Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: World Trade Center Performing Arts Center - by Frank Gehry

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    ...I really hate this design. If they do choose Frank Gehry, he better come up with something like Beekman.
    I do too. This thing is absurd. Is this what he actually proposes? If so, I hope that it never gets funded.

Look at any of Gehry's initial models for various projects. They are consistently of this sort, which show very general massing and change of materials from one section to another. This is not the building that will be built.

Some very good points about the intitial design:

1) Varied materials on the facades to break up the mass.

2) The stepped-back scheme, that pulls up and away from the Memorial Plaza below (and which will help to mask the numerous lower floors of 7WTC enclosed in stainless steel grates rising just beyond). The step-backs also give breathing space for the Calatrava hub structure, sitting catty-corner to the SE.

3) Numerous exterior plazas on many levels.

4) It's not a box.

I was hoping for a cool traditional, wavy Gehry like Bilbao or the LA Concert hall.

Given the situation at the site Frank has plenty of time to add some waves to connect it all together.

The Disney Concert Hall is superb, but I'm wishing that Gehry pushes the envelope for something distinctive rather than derivative. I loved the cubist forms of his last version of his Brooklyn tower. Although the model above is playing with mass and form, I remain optimistic that his final design will leave us challenged, surprised, and kept in suspense during its (hopeful) construction.

I think that the design in the pic above looks like a disgusting pile of junk!

Gehry Jigs for Joyce at Ground Zero

By Matt Chaban

The final piece of the World Trade Center redevelopment has fallen into place, as the mayor, governor and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver announced the allocation of $100 million in federal funds for the completion of Frank Gehry's long-delayed performing arts center at ground zero.

The $450 million center will house the Joyce dance company. It was also to include the Signature Theatre, but the group abandoned the building over uncertainty about its completion or even realization for a site in midtown.

As the redevelopment of ground zero trudged along, it was not clear there would be funds for the performing arts center, and it was nearly cancelled earlier this year. That is because the spaghetti of tunnels and mechanical systems that undergird the entire 16-acre site was being held up over the project's uncertain future. Just three days ago, the Post was casting renewed doubt on the project. (Take that, chumps.)

"I am tremendously pleased that this $100 million commitment clearly paves the way for this long-promised performing arts center, which will be a cultural jewel for Lower Manhattan," Mr. Silver, whose district includes the World Trade Center site, said in a statement. "I want to thank Mayor Bloomberg for his strong support and for realizing how important this is to the rebuilding of my Lower Manhattan community following the tragedy of 9/11. We are creating a world-class venue for music, dance and the performing arts that will be a celebration of the vital cultural life of our Downtown neighborhood."

The new $100 million adds to the $50 million of 9/11 rebuilding funds that had already been set aside for the project. Andrew Brent, a mayoral spokesman, said the rest of the funding would likely come from private sources, though that has not officially been determined. "This is a major contribution to make sure it happens," Mr. Brent said.

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...ce-ground-zero

Give us a good one, Mr Gehry.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I do too. This thing is absurd. Is this what he actually proposes? If so, I hope that it never gets funded.

I have a very strong (and uneasy) feeling that this is the design.

Gehry builds abstract models that are design studies.

You don't know what this represents. and neither do I.

And truth is, at this point, nor does Gehry.

Creation is watching something take form.

One thing that brings a smile to my face: This building (whatever it becomes) will effectively block the view of the new Fiterman Hall from many points within the Memorial site. Unfortunately it won't do that job completely.

It's also a building that will be widely visible and open on parts of all four sides: [1] The north face will be the least openly visible, as a good portion faces onto the southern side of 7WTC. But the NE corner will be highly visible from the triangular plaza fronting onto Fiterman and 7WTC; [2] The east face will be fully visible from Greenwich Street and the plaza / lobby at 2WTC; [3] The south face (what we're seeing in the working model) will be fully visible from the Memorial plaza and face towards the glass entry of the Snohetta Pavillion; [4] The west face will be fully open to the small triangular plaza between this and 1 WTC.

Odd that this thread doesn't include a map or diagram of the site. Now it has one (of sorts):

Direction: SW ^

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post

This model looks like it was built out of left over bits of other models (let's see, I have some square blocks, some plastic and some little trees lying around...) I'd like to see a refinement of this concept. Unfortunately, Gehry is able to build forms that are still a little undercooked. It's basically his style: build a concept model as an actual building.

Quote Originally Posted by dbhstockton View Post
    It's basically his style: build a concept model as an actual building.
    That's right; and most architects would kill for that privilege, for it's the essence of artistic purity and freedom.

Others who were enabled to do this: Saarinen, Kahn, Corbu, Gaudi. For them, each project could be an experiment.

Unfortunately people have to use, work, and live in his "concepts." It's great for the egomaniac architect, lousy for people who have to put up with it. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt in your philosophy. Especially the philosophy of a hack architect getting by on hype.

"hack"

Ridiculous. No matter one's opinion of his work, toss that word around for Gehry and it loses all meaning.

Other than a few folks who initially complained of glare from the surface material (now remedied) there have been no complaints for his Disney Hall in LA. The people who work in and attend concerts there have only praised Gehry's work. And I sure don't hear anybody at IAC in NYC complaining.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast