Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my itinary New years + proposal

OK, Frank; If you want a cheering audience to erupt in applause after you're down on your knees on the ice and she says "YES", just POST the date and time of your appointment at Rock Center Ice Rink HERE at wirednewyork and I'm sure any number of folks will show up to witness the event.

One great thing about Rock Center Ice Rink is that it is recessed below the Rock Center Plaza and lots of folks gather at the edges and watch the skaters down below. It would not seem at all odd to your girlfriend that she's at Rock Center with lots of people about.

IMO the best way to enter the Ice Rink is to come at it from 5th Avenue and walk down through the Channel Gardens -- at Christmas time it gives you the direct view of the X-Mas Tree on the opposite side of the rink, and the Channel Gardens are always filled with angels at that time of year ...

Here's the view from 5th Avenue down through the Channel Gardens by day:

And at night:

Here's a view of the Rink from above (imagine you two in the middle):

Thumbs up Thanks

I would welcome the chance for you guys to come and cheer (you have all been so much help and i would love to thank you all personally)

I will post the time etc nearer the event so that it does not get lost in the depths of this forum....

Just come and introduce yourself...i should be quite easy to recognise (I'll be the guy in the middle of the ice rink whos down on one knee )

p.s.
    Thanks for the advise on how to enter- i will defs use. Could you please give me the direction or name that i should give to a taxi driver to drop me off there (you mention channel gardens but wanted to clarify) I will be coming from One if By Land which is on the west side so i will catch a cab and want to make sure i dont get lost)

Thanks (its all coming in to place now )

Quote Originally Posted by FrankHegly View Post
    Could you please give me the direction or name that i should give to a taxi driver to drop me off there (you mention channel gardens but wanted to clarify) I will be coming from One if By Land which is on the west side so i will catch a cab and want to make sure i dont get lost)

Thanks (its all coming in to place now )
    From the restaurant, walk the very short distance east to 6th Avenue and flag down a cab there. Ask the driver to take you to the intersection of West 50th Street and 5th Avenue. The entrance to the Channel Gardens is a short 1/2 block walk down 5th Avenue from there. You could add authenticity and drama to your evening by taking the subway instead of a cab. The West 4th Street subway station has entrances on 6th Avenue just north and south of its intersecton with West 4th Street (also a quick walk from the restaurant). From there, it's a fast ride uptown to the West 50th St./Rockefeller Center subway stop. Use the exit to the street at the front end of the train and walk east on 50th Street to 5th Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    OK, Frank; If you want a cheering audience to erupt in applause after you're down on your knees on the ice and she says "YES", just POST the date and time of your appointment at Rock Center Ice Rink HERE at wirednewyork and I'm sure any number of folks will show up to witness the event.
    I was thinking the same thing..., plus at this point I wouldn't want to miss this moment for nothing!

Frank, your day of the proposal sounds really nice and I wouldn't change a thing at this point! The restaurant looks soooooooooooooooooo romantic (I checked it out on their web site) and I think you can start to relax now. It's all coming together nicely!

Default All is good :)

Thanks for directions Mking.
    What do you guys think, if i am dressed in a suit or equivelant would the subway be too hot (visions of the london underground in a suit )

LOVE-NYC please do come, like i said i will post nearer the time in December with the details to refresh everyones memory (but to make sure you have plenty of time to get there is will be around 10pm on Jan 1st 2007.

The restraunt looks really pretty so I just need to book it nearer the time.

I think i am almost done........glad i didnt buy the dingy in advance

oh...and p.s. my real name is Jamie, i just used the name FrankHegly as i did not want my girlfriend to stumble onto the forum whilst i left my desk as i was in meetings the whole day when i first posted.

Oh and Zippy if you are reading this i notice that you have a real talent for photography and if you do come along (and the same for anyone else coming on jan 1st) i would love to have a photo taken of the proposal as i cant take one myself.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for directions Mking.
    What do you guys think, if i am dressed in a suit or equivelant would the subway be too hot (visions of the london underground in a suit )
    Too hot? No. Not in December.

How od i buy a subway ticket, it is in zones or do i pay by destination. If it is anything like London underground then i am sure i will be fine

Also is it dangerous? I will be carrying a $$$$$ engegment ring and do not want to be mugged .
    This probs sounds really dumb.....its just there tends to be some places that you should always avoid and i have read not to use the subway at night- but if you guy say its fine then im fine with it

Subway is safe ...

Subway costs $2.00 per person per ride -- or if you're here for a week you can get a weekly card that gives you pretty much endless access to subway / bus.

Info for subway fares / Metrocard HERE
    7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
    Cost: $24, reduced fare $12
    Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.

Default Subway

Thanks i will do this then.
    What qualifies for reduced fare, anyone?

Thanks i will do this then.
    What qualifies for reduced fare, anyone?
    Old age and physical disability, I believe, and I doubt that pre-nuptial jitters is a qualifying condition for the latter. Seconding Lofter1's comment, subway safety shouldn't be on your list of things to worry about. Especially if you board the first car in the train (where the presence of the train driver offers an added measure of safety), and the view out the train's front window as it speeds through the 6th Avenue tunnel is one of NYC's most affordable thrill rides. Your route is shown in this map:

The B,D,F and V trains will all take you to your destination. The B and D are express trains that bypass "local" stations along the way and get you there a little faster and with more of the "thrill" factor mentioned above.
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; September 11th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.

I agree with you guys that the subway is safe...but why take the risk going around with a $$$$$ engament ring on the night of his proposal?

Forum Veteran

I don't think there's any reason for any safety concerns whatsoever at rockefeller center. But wouldn't you like to treat your future wife to a cab?

Default carriage rides

Every time we go past the horses in Central Park, we want to take them home. They stink, they don't appear to be well looked after, the people who "look after them" don't look too clever. They don't look to be in the best of health. It's not romantic. Walk arm in arm, thats much better. When you see them you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    But wouldn't you like to treat your future wife to a cab?
    "Treat" and "cab" shouldn't be used in the same sentence unless accompanied by "not."

Forum Veteran

You'd rather take the subway? It might be a treat if he's worried about paying full fare. I try not to judge.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast