Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my itinary New years + proposal

Is it worth $2,350 for you to have a private proposal? I think you're the only person who can answer that.

Put that cash in a retirement account and add to it on a regular basis -- you'll both be glad you did 50 years from now.

No doubt the proposal will be just as terrific with a few folks in the vicinity.

A vote for a bit of spontaneity.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Put that cash in a retirement account and add to it on a regular basis -- you'll both be glad you did 50 years from now.
    Or better yet - save it for the wedding expenses.

Just be yourself, and don't worry so much about being flashy.

I think I agree with Schadenfrau that only you can decide if a private proposal is worth $2500 to you. People are so different and this is something so personal that it is hard to tell you what to do. I believe if she loves you she will be happy with whatever you decide to do!

PS: And I Ithink that both, ravishinglylow and ZippyTheChimp, have a point - don't worry about being flashy and keep some spontaneity!
    Last edited by LOVE-NYC; September 5th, 2006 at 05:31 PM.

Default Thanks for the well grounded advise

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE-NYC View Post
    I think I agree with Schadenfrau that only you can decide if a private proposal is worth $2500 to you. People are so different and this is something so personal that it is hard to tell you what to do. I believe if she loves you she will be happy with whatever you decide to do!

PS: And I Ithink that both, ravishinglylow and ZippyTheChimp, have a point - don't worry about being flashy and keep some spontaneity!
    Thanks, in fact thank you all.

It is a really hard decision to make because I love her and money doesnt matter- but in saying that there is so much more that i could do with $2500 dollars. It is not that the private proposal is not worth that but it might mean that later on we can't do somthing else.... $2500 could do a lot really when i think about it (my problem is im a perfectionist and go full steam ahead when i have my perfect plan) i think that it doesnt need to be about being alone in a $2500 an hour ice rink....its about being together and we can do this all over new york.

I think i will try and book the rockafeller one instead, i like the idea of CP but i think she will be most bothered about the proposal than anything else. Atleast the rockflr has more of an element of surprise (i am sure most girls would guess a proposal was coming if somone hired out the whole ice rink)- is this what you guys mean about being spontanious...

Grrrr... i am really down about all this now......i bet i would not have even been fined $2500 for putting a stupid rubber dingy into central park Lake/Pond or other aquatic area (dont worry Schadenfrau..im not suggesting it)

Default Too Much

That is over priced...do not spend that much

Quote Originally Posted by FrankHegly View Post
    Atleast the rockflr has more of an element of surprise (i am sure most girls would guess a proposal was coming if somone hired out the whole ice rink)- is this what you guys mean about being spontanious...
    Now you've got it.

It doesn't have to be perfect... just memorable.

Default Thanks Zippy

You are right......its going to be special either way and i dont think throwing money at it equals more romance.
    I will concentrate on the build up
    (as in everything we do leading up to that point)
    I think that is better than to just have a really cool proposal...

I am going to try and phone the RF ice rink now...and see if i can book it.

I agree with Zippy!

suddenly surprising her and getting down on one knee on a crowded ice rink, underneath the giant christmas tree will be very spontaneous (like you just couldn't wait to ask her) and very romantic!!

go for it and good luck!

I know a guy who wanted to make the proposal really special. He lined up all sorts of things/events and, like any complicated plan, thing started going awry. He got nervous and irritated and finally snapped at his GF, who was asking him what was wrong/etc. He was wise enough to postpone to another time.

Go with simple and natural. The last thing you want is for her to say "yes" becuase she was impresed by the 'show'. You want her to marry you 'cause she likes you. Right?

Default Problems

Yes i was totally worried about everything falling to pieces......... i can understand why your friend snapped..poor guy.

I also understand that it is only about us, but perhaps why this needs such planning etc is because it needs to stand out from day to day things.

I would think of myself as a very romantic guy- i do thinks almost on a daily basis- surprise her with roses, shopping trips and even small things like leaving a can of Fanta and a pack of M&M's on her desk because i know she will be thirsty and hungry after a meeting.

So my proposal has to stand out and be more than just the average day- i want perfection, and though i may not acheive it i will try my best and plan my hardest to get it right (and this is why i must utilise all of your expertise)
    so thansk soo much for help so far

I still cannot get ahold of the Carol at the ice rink, she is never in Grrrr (makes it difficult as i am 6 hours ahead of you guys)
    One i can get this booked everything else is easy to do.....

P.s does any one know a reliable contact email for a limo company that does a Rolls Royce, i tried a few but got no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I know a guy who wanted to make the proposal really special. He lined up all sorts of things/events and, like any complicated plan, thing started going awry. He got nervous and irritated and finally snapped at his GF, who was asking him what was wrong/etc. He was wise enough to postpone to another time.

Go with simple and natural. The last thing you want is for her to say "yes" becuase she was impresed by the 'show'. You want her to marry you 'cause she likes you. Right?
    I whole heartedly agree with Luca. I have been following this thread on a daily basis and get the impression that you are overdoing it a bit. (a Rolls Royce?) Honestly, as Luca said, you don't want her to say "yes" because of she was impressed by your "show" or how much money you spent. My recommendation - take it down a notch!

My friend's boyfriend recently proposed to her in the pouring rain on the park bench where they kissed for the first time 2 years ago. He went down on his knees in the pouring rain and asked her if she would marry him. She still crys with happiness every time she talks about it! No limo, no rolls royce, no violins playing in the background...only a New York park bench, lot's of rain and a $5 umbrella!

Default Long Post (sorry)

that is really sweet...but i bet if i did that it would be sunny...

Believe me i would love nothing more than somthing simple, like to propose in the snow etc...but it would all go wrong (the boat was initially very simple and sweet but then got complicated). I know i make things complicated etc- but that is a part of me and i guess it is a part she must love.

I like everything to be planned out as i dont know NY. I have never even been to the USA. I figure the more planned it is the better, i know things might and will go wrong....but just imagine if for once everything went right... it would be perfect.

I will take advise and tone things down a little....my girlfriend is defs not a materialistic person .... and at the end the whole day will be remembered for that one or two seconds when she says yes (and i cry).... however if über planning means i can have the perfect day end with the perfect proposal then i think i should atleast give it a go.

In fact i think we (we are all in this together) are closer than we think.

For example i have avoided being arrested for a start...

Lets for arguments sake though think of another way to propose.
    Please give me as much great help as i have had so far (esspec LOVE-NYC)
    I really want to do it at night
    I at least want a bit of privacy
    And i want it to be pretty (as in not just a random street)

CP seems good...but i dont know about lighting and saftey at night

Imagine if i were mugged for the ring lol

p.s i do not want anyone to think in terms of throwing money at things to look flash its never about that , the rolls was to be symbolic of an English Wedding...a bit of a tease because i know that is how she would want to arrive in a really old traditional one. I reckon this will make her really desperate to get married (she all ready is but i keep telling her we should wait...he he he )

I have rejigged the day a lot based on advise so far and dont really think of it as too complicated...but feedback would be great:
    • Start the day with Breakfast in Bed
    • Nice big bubble bath (recover from N'years eve)
    • When she comes out there is a note telling her to wrap up warm and go to the lobby)
    • The rolls (or taxi if this is too über the top) drops her off at CP south opposite Plaza (is this open anymore)
    • From here we go to on a nice romantic horse & carriage ride
    • Then i was thinking we could just enjoy CP and explore it, i hope it snows (i will build u all an honourary snowman and photo it 4 u)
    • Then i was just going to go to Starbuck for a hot chocolate- but more than open to anywhere nice that does one
    • Then dinner in One if By Land (seems highly recomended)
    • And later go ice skating and propose at the end
    Only 3 things here need to be arranged, the proposal, the car and the restraunt- all should be straight fowards
    Feedback please??

Default Progress

I booked the ice rink (Rockefeller)
    I am happy with this as it times well I can do it at 10pm which is good cos we can still enjoy the night afterwards
    It also means i am not being riped off and the excess money can go to other fun things. I have by no means finished with this i just wanted to give a BIG thanks to everyone (Esspecially LOVE-NYC) for helping me decide on this. Great idea L-NYC i know she will love it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast