Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: WTC (New) 3D Model

141 ft square?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
    That's a sweet angle I've never seen before.
    Yeah, in most of the designs they've shown online etc. you see the building from south-west angle looking north-east (roughly).

STR, how do you find the time to do these incredible models??? Try not to kill your computer with the awesome renders!!

BTW, how long does it normally take to render each shot? The reflective facade must be a nightmare to render.

The glass does take a while to render, up to 30 minutes. But the far away shots can take as little as 5. For some reason, it takes a lot less time to render the Twin Towers, in spite of using the same settings (actually, I up the anti-aliasing/sampling for the Twin Towers, as the close vertical lines look like crap at 4x(for those who have no idea what that means, the short story is I up the detail for the TT that should make renders longer than the NWTC) and they're entirely reflective (both the windows and the metal facade reflect). I belive it is the transparency calculations that eat up CPU cycles moreso than reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    The glass does take a while to render, up to 30 minutes. But the far away shots can take as little as 5. For some reason, it takes a lot less time to render the Twin Towers, in spite of using the same settings (actually, I up the anti-aliasing/sampling for the Twin Towers, as the close vertical lines look like crap at 4x(for those who have no idea what that means, the short story is I up the detail for the TT that should make renders longer than the NWTC) and they're entirely reflective (both the windows and the metal facade reflect). I belive it is the transparency calculations that eat up CPU cycles moreso than reflections.
    Yeah, same with my program (Bryce) although the rendering doesn't take a 1/2 hour. My program has 4 levels of rendering quality (Default (No AA), Regular (Normal AA), Super (Fine Art AA), Premium (Effect AA). Premium takes around 2-3 minutes to render my Twin Towers, and even then some of the close lines are a bit stuffed up. It does have another option that makes it easier for the computer to render clustered scenes, but even then the facade doesn't look fantastic. Also the program can't hold some very big files - I think with version 5.5 (my one, I'm currently trying to get version 6) can hold about 50 MB without crashing.

Well 3Ds Max goes overboard with the AA settings. I believe the maximum is like 128x, or maybe even 256x. There is no reason on earth why you'd need that much AA. I used 64x once, and other than doubling render time, it did nothing.

Thumbs up

Whatever you do STR.... keep it up. These models are awesome, and it really helps get a perspective of the greatness to be built at Ground Zero.

Thanks.

Well 3Ds Max goes overboard with the AA settings. I believe the maximum is like 128x, or maybe even 256x. There is no reason on earth why you'd need that much AA. I used 64x once, and other than doubling render time, it did nothing.
    Ok...

That's a bit random. I agree when you say, "There is no reason on earth why you'd need that much AA". Still, it must be nice to have render time doubled... mmm... that'd be very nice...

If it takes around a half-hour to render lots of your shots, then how do you find the time to render shots to show us here on the website?

And reflections can be quite annoying because it adds stuff to the model that is off-camera, for example the other side of the TT lobby (cry of annoyance, not "eek")

How accurate's the ESB?

I have no idea. I downloaded it from Google Earth.

Wow, im getting excited to live in 200 Chambers, ..GS, is the building in front of the Movie theater?...its HUGE!..didnt know thats what is going in there.

I have no idea. I downloaded it from Google Earth.
    Oh, ok. Did you put it in to 3ds Max Studio? I wish I could do that in Bryce...

I was going to use that picture to make my 3D model of the ESB, because I need one for my film. I've made two, one crappy one and one mediocre one, but the facade sucks. It's a big glass wall with windows. With windows on the corner. That's really stupid and munted.

In fact, on second thought, I think I have that model on Google Earth. It's really good. I like turning 3D buildings on and then zooming down to the observation level on the 3D ESB. The model's really good...

I have the model on google earth too. wow STR, lookin good

A slightly less blocky WTC2. This thing is going to look wierd from quite a few angles. Rarely will it look like the neat, organized, diamonds as in the renders. Most of the time it'll look pretty jagged. It's a little disconcerting sometimes.

Where did you get that picture you've placed beneath the buildings?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast