Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: World Trade Center Performing Arts Center - by Frank Gehry

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The way things are going it's more likely that a huge trading floor will be built on site rather than a Performing Arts Center .
    same thing some days

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Lol!

That's what I was thinking.

At least TEN YEARS before this one is completed -- but don't hold your breath even on that time frame ...

Charge of no leadership on arts center

Downtown Express
    Volume 21, Number 29
    by Julie Shapiro
    Nov. 28 - Dec. 4, 2008

One stakeholder at the World Trade Center site is voicing strong support for the oft-forgotten performing arts center.

“That project needs a shot in the arm of confidence,” said Janno Lieber, director of W.T.C. construction for Silverstein Properties. “Right now it only exists on paper.”

Lieber spoke at a City Council hearing Friday, and while PAC supporters might find his words encouraging, Lieber has no direct role in the PAC planning. Still, the developer of Towers 2, 3 and 4 thinks it is important to bring arts to the site.

Plans for the PAC have been looking less certain lately, though no one is taking it off the table. In October, the Port Authority, which is in arbitration with Silverstein on another W.T.C. matter, said construction on the PAC cannot begin until 2015 because the temporary PATH entrance currently sits right where the center will go. The city has not decided who will raise the money for the PAC or when fundraising will begin. Frank Gehry will design the building, which the Joyce Theater is slated to occupy, but renderings have not been released.

“There would be a lot more momentum if there were some leadership, a design and a fundraising effort underway,” Lieber said. “Raising money is important proof of credibility.”

City Councilmember Alan Gerson, who led Friday’s hearing, also questioned the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. on plans for the arts center. The L.M.D.C. is the only entity that has allocated money for the PAC: $60 million, of which $55 million remains.

Sayar Lonial, director of planning for the L.M.D.C., said the L.M.D.C. wants to see the PAC move forward but cannot force other agencies to do more than they are doing. The Port Authority is building underground infrastructure to support a future performing arts center.

“That’s about as concrete as you can get at this point,” Lonial said.

Lonial added that it is difficult to raise money without a design, and it is difficult to have a design for a building that won’t break ground for another six years.

Kate deRosset, spokesperson for the city Department of Cultural Affairs, would not say who would raise money for the project.

“L.M.D.C. is funding the current planning phase to determine the viability of a PAC on the site, and how much such a facility would cost,” deRosset said. She said the L.M.D.C. is working with the city to design and plan the PAC. She would not give a timeline for the project, citing the complexities of the W.T.C. site.

At Friday’s hearing, Lieber spoke for many people in the community when he said, “Everybody needs to feel that that project has a future.”

© 2008 Community Media, LLC

Seems like they could come up with a basic shape that falls in zoning guidelines etc.

Or they could come up with a rendering, and then reject it later on like they did for every other project on the site. Why not get that process started.

Hello everybody! I've been following Wired New York for years and decided it was time to make a handle.

I wouldn't mind seeing the PAC moved to the site of the Deutsche Bank Building. As is the PAC would have been squeezed into the site next to the Freedom Tower and considering the lack of demand for office space, let's swap the uninspired Tower 5 for a grand, and larger PAC. If you look at the site plan Foster created for the WTC he put the PAC in Tower 5's spot.

^^^hmm, interesting thought. I don't know if I necessarily agree, because the tower 5 lot is not much bigger then the PAC's current spot, and otherwise WTC1 would be next to a vacant lot. On the other hand I think if it was built in tower 5's spot, it may have more room to be admired. (The Frank Gehry one here in LA is pretty sprawling). They could also put a smaller hotel tower next to Freedom tower. I guess my opinion will be based on the design of tower 5...

BTW I thought you were Sherpa for a sec Pinkie

Maybe, but much cuter!

Default WTC Performing Arts Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I've been following Wired New York for years and decided it was time to make a handle.

...... I wouldn't mind seeing the PAC moved to the site of the Deutsche Bank Building ..... If you look at the site plan Foster created for the WTC he put the PAC in Tower 5's spot.
    I took a look at the Foster schematics, nice site plan, the inclusion of the PAC at that location would be good to see; perhaps that's still an option.

One feature of the current plan for #5 tower I would like to see revised is the 'overhang' to the adjacent St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church - the original destroyed by the events of 9/11 - it makes (to my eye) the tower seem a bit top heavy.

P.S. - Glad you (after so many years) got around to making a handle: and a comment.
    Last edited by infoshare; December 4th, 2008 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Seems like they could come up with a basic shape that falls in zoning guidelines etc.
    There are no zoning guidelines at the WTC. The city can't dictate to the PA, so the PANY can build whatever they want.

One feature of the current plan for #5 tower I would like to see revised is the 'overhang' to the adjacent St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
    That overhang design was scrapped a while ago, the trading floors (the extruding part) were no longer needed when JPMorgan acquired Bear Sterns. I don't know what they plan to do with the site, and it may even become a residential tower.
    Another thing I heard was that the Greek Orthodox Church was moved from the site. I may be wrong though...

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    There are no zoning guidelines at the WTC. The city can't dictate to the PA, so the PANY can build whatever they want.
    Not exactly true. The EIS controls the site. They can't arbitrarily build what they want without initiating a new approval process.

Quote Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post

Another thing I heard was that the Greek Orthodox Church was moved from the site. I may be wrong though...
    Where did you hear that?

Every indication that I know of has the GO Church being rebuilt on the NE corner of that plot along Liberty Street above the entry to the WTC Vehicle Security Center.

That's pretty sacred.

My apologies, I misunderstood that they were relocating from their original plot to the spot right above tower 5. I should have put 2 and 2 together.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast