Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my itinary New years + proposal

Default Help with my itinary New years + proposal

Hi,

My and my gf are going to New York for New year and I am planning on proposing to her there. Please could anyone in the know about any of the things i plan on doing offer any tips or advise. For example opening times etc.

Day one
    As I am arriving from Aberdeen I dont get in until 18:00- so here is my plan

• Go to serendipity for a meal
    • Walk across brooklyn bridge at night
    • Order Champagne and all the desserts of the room service menu and just pig out and watch our fav DVDs in our hotel suite
    Day Two

This is New Years eve so please any alternate suggestions are greatly received.

• Go to madame tussaudes
    • Lunch in the Hard Rock Cafe
    • Stroll through central Park
    • Go for a meal in Smoke (jazz club)-anyone know it or any better?
    • Go to battery park to watch the fireworks and pop open a bottle of Cristal.
    Day Three

I did not want to propose on new years eve as i thoughts it would be too hard to get a private spot + thought it was a bit too tacky.

I want this to be the most romantic day ever possible so i want asmuch help as there is.

• Start the day with a champagne breakfast in bed
    • Then make her a hot bubble bath
    • When she comes out there will be rose pettles on the bed and a letter telling her to dress up warm and go down to the lobby where a limo will take her to a mystery location
    • Limo drops her off in central park. We Go on a horse carriage ride to the lake
    • We go for a boat ride. It is my understanding that there is no boats in the winter but i wont let that stop me- i am going to buy a rubber dingy and we can have a piknic (fondue, strawberries and Krug rosé champagne) on the lake (this is somthing special i promised ages ago but will be compleley unexcpected)
    • Then i was thinking of proposing on the lake
    • Then i thought later we could go to One of By Land, Two if by Sea for a meal.
    • And then at midnight i was going to take her to the top of the rockafeller centre and give her a single pink rose (her favriote) and tell her how much i love her.
    Can anyone please give me help with this, whats crap whats good...PLEASE HELP

She's a lucky girl ...

Madame Tussaud's on New Years Eve day might be a problem / hassle as the City begins to cordon off the entire Times Square area early -- beginning the day before I believe. I suggest you email or call Tussauds to see what's the deal there.

The boat ride on the lake mid-winter with the rubber dinghy could be hilariously romantic (why hasn't Woody Allen thought of this?). But you might want to think of a "Plan B" just in case it's freezing cold and the lake is frozen over (DON"T suggest that you attempt to enter the lake if there is ice).

There is a great old wooden structure on top of a promontory near the 6th Avenue / Central Park South entrance that would offer protection from th eelements if the weather is nasty. Or the Castle above the Great Lawn has a small covered area, too.

Keep us posted ... Pictures would be great

Forget about popping Cristal in the park- the police will make you pour it out. The same goes for drinking Krug in the park. It's a nice idea, but won't work. If you want to drink champagne, you'll need to put it in a thermos.

If you try to bring any kind of boat into the water, you're begging to get arrested. Don't even think about it.

The last elevator in Rockefeller Center is 11PM.

The Hard Rock Cafe sucks and the food at Serendipity, minus the frozen hot chocolate, is awful. Maybe you should pick new restaurants? What sort of food do you like?

Forum Veteran

How many proposers have you helped out, Schadenfrau?

Frank, you've got great ideas - and great initiative. I'd just suggest you try to be a bit more spontaneous. Unless she's been to central park, save it for the proposal, and just surprise her by kneeling down at a random moment when you're alone and she's really enjoying herself.

The boat is a fun idea, but it will probably be too cold, and I can't imagine you lugging an inflatable dingy, fondue pot and champange though the park and providing a romantic experience for your gf. Relax a little and think less about the things involved in the proposal - focus more on the experience itself.

Also forget the bridge - have you been here in winter? It can be well below freezing. Stick to the park - it's protected from the wind.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Default Bring a cell phone . . .

After my now-husband proposed to me in Washington Square Park, the first thing I did was kiss him (ok, that was the second thing I did, the first thing was to jam the diamond on my finger)

but then I had a strong impulse to call my mom, my best friend, and everyone I'd ever met! We probably spent the next hour dialing our friends and family . .

it might not be a bad idea to have a camera with you too, to record the big smiles on your faces.

have a wonderful time!

ali r.

lofter1

Thanks i did wonder about the lake being frozen over and thanks for the suggested plan B sites-any more anyone?

Thanks also for the tips on being arested with the champs- not good if i spend on it to have them pour it out (i will do that in the hotel room later on i think)

Will i really be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake (this is something really special for the two of us as it was a joke i made once before we were even going out)- i think i would do it any way, so what is the deal if i get arrested (what is the fine?)- this will be really unexcpected and very spontanious, she will be having such a laugh at the prospect of doing it the proposal will take her by surprise.

I was only going to serendipity for the frozen hot chocolate so i think i can put up with the bad food just for that,
    but anyone got any suggestions for hard rock alternatives.

I will keep modifying my plans based on your suggestions. thanks for all the help so far

I've lived in NYC 25+ years and have NEVER seen a rubber dinghy on the lakes in Central Park. That might be because there are official Park folks all over the place (probably far fewer during the cold days of winter). Let's just say that "eyes are everywhwere" these days.

You DO NOT want to experience a NYC Police Station during your stay. Not romantic. Or fun.

Default I dont want to be arrested

Could anyone please verify whether I will be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake....who do i get a licence from to ok this and not be arrested

I really want to do this.

Also how often does this lake freeze over?

Default Revised Itinary

Ok based n suggestions so far i have revised my plans. Could people who have and those who have not please please please comment on it (tell me what is good and what is bad)
    For the lovley people who have already commented thanks so much, i have made ammendments or comments in red below:

Day one
    As I am arriving from Aberdeen I dont get in until 18:00- so here is my plan
    • Go to serendipity for a meal (Frozen hot chocolate is a must)
    • Walk across brooklyn bridge at night (Where i live -5° = heatwave)
    • Order Champagne and all the desserts of the room service menu and just pig out and watch our favourite DVDs in our hotel suite
    Day Two

This is New Years eve so please any alternate suggestions are greatly received.
    • Go to madame tussaudes (First thing)
    • Lunch in SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN the Hard Rock Cafe(SUGGESTIONS)
    • Do somthing which is not -Stroll through central Park
    • Go for a meal in Smoke (jazz club)-anyone know it or any better?
    • Go to battery park to watch the fireworks
    • pop open a bottle of Cristal in the hotel room
    Day Three

I want this to be the most romantic day ever possible so i want as much help as there is.
    • Start the day with a champagne breakfast in bed
    • Then make her a hot bubble bath
    • When she comes out there will be rose pettles on the bed and a letter telling her to dress up warm and go down to the lobby where a limo will take her to a mystery location
    • Limo drops her off in central park. We Go on a horse carriage ride to the lake
    • We go for a boat ride. It is my understanding that there is no boats in the winter but i wont let that stop me-i am going to buy a rubber dingy and we can have a picnic (strawberries predipped in fondue and Krug rosé champagne-poured into a flask) on the lake (this is somthing special i promised ages ago but will be compleley unexcpected)
    • Then i was thinking of proposing on the lake in my little dingy-maybe under the pretty bridge i see pictures of-any where more romantic??
    • Then i thought later we could go to One of By Land, Two if by Sea for a meal. Is this the best place to go??
    • And then at midnight i was going to take her to the top of the rockafeller centre and give her a single pink rose (her favriote) and tell her how much i love her.Was not sure whether to propose here or in the boat? I could buy all the online tickets for the rockafeller center and then it would only be us up there...what do you guys think??

Quote Originally Posted by FrankHegly View Post
    Could anyone please verify whether I will be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake....who do i get a licence from to ok this and not be arrested
    I verified it the first time I posted. If you bring a boat into the lake, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. Stop it, plan something else.

Default Nice day..........

I am myself looknig for romantic ideas and wish i had thought of your day. It sounds really good, the dingy sounds fun but last time I was in NY it rained (ALL DAY).

I think you need a plan B in case it rains.

Serendipity- Shame about the food but has a nice atmosphere (mmmm frozen hot chocolate)

I am slightly cursious though where you are going to buy a rubber dingy and oars to row it, in the middle of manhanttan?

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I verified it the first time I posted. If you bring a boat into the lake, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. Stop it, plan something else.
    Thanks for the heads up- I really really want to do this, does anyone have any connections they could put me in touch with to organise this.

It reall means a lot to me to do this (in fact the whole new york idea is centered on this)

Thanks for your help so far Schadenfrau

No one will help you do it, because it's illegal!

If it's so important to you, reschedule the trip during the months when you can actually rent a boat. Otherwise, there's no way around it.

I want to second NYatNight's statement that posters here at not at your beck and call. If someone offers you advice, accept it and move on.

Forum Veteran

Even if it were legal, I can't picture how you could get a rubber dingy from your hotel to the lake and keep up the romantic tone in the process. I see a lot of frustration and cursing while you try to bring your very specific and idealized vignette to life. What's your plan?
    Last edited by ryan; August 25th, 2006 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    No one will help you do it, because it's illegal!

If it's so important to you, reschedule the trip during the months when you can actually rent a boat. Otherwise, there's no way around it.

I want to second NYatNight's statement that posters here at not at your beck and call. If someone offers you advice, accept it and move on.
    I appreciate all tje help and advise off everyone. I do not excpect people to reply but the replies I do get are highly valued. I am sorry that you took it otherwise

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast