Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 220 Central Park South - RA Stern - 920 ft

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The buildings on W. 58th between 240 CPW and 220 CPW are indeed pretty crappy -- one is a 5 story stucco coverd thin that appears to be shuttered, then there is a five story garage and then the back of 240 CPW (aka 217 - 223 W. 58th).

However, LL is correct that the next three brick buildings are complete GEMS.

Luckily the one right next to the backside of 240 is 215 W. 58th, an FDNY firehouse (so it isn't going anywhere) -- Engine Company 23.

This building is LANDMARKED.

This is what she looks like (that's the white brick butt of 240 CPW / 217-223 W. 58th to the left):
    Thanks LOFTER for all the intresting info - you are a source for wealth of information about NYC! One minor correction though...the white brick butt is 220 and not 240 CPW! 220 CPW is supposed to be demolished along with the the three small buidlings on W58th (hotel, garage and former carpet shop).

I also heard that the public school on 58th (across the back of 220CPW) was bought by Trump as well as the former hard rock cafe on 57th Street. Aparently is is planning another one of his condos there...but don't know whether there is any truth to this rumor.
    Last edited by LOVE-NYC; September 11th, 2006 at 10:13 AM.

You are correct -- 220 and not 240 -- just a typo on my part.

I have edited / fixed the mistakes.

Didn't mean to be picky...!
    I really enjoyed all your info, especially on the Helen Miller Gould Stable. Where do you find all this stuff?

as always ... GOOGLE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE-NYC View Post
    Thanks LOFTER for all the intresting info - you are a source for wealth of information about NYC! One minor correction though...the white brick butt is 220 and not 240 CPW! 220 CPW is supposed to be demolished along with the the three small buidlings on W58th (hotel, garage and former carpet shop).

I also heard that the public school on 58th (across the back of 220CPW) was bought by Trump as well as the former hard rock cafe on 57th Street. Aparently is is planning another one of his condos there...but don't know whether there is any truth to this rumor.

The school and the Hardrock were bought by Extell. The Donald is too busy with his dumb show and with projects in New Rochelle and Tampa to develop in NYC.

according to our friend M Stoler in the NY-SUN this past Thursday, worte
    that (sore loser to Schwatzman of Blackstone on the EOP deal)
    Steve Roth's Vornado Realty Trust
    is a co-developer with Clarett Group, in this new development of 220 CPS

Default Map & (need sky shot)

I would like to post a sky view but do not want to fire-up my google earth program and do the photoshop cut/resize image/paste thingy.

I have notice many sky-views posted on this site lately..... is there some new way of gettting them?

Here is a map view of 220 cps,,, which shows the unusual bloc-thru footprint.
    Last edited by infoshare; February 25th, 2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add link

As you might have guessed I enjoy playing with maps

Google Earth doesn't show a very good image of 220 CPS ...

Regular old Google Map (hybrid) gives a much better view (map attached).

Given the layout of this site at 220 CPS it seems that a 15 CPW two-tower type design (with a shorter tower along CPS and a much taller tower fronting onto W. 58th) would be great here. Personally I'd rather see any large tower that will inevitably go up here be pulled back from the CPS streetwall -- and thereby maintain a park-fronting streetwall more in line with the heights which currently exist on that block. If they go that way then they should also pull the east / west walls of the taller tower in from the edges of the plot -- and avoid 50 stories of blank side walls. Seemingly the lots just to the east on W. 58th are Landmarked so theoretically nothing can go up high on that side. However the lots to the west on W. 58th between 220 & 240 are ripe for development.

The Helmsley Park Lane at the other end of CPS went the other way (a singular tall tower right on CPS) and the result: Horrid blank side walls reaching to the sky .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220 CPS_Google Map_01b.JPG 
Views:	36220 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	3637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220 CPS_Map_01a.jpg 
Views:	32572 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	3638  

The facade restoration of 240 CPS is getting close to completion -- she looks far better than she did just a short while back. We can only hope that at some point in the future they coordinate the window replacements so there is a more uniform look. And that the thru-window AC units will disappear (however that is really not likely here).

Along CPS ...

And from W 58th (the courtyard back here is currently an expanse of cement -- but they are doing work in the courtyard area and one can only hope that they have something nice planned aside from concrete) ...

The way 240 is situated on this plot (the buildings don't reach all the way to the lot line on the east) could allow for something beside a blank wall on the lot just to the east along W 58th when it inevitably gets redeveloped (Google Map hybrid of 240 CPS and neighboring lots to the east) ...

Name:	240 CPS_Google Map_01b.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	3639  

Arrow Aerial views of 220 CPS

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Google Earth doesn't show a very good image of 220 CPS ...

Regular old Google Map (hybrid) gives a much better view (map attached).
    Thanks for tip about google maps/earth hybrid: the images are more crisp. I will start using that as a short-cut for posting aerial views. Yet, what I like about G-earth is that the ability to select a particular hight/angle of view.

I used G-earth program to get (attached) a closer look; from looking at the standard map view I thought that 220 cps was one large building - now it appears to me to be two seperate buildings.

Thanks again.....you rock!

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	3640  

It's hard to see in the shadows ^^^ there could be a very low-rise connector between the "two" buildings.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

lofter do you know anything about those dopey mosaic murals above the entrance, or has this already been covered?

Since you called them "dopey" I'm not sure I want to spend the time required to give you info on the murals

But you did get me wondering ...

I found that doing google searches for both "240 Central Park South" and "Central Park South Apartments" (the other name this building goes by) still hasn't yielded specific info on the murals ...

The architects for 240 CPS were Mayer & Whittlesley (who also did 220 CPS, along with M. Milton Glass). The City Review says only this about the murals:
    It has a concierge, many balconies, many corner windows and very colorful mosaic murals on the second and third floors above its courtyard, canopied entrance on Central Park South.
    I can't find any connection between this little fact and the murals, but Antoine de Saint-Exupery moved into a high floor apartment at 240 CPS when the building opened.

Another tidbit: The building is the home of Lois Lane in the Superman films of the late 70's and eighties.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Thanks lofter!

Maybe it's just me, but they look like cover art for a Marlo Thomas dvd.

The insurance agent that was located at 220 CPS (on the 58th St. side) moved. A resident also informed me that the developer is trying to buy the tenants out, but that they're "fighting". Hopefully, this piece of junk will be razed soon.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast