Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 220 Central Park South - RA Stern - 920 ft

I still cannot get over how awesome this is!!!

432 Park and Extell's cantilevered stick are so horrible, and yet this is so stunning!

Nice building, especially for CPS. I wonder if it will block views from One57.

Forum Veteran

Interesting, coffered ceiling. You never see that in new construction. I also long for some sort of return of ornamentation

Default The West 58th Street Canyon

The view through those gates in the 2nd-to-the-last image will not be of a low building and vast sky above, but rather of the brutal monster-box being put up by Extell to the south, between West 57th and West 58th.

There's been much discussion elsewhere about the positioning of the Stern tower, and whether it will rise along Central Park South or along West 58th. Indications found in the renderings are that the tower will rise on the south side of the site, along West 58th.

The rectangular reflecting pool sits outside the interior entry to the low block of the Stern plan, and that low block courtyard faces the vehicle roundabout with the fountain at center. That same 2nd-to-the-last image shows the rectangular pool is to the north of the roundabout & fountain (also seen in the 4th & 5th images). So that puts the tower in the south part of the site.

The 4th image shows a low brick building at the far right. That seems to be FDNY Engine 23 at 215 West 58th. That same image shows a portion of 240 CPS at the far left.

Here's the view along W 58th (with the old 225 W 58th still shown, pre-demo): http://goo.gl/maps/ldBa9

And here's a photo, showing Engine 23 next to where the old building used to be (now demo-ed, and the part of the site where the vehicle courtyard, entered from the south from W 58th, will go in):

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Also, One Bryant Park is on Sixth and this tower is near Eighth so one of the below renderings is not accurate. I'd say the 2nd one below is wrong because OBP should not appear at that angle when viewed from this tower.

Forum Veteran

clearly wrong. artistic license gone postal

Love the tower, but is it just me, or are residential footprints slowly getting smaller and smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

vantage point seems to be top of the rock

^Ha! True.

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    Love the tower, but is it just me, or are residential footprints slowly getting smaller and smaller?
    I was asking myself the same thing; unless its just the rendering but the footprint is incredibly narrow! The building however is very handsome!

So more units can be in the sky...

This is exactly as I predicted almost a year ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I bet Extell will eventually sell their lot that cuts between Vornado's two parcels and 220 CPS. Vornado cannot even transfer the development rights from those two buildings to 220 CPS unless Barnett budges. I bet Barnett wants them to build a smaller 300' tall building along CPS and build a tower wing along 58th street where those two walk-ups currently stand. They could be connected by a plaza or a podium a la 15 CPW.

This would result in far less obstructed views of the park for Barnett's tower, rather than staring directly into a 50 story building.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    The base footprint is wide, but the upper floor footprints are much smaller. This is ideal because (1) it allows for taller buildings with better views while working in the same FAR allowances and (2) it permits more full floor units with 360 degree views instead of limiting to one or two of North / South / West / East

^Ah got ya; makes absolute sense. It is definitely going to make a striking silhouette against the skyline or a lack their of . I really do like the design of it, it tugs at a previous time but is firmly planted in modern times with it's height and the technology involved to make it this tall.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

And they will only do this for the very, very, very, very high end, super duper ultra luxury projects because it costs more to build really high.

I remember hearing that after 700 feet or so, it is a diminishing return as you go higher.

This is very cool. I would buy here.