Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 117

Thread: WTC (New) 3D Model

  1. #91

    Default

    141 ft square?

  2. #92

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
    That's a sweet angle I've never seen before.
    Yeah, in most of the designs they've shown online etc. you see the building from south-west angle looking north-east (roughly).

    STR, how do you find the time to do these incredible models??? Try not to kill your computer with the awesome renders!!

    BTW, how long does it normally take to render each shot? The reflective facade must be a nightmare to render.

  3. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    613

    Default

    The glass does take a while to render, up to 30 minutes. But the far away shots can take as little as 5. For some reason, it takes a lot less time to render the Twin Towers, in spite of using the same settings (actually, I up the anti-aliasing/sampling for the Twin Towers, as the close vertical lines look like crap at 4x(for those who have no idea what that means, the short story is I up the detail for the TT that should make renders longer than the NWTC) and they're entirely reflective (both the windows and the metal facade reflect). I belive it is the transparency calculations that eat up CPU cycles moreso than reflections.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    The glass does take a while to render, up to 30 minutes. But the far away shots can take as little as 5. For some reason, it takes a lot less time to render the Twin Towers, in spite of using the same settings (actually, I up the anti-aliasing/sampling for the Twin Towers, as the close vertical lines look like crap at 4x(for those who have no idea what that means, the short story is I up the detail for the TT that should make renders longer than the NWTC) and they're entirely reflective (both the windows and the metal facade reflect). I belive it is the transparency calculations that eat up CPU cycles moreso than reflections.
    Yeah, same with my program (Bryce) although the rendering doesn't take a 1/2 hour. My program has 4 levels of rendering quality (Default (No AA), Regular (Normal AA), Super (Fine Art AA), Premium (Effect AA). Premium takes around 2-3 minutes to render my Twin Towers, and even then some of the close lines are a bit stuffed up. It does have another option that makes it easier for the computer to render clustered scenes, but even then the facade doesn't look fantastic. Also the program can't hold some very big files - I think with version 5.5 (my one, I'm currently trying to get version 6) can hold about 50 MB without crashing.

  5. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Well 3Ds Max goes overboard with the AA settings. I believe the maximum is like 128x, or maybe even 256x. There is no reason on earth why you'd need that much AA. I used 64x once, and other than doubling render time, it did nothing.

  6. #96

    Thumbs up

    Whatever you do STR.... keep it up. These models are awesome, and it really helps get a perspective of the greatness to be built at Ground Zero.

    Thanks.

  7. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    Well 3Ds Max goes overboard with the AA settings. I believe the maximum is like 128x, or maybe even 256x. There is no reason on earth why you'd need that much AA. I used 64x once, and other than doubling render time, it did nothing.
    Ok...

    That's a bit random. I agree when you say, "There is no reason on earth why you'd need that much AA". Still, it must be nice to have render time doubled... mmm... that'd be very nice...

    If it takes around a half-hour to render lots of your shots, then how do you find the time to render shots to show us here on the website?

  8. #98

    Default

    And reflections can be quite annoying because it adds stuff to the model that is off-camera, for example the other side of the TT lobby (cry of annoyance, not "eek")

  9. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    How accurate's the ESB?

  10. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I have no idea. I downloaded it from Google Earth.

  11. #101

    Default

    Wow, im getting excited to live in 200 Chambers, ..GS, is the building in front of the Movie theater?...its HUGE!..didnt know thats what is going in there.

  12. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    I have no idea. I downloaded it from Google Earth.
    Oh, ok. Did you put it in to 3ds Max Studio? I wish I could do that in Bryce...

    I was going to use that picture to make my 3D model of the ESB, because I need one for my film. I've made two, one crappy one and one mediocre one, but the facade sucks. It's a big glass wall with windows. With windows on the corner. That's really stupid and munted.

  13. #103

    Default

    In fact, on second thought, I think I have that model on Google Earth. It's really good. I like turning 3D buildings on and then zooming down to the observation level on the 3D ESB. The model's really good...

  14. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Windows on the World
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I have the model on google earth too. wow STR, lookin good

  15. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    A slightly less blocky WTC2. This thing is going to look wierd from quite a few angles. Rarely will it look like the neat, organized, diamonds as in the renders. Most of the time it'll look pretty jagged. It's a little disconcerting sometimes.

    Where did you get that picture you've placed beneath the buildings?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTC (Original) 3D Model
    By STR in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 928
    Last Post: May 8th, 2014, 12:41 PM
  2. Model plane on the roof of 77 Water Street
    By thomasjfletcher in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: August 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
  3. Empire State Building 3D model
    By Joelio in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM
  4. Model Making?
    By jpdc in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM
  5. Digital 3D NY Model - Join the Team!
    By Just Rich in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 24th, 2003, 11:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software