Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my itinary New years + proposal

Frank: I'm Curious -- where are you from that -5 = heatwave

Quote Originally Posted by FrankHegly View Post
    Could anyone please verify whether I will be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake....who do i get a licence from to ok this and not be arrested

I really want to do this.

Also how often does this lake freeze over?
    Hey, why not?... You can always propose in the police station after the arrest.. That will certainly get you out of trouble...

Default thanks for help so far

My plan for those interested was to have the limo pick her up (i would not be with her) i would have already gone to CP. I would have the dingy in its box (so not too hard to lug around and have oars that are deattachable. Then i have a snowboarding case i could carry it all in)

Basically she would meet me at central park.
    I would be carrying my snowbaord case (which is not too big and easy to carry + easily fit in all the stuff) Then she would just be curious as to what was in the bag.

After I finish with the dingy i can just bin/rycycle it (i wont carry it arround the rest of the day and the snowboard bag can just roll up)

It should not at all be unromantic carrying it around for the short time that i would as i think she would be more intruiged as to what was in it. And what we were going to do.

Oh and i was planning on taking a pump cos i do not think it would be too romantic waiting for me to blow it up.

I just found this site for the New YOrk City Dept. of Parks and Recreation (permits for special events). You might want to give it a try and see what they say. I doubt you will ever be allowed to put a rubber dingy in the lake (you will definitley get arrested if you try) but maybe there might be an alternative.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_permi..._an_event.html

As for something romantic....you might want to take your girlfriend ice skating in Central Park. There probably will be 500 other people with the same idea but it's a beautfiful spot in the park with the skyline as a back drop. You could even propose to your GF there!

Good luck!

Default Thanks

I just read the site you just gave me and is says :

Please note: Due to insurance reasons, the public is not permitted to launch personal boats at these sites:
    ManhattanCentral Park - Loeb BoathouseLocationPhone #: SeasonThe Lake off East Drive at 74th Street(212) 517-2233April to October
    So i guess the lake is out.....then again it does not mention the pond

I dont think they would grant a special permit though....

Thanks, i might give it a go

Don't give up yet. Just call or send them a message and tell them you are flying in from oversees to propose to your gf in central park on the lake. I always find New Yorkers to be very nice, helpful and resourceful - so just give a try! Who knows...maybe they will let you rent a boat for the occasion.

I'm sorry, but they absolutely will not. Insurance issues have nothing to do with being nice or helpful. It's best to start planning something else.

So i guess the lake is out.....then again it does not mention the pond
    If you are determined to be on The Lake, go to Hernshead, at the northwest corner. There is a pavilion there, and a large rocky peninsula. It is very romantic, and the view of Midtown Manhattan is excellent.

To reinforce the advice you have been given: If you take a boat on The Lake, you will get to see the NYPD Central Park precinct from the inside (not romantic at all).

And considering the times we live in, the police are going to thoroughly investigate why you are on the lake in a rubber dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE-NYC View Post
    Don't give up yet. Just call or send them a message and tell them you are flying in from oversees to propose to your gf in central park on the lake. I always find New Yorkers to be very nice, helpful and resourceful - so just give a try! Who knows...maybe they will let you rent a boat for the occasion.
    Thanks (also thanks to Schadenfrau).

I have contacting them regarding this. The insurance problem is due to the licencing of the boats on the lake (they only have insurance until october due to the weather). Which is annoying!!

However this does not apply to the pond....but they did not say it was allowed (they told me i would be asked to remove the dingy but i would not be arrested for it).

This has out me in two ways...if i do it quick enough I could propose before they ask me to take it out.... or i could get kicked out of the park before i even step into the boat

what do u think Love-NYC??

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    If you are determined to be on The Lake, go to Hernshead, at the northwest corner. There is a pavilion there, and a large rocky peninsula. It is very romantic, and the view of Midtown Manhattan is excellent.

To reinforce the advice you have been given: If you take a boat on The Lake, you will get to see the NYPD Central Park precinct from the inside (not romantic at all).

And considering the times we live in, the police are going to thoroughly investigate why you are on the lake in a rubber dinghy.
    Very good point..which i had not considered...thoguh i guess when they see the amazing diamond ring they might let me off.....or not

Thanks for the tip i will check it out now.

Default What do you think Zippy?

It looks so nice there, though i do not really want to be arrested. The pond from maps seems to be more secluded- this would perhaps be better as there is less chance of being seen. What do you think....is it busy or should i take my own handcuffs with me and save the NYPD the effort (and hope they are leanient)

Thanks

p.s. I do realise that this is not allowed but for love i am willing to bend the rules a little (she is worth it).......... if anyone has any advise for a good time to go and not be spotted it would be greatly received.

There are a million places to propose in NYC that will not land you in the clink. Pick one, and please stop wasting our time.

The Pond is more trafficked. Gapstow Bridge is one of the most photographed places in America.

You could try The Pool further north off Central Park West. It is more secluded, but the experience is more rustic than urban.

Again, if you are caught, you will get arrested.

Take Shadenfrau's advice.

... when they see the amazing diamond ring they might let me off ...
    picture?

The Pond is more trafficked. Gapstow Bridge is one of the most photographed places in America.

You could try The Pool further north off Central Park West. It is more secluded, but the experience is more rustic than urban.

Again, if you are caught, you will get arrested.

Take Shadenfrau's advice.
    The pond-- what a fantastic idea, you are a genius

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast