to set up a broadway musical? Teh scaffolding over by 41st street behind "Mary Poppins" has been up forever, and they closed off a portion of the sidewalk and street for MONTHS now. They are using it as their own personal parking lot.

How much did they pay the city for this?

/me continues to fume while thinking about scaffolding and construction schedules

Default Scaffolding

Rain, snow, broiler-oven hot sun - thank the gods for scaffolding. On top of which, scaffolding is, in great swaths of the city, the only architectural element in the built environment capable of creating space with a sense of human scale. Perhaps if the "architects" and "designers" in this city were to actually design, rather than trying to replicate ersatz Corbu-on-a-budget nightmares, .... But, who am I kidding, that'll never happen.

Exclusive: Death Knell for Advertecture?

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/...ture_.php#more
    Friday, November 10, 2006, by Lockhart

Earlier this week, a Curbed reader emailed, "Scaffolding came crashing down last weekend at Prince and Lafayette Streets. This scaffolding has been up for a long time but no construction work ever happens. Why? The landlord collects big revenue from the billboard while blocking his tenants storefronts. How do we stop this?"

Unbelievably, it seems the city may finally be, uh, "doing something." A Curbed tipster emailed us just minutes ago: "I work for an outdoor advertising firm based in New York. Our main business is construction site poster advertising - which, of course, is illegal. This hasn't been a problem for decades. DOB and DOT have turned a blind eye to construction site wildposting for years, until yesterday."

Ahead: the possible death of advertecture, explained.

The complete tipster's email:
    I work for an outdoor advertising firm based in New York. Our main business is construction site poster advertising - which, of course, is illegal. This hasn't been a problem for decades. DOB and DOT have turned a blind eye to construction site wildposting for years, until yesterday. A prominent scaffolding/shed company with whom we have been negotiating a long term relationship forwarded us a fax they received from DOT, a printout of the nyc.gov web page delineating the illegality of scaffolding, shed, and construction fence advertising (image, top). A gentle reminder, so to speak. The scaffolding company backed out of the deal.
    This follows on the heels of word I received last week from yet another scaffolding firm that in the wake of those vinyl-wrapped (Helio) scaffoldings falling down over the Halloween weekend, that the city was dealing with that problem by no longer issuing permits for scaffolds with parapets (the vertical, ad-supporting portion) of more than 4' in height. This effectively kills vinyl wrap advertising.

I have had two deals fall through with developers in the last two weeks for the same reason - J. Stern Construction and Douglaston Development were both informed that companies working with poster advertisers would find their transportation permit applications denied.
    The fax my scaffolding company received from DOT is attached. Note the handwritten ATTN: at the top. Whoever sent it didn't want to waste time generating individual fax cover letters, they just sent that to "All shed and scaffolding companies" in the city as fast as humanly possible.
    Could it be that our advertecture adventure, which began when the Flatiron Building cozied up to H&M, and played on through the summer of our discontent, could be coming to an end?

Fear not, we'll always have advertecture. Though perhaps not on scaffolding anymore.

· BREAKING: When Advertecture Attacks! [Curbed]
    · Curbed Advertecture Corps: We Have a Winner! [Curbed]
    · Trend Alert: Advertecture at Flatiron Building [Curbed]

Default yeh

about freaking time, this only proves that the majority of New Yorkers have no sense of quality of life....and the politicians are only trying to get campaign contribs to get re-elected for their next fat day.

thanks for the update lofter, i'd really prefer a phone number that i can call and complain about any of the remnants to though.

Cheers,
    Dean

That does not explain the proliferance of scaffolding I see going up all over recently!

It is getting to the point where I think new buildings should be built with awnings out to the curb in NYC and avoid any need for "future" scaffolding!

So will this new enforcement free us of this scourge or not?

They need to bump the fines by an order of magnitude, perhaps?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast