Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 220 Central Park South - RA Stern - 920 ft

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Since you called them "dopey" I'm not sure I want to spend the time required to give you info on the murals

The City Review says only this about the murals:

It has a concierge, many balconies, many corner windows and very colorful mosaic murals on the second and third floors above its courtyard, canopied entrance on Central Park South.
    From the Guide to New York City Landmarks:

"...One of the largest luxury apartment buildings of its day, it has an entrance court decorated with "The Quiet City", a mosaic by Amedee Ozenfant."

A Model of High-Density Residential Development

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY

Published: Sunday, February 9, 1997

...Over the front door is a brilliantly colored mosaic panel, ''The Quiet City,'' by the artist Amedee Ozenfant, who worked with Le Corbusier. Otherwise the exterior is undecorated in the traditional sense, but the patterns of the delicately framed casement windows still make an elegant statement...

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/09/re...s&pagewanted=1

Taking a Fresh Look at Columbus Circle

By FRANCIS MORRONE | August 7, 2008

...The building is splendidly massed. On Central Park South, east and west wings project out to meet the sidewalk, while the high center tower, with the building's entrance, is set back from the street behind an anomalous and lovely garden. Above the entrance is a beautiful mosaic mural, "The Quiet City," by Amédée Ozenfant, one of the least known of the most important names in the history of Modernist art. Painter, theorist, and teacher, he was closely associated with Le Corbusier, Fernand Léger, and Erich Mendelsohn, and, after coming to New York in 1939, operated the Ozenfant School of Fine Arts here...

http://www.nysun.com/calendar/taking...-circle/83318/
    Last edited by Merry; April 28th, 2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect info - wrong building!

Better a building than a vacant lot full of parked cars.

Banned Member

SHHHHHHHH!!! Don't let McSam hear you!!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The building at 225 227 West 58th Street (next door to the 58th Street side of the 220 Central Park South building) has been demolished and now there is a big "EXTELL" sign posted on the fence there. DOB shows a Demo Permit signed off in August 2008, but the Job Overview for the address has no substantial news of any plans for this site.

Two buildings to the west, 229 and 231 W. 58th, both look empty and near the end of their useful lives.

For now the cleared site at 225-227 is being used as a parking lot for some heavy equipment, including an Escalade ...

Permits for an 18-story Cetra Ruddy designed tower.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

The 18-floor building is on a separate lot on the 58th Street side.

The taller tower is on Central Park South.

They're both Extell, but different projects.

Are you sure this building on CPS is not Clarett's project at 220 CPS?
    What's the address of the building?

Wow, Extell has their hands full in this area. Let's sincerely hope they haven't bit off more than they can chew.

The empty lot at 225-227 W 58 is just to the west of 220 CPW's 58th Street plot (217-223 W 58).

DEMO for 225 W 58 was signed off at DOB last August.

The two new Apps for 225-227 were OK'd by DOB just last week:

CONSTRUCT NEW BUILDING
    TAKE TEST PITS FOR FUTURE NEW BUILDING

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Are you sure this building on CPS is not Clarett's project at 220 CPS?
    What's the address of the building?
    Yeah, what Lofter said, and I had heard that the 58th street building would be rentals and built on a separate timeline. This was a while ago, though.

So the other building your talking about is actually Clarett's building at 220 CPS. Therefore there is no 2nd Extell building fronting CPS.

Oops, you're right; my bad.

These two sites were bundled at some point as a package, and I thought Extell had both, but Clarett has the CPS property, so they're obviously unbundled at this point.

So Clarett has the condo portion on CPS, and Extell has the rental portion on 58th. Sorry about that.

Angry 220 CPS: Tear it down and get rid of them

I've heard there are several tenants in their 80's in that awful building, some allegedly in wheelchairs. The building is decrepit and so are they. I'm tired of this "senior sympathy." Just because people live in a place for 30 or 40 years as tenants doesn't mean they have a right to stay there. This is B.S. There are plenty of nice Salvation Army senior accommodations they can go to. I've worked hard for my money, and if I can afford a $10 million condo on CPS, I have a right to buy it. This is ridiculous sentimental crap. Get them out of there now and knock the building down.

Post 220 and 240 Central Park South

Quote Originally Posted by juniorflipper View Post
    I've heard there are several tenants in their 80's in that awful building, some allegedly in wheelchairs.

Excerpt from a previous Wiredny post - http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpo...80&postcount=2

Veronica W. Hackett, the managing partner of The Clarett Group, told CityRealty.com today that it plans to offer "substantial" relocation assistance and has a "geriatic counselor" to assist elderly tenants and has no plans "to throw tenants out on the street."

I've heard there are several tenants in their 80's in that awful building, some allegedly in wheelchairs. The building is decrepit and so are they. I'm tired of this "senior sympathy." Just because people live in a place for 30 or 40 years as tenants doesn't mean they have a right to stay there. This is B.S. There are plenty of nice Salvation Army senior accommodations they can go to. I've worked hard for my money, and if I can afford a $10 million condo on CPS, I have a right to buy it. This is ridiculous sentimental crap. Get them out of there now and knock the building down.
    Disgusting.

I've worked hard for my money,
    What do you do?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast