Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 220 Central Park South - RA Stern - 920 ft

Banned Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by juniorflipper View Post
    I've heard there are several tenants in their 80's in that awful building, some allegedly in wheelchairs. The building is decrepit and so are they. I'm tired of this "senior sympathy." Just because people live in a place for 30 or 40 years as tenants doesn't mean they have a right to stay there. This is B.S. There are plenty of nice Salvation Army senior accommodations they can go to. I've worked hard for my money, and if I can afford a $10 million condo on CPS, I have a right to buy it. This is ridiculous sentimental crap. Get them out of there now and knock the building down.
    Wow! Talk about exemplifying all that is wrong with this country and the gap between the rich and poor. Apparently, a person with all the money in the world can be more bitter, angry, mean-spirited and hateful than people living in poverty without a pot to piss in; however, in this case, it appears that the person with the millions is truly destitute.

Just because people live in a place for 30 or 40 years as tenants doesn't mean they have a right to stay there.
    You horrid cow.

First, read up on the laws of NYS and you'll find that they DO have a legislated right to continue to live there. And they can pass the units on to their children and other close relatives who might live with them.

Second, cry and moan all you want. Wrong is wrong. You're just so wrong in so many ways. Keep crying about how your money gives you more rights. Cry yourself to sleep. Then do us all a favor and don't wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Wow! Talk about exemplifying all that is wrong with this country and the gap between the rich and poor.
    Umm, are you alleging that people living on Central Park South are poor?? So poor as to live in the poshest part of the most expensive city on earth, and so poor as to reject $200,000 buyouts? Wow, and I thought the poor were Zimbabwe, not on CPS.

I have poor relatives in Central Mexico. I should tell them about the poverty-stricken residents of a CPS doorman highrise.
    Apparently, a person with all the money in the world can be more bitter, angry, mean-spirited and hateful than people living in poverty without a pot to piss in;
    You're referring to the extortionist tenants, I assume?
    however, in this case, it appears that the person with the millions is truly destitute
    The fact that that there are two rich parties fighting it out does not mean that the slightly less wealthy party has the moral upper hand regardless of conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

First, read up on the laws of NYS and you'll find that they DO have a legislated right to continue to live there.
    Just because a law exists does not mean it is morally correct.

It is illegal for gays to marry, yet if I support the changing of this law, it does not make me a "horrid cow".

Similarly, New York State is basically the only place on earth where there are World War II "emergency" rent controls, but it does not make someone bad for speaking up against this ridiculous scam.

WWII is over. Cut the crap. If you think a special class of privledged Manhattan residents should be subsidized by the rest of the city, then say so.

Gay Marriage in this instance is a straw man argument if I ever saw one. Or as you put it yourself: Crap.

So, all laws are created equal? Baby with the bathwater, eh? Quite the rejoinder.

I say that in the vast majority of cases that the law as it exists serves the purpose for which it was created: Maintaining some sense of housing stability in the neighborhoods of NYC and other municipalities.

BTW: The Rent Stabilization Law went into effect in 1969 -- not after WW2. It was the the previous version of rent laws which was Rent Control. That only covers older units -- and only 2% of all NYC housing. And RC units do not pass as such to new tenants in covered buildings. New tenants are covered by RS. Which has been chiseled away in the past 15 years so many units are taken out of Stabilization each year. But that may be changing soon. One might want to study up.

Meanwhile, it seems the horrid cow shoe fits, and is being worn proudly.

And what amount of funds would it take to move all those decrepit wheel-chair bound tenants (so named and despised by our young self-proclaimed "flipper") into taxpayer funded housing?

And wouldn't that be a bigger form of subsized residential housing than what we have now?

Can we just stop and savour this:

Quote Originally Posted by juniorflipper View Post
    I've heard there are several tenants in their 80's in that awful building, some allegedly in wheelchairs. The building is decrepit and so are they. I'm tired of this "senior sympathy."
    And I love that ASchwarz, ever full of wrong information and skewered logic, chimes in with this beauty:

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    It is illegal for gays to marry, yet if I support the changing of this law, it does not make me a "horrid cow".
    And this:

Similarly, New York State is basically the only place on earth where there are World War II "emergency" rent controls,
    No matter how you define it, or it's reason for being... rent control is alive and well in other parts of the world as well.

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; April 28th, 2009 at 07:12 AM.

I slept poorly last night, realizing an apology was due.

To the entire bovine population: I'm truly sorry.

I shouldn't have slurred you in such a vile manner.

To spare the cows, and using an outdated WNY acronym, I should have writ:

"You horrid POS."

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post

And I love that ASchwarz, ever full of wrong information and skewered logic, chimes in with this beauty:--
    Wrong again. Please identify the "wrong information" and "skewered logic".

I am correct that gays cannot marry in NY State, and I am correct that a forumer was labeled a "Horrid Cow" soley for disagreeing with existing state rent laws. No problem with info or logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    And this:
    No matter how you define it, or it's reason for being... rent control is alive and well in other parts of the world as well.
    That's not what I wrote. NY is the only place I know of with WWII emergency rent laws.

We do NOT have rent laws based on income or any other relevant factor. In fact, rent controlled apartments tend to be held by some of the most privlieged people in the city. The fact is that I could be the richest man on earth this year, and I could legally hold a rent-controlled apartment.

If you want rent laws, there may be reasonable ways of implementing such a law. We have rent laws exclusively based on a housing emergency in the early 1940's.

The "horrid" comment was not due to any disagreement over a legal point, but rather for the utter disregard and hatred shown towards those who the poster deemed to be "decrepit" and useless.

We have rent laws exclusively based on a housing emergency in the early 1940's.
    Study up, AS.

A mere 2% of the NY housing stock remains under control of the WW2 era laws that you keep harping about. You'll be happy to know that Rent Control will be a thing of the past before too long.

The more recent laws which govern Rent Stablized units are based upon a shortage of housing. That shortage is deemed, in legalese, an "emergency" when the vacancy rate is below 5%. Which is where it has stood for my entire lifetime, and no doubt yours. This year the vacancy rate is a very low 2.88%. Happily the rent laws have been extended and its quite possible that, after 15 years of chipping away at rights previously granted to tenants, better legislation will soon be passed to protect those who rent housing in NYC.

220 Central Park South is largely empty. Some doctors had offices in there, but they've moved. Hopefully, Pelli designs a gem here.

Also, the following was filed with the DOB on 8/5/09:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=02
    Last edited by londonlawyer; August 7th, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

This was recently filed for 220 CPS (aka 216 W 59th / 216-220 CPS / 217-223 W 58th):

PLAN EXAM - APPROVED 07/07/2009

UNDERPIN BUILDING IN CONJUNCTION WITH ADJACENT NEW BUILDING.
    NO CHANGE IN USE EGRESS OR OCCUPANCY.
    ADJACENT NEW BUILDING # 120007116
    That "Adjacent New Building" site is located on the lot at 225 West 58th (aka 225-227 W 58).

Info for that New Building Job No: 120007116:

PERMIT ISSUED - PARTIAL JOB 06/25/2009

Architect: John Cetra / CETRA/CRI ARCHITECTURE, PLLC

Height: 185'
    Stories: 18
    Dwelling Units: 50

This project got slapped with a Stop Work Order this week (now resolved):

WATER STANDING AT BOTTOM OF EXCAVATION CREATING A HARZARDOUS CONDITION.

Thanks for the info, Lofter.

I walked by this site yesterday and was dismayed to see that these filthy broken down eyesores are still standing.

Has there been any activity on the 58th Steet sites (i.e., the ones shown above)?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast