Thread: World Trade Center Map

Default World Trade Center Map

I have created World Trade Center Map on Windows Local.Live.com. Hovering over a marker and then clicking on "More info..." takes you to Wired New York page, from which there is a link to corresponding forum thread.

Please provide your comments and/or corrections.

Great map!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have created World Trade Center Map on Windows Local.Live.com. Hovering over a marker and then clicking on "More info..." takes you to Wired New York page, from which there is a link to corresponding forum thread.

Please provide your comments and/or corrections.
    Very interesting. This can come in handy I tellya. It would be cool to have an image of each... Like 50 Trinity Place where many victims ran inside for shelter from the dust, that fateful day. And a corresponding thread per building...

Nice work

Couldn't find Cordoba Center. Shouldn't it be there somewhere?

That one ^ should be added, now that it's the most notorious unfindable spot downtown.

There's some irony that folks are now fighting to save the somewhat homely but utilitarian 45 Park Place -- but there was nary a peep back in 2008 when Chang tore down the glory that was 50 Trinity Place (today nothing but a plot of rubble surrounded by a nasty fence).

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    That one ^ should be added, now that it's the most notorious unfindable spot downtown.

There's some irony that folks are now fighting to save the somewhat homely but utilitarian 45 Park Place -- but there was nary a peep back in 2008 when Chang tore down the glory that was 50 Trinity Place (today nothing but a plot of rubble surrounded by a nasty fence).
    I went personally ballistic. I loved that building.

Were there any attempts to preserve parts of the facade for later incorporation into someone else's building??? Did they TRY to save some pieces, to stash them someplace, like the recently uncovered parts of the Collinnade from upstate???
    It's a true shame to see so many of the smaller historic buildings in the City get taken out, only to be replaced by bland, unneeded architectural knockoffs, or worse, empty lots. The streetscape gets unfriendly; personality--and the fine details of an evolving, carefully designed street--gets totally lost when a tower replaces it's scale with that of a bunch of small buildings, and one tends to walk faster and feel smaller as you pass. The older, European-scale buildings in Midtown often make one linger, noticing more about the style of the place and it's setting among the larger streetscape than the goods in the shopwindows.
    I really thought that NY developers had evolved and were respecting the past, but no, the 2010 mantra is "...everything old must go to make room for the new".

The cast iron columns are not that difficult to dismantle (if some TLC is used) for future use (the pieces are bolted together). The upper stone facade could be something of a different story, depending upon how it was put together and the condition it's in. CB1 landmark committee put in their response to the Landmarking review that the facade be saved (although they voted against protecting it via LPC designation).

Perhaps the history lovers who don't want Cordoba House to be built will create a fund to purchase the facade. I hear the current owner is trying to raise some money.