Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Harlem Residential Development

1 Says it right on the sidewalk shed. It's the old Corn Exchange building. Nice to see it's pretty far along now.

Forum Veteran

As YIMBY reported, BIG filed permits for a retail and apartment building in East Harlem at 158 East 126 St.:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

11 floors, 233 units

From the amenities indicated on the Schedule A, it looks to be pretty high end. Apartments start on the 4th floor.

http://bdg.net/projects/gotham-plaza...ment#&panel1-1

Harlem's 125th Street Could Get 200 More Apartments

March 20, 2015, by Jessica Dailey

The intersection of 125th Street and Lenox Avenue, already a hub of development, could get another big project. The Real Deal reports that a 200-unit, 15-story mixed-use building could sprout at 64-75 West 125th Street. Developer DHA Capital is close to finalizing a land-lease deal with the Fata Organization that would give them control of 150 feet along 125th Street. The proposed building, designed by GF55 Architects, would hold seven levels of retail.

The project joins a slew of others. the Whole Foods shopping center is rising on the other side of Lenox Avenue, and another commercial complex, anchored by a Bed, Bath & Beyond is coming to 5-15 West 125th Street across the road. Just a few blocks away, you'll find Bruce Eichner's 1800 Park Avenue, the Victoria Theater redevelopment, and Extell's to-be-determined at 160 East 125th Street.

DHA Capital close to nabbing land lease on 125th St.: source [TRD]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...apartments.php

Forum Veteran

Frederick Douglass Blvd and 140th Street, a few days ago. More excavation since then.

I have been working a lot lately in various new condos: glitzy new buildings, million dollar apartments, fancy doorman lobbies, etc. The area is changing, but changing slowly, and the change is spotty with rich and poor living side by side: a real "tale of two cities".

New solar shades installed in an apartment located on 133rd street, Lenox Avenue. Very ‘see-through’ shades: at night, with the lights on, ‘see-through’ means they can ‘see you’.
    For more interior photos of this apartment; and others - visit and please 'like' my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/designbuildinteriors

Last edited by infoshare; April 4th, 2015 at 04:36 PM.

Forum Veteran

2630 Frederick Douglass Boulevard

8/19

8/31

Harlem has declined rapidly thanks to our Sandinista mayor and the crazed homeless zombies who roam around high on k2.

NY needs another Giuliani-Bloomberg style mayor.

I go into Harlem often for my work: the area has changed dramatically with all the new condo developments, and the influx of affluent people who buy those condos. However, I find walking the streets in Harlem to be slightly frightening and the overall street atmosphere quite dispiriting. The operative term here is "I find" : most people I speak with do not find it to be as awful as I do - different sensitivity levels, different standards, different opinions. I agree with LL every once in awhile; this is one of those time.

Forum Veteran

You are two terribly, terribly ignorant men.

I can't stand DeBlasio but have no idea what people are talking about. Harlem is vastly nicer than in the recent past.

The economic and demographic trends remaking Harlem are independent from who happens to be mayor at any time. Harlem is quite nice, safe and desirable these days.

There's far more street homelessness in the fanciest parts of Manhattan than in Harlem; the intersection I assume London Lawyer is referring to (125th/3rd area) has had street people for decades (it's the daily dropoff point for the city's largest men's shelter).

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek View Post
    You are two terribly, terribly ignorant men.
    You're a moron. The homeless loonies, who are high on K2, have become a colossal menace. They're all over Herald Square, Penn Plaza, Bryant Park, and Harlem. Their drug camps on 125th are well-publicized. This could be solved very easily. Round them up and ship them to upstate rehab centers.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/06/city-ha...-street-plaza/
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 8th, 2015 at 08:45 PM.

I feel vaguely uncomfortable walking through most sections of Harlem; that is not at all the case in any other neighborhood in Manhattan. I could elaborate - but rather not - on the various reasons why I feel discomfited by the area, but all I can say is that is I my emotional response to the area. How or why anyone would want to rise to refute or challenge my personal experience of being in a particular place seems a bit unreasonable: but I welcome the responses anyway - no harm done, no offense taken.

This subject brings an interesting notion to mind. Maybe if our own TOLZ felt a little less 'comfortable' walking along 125th Street in Harlem, he would be alive today: feeling a bit 'uneasy' about your immediate surroundings is a deep seated defense mechanism that raises ones alertness, something I never suppress - even in the name of political correctness.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/10/ny...rlem.html?_r=0
    ........Excerpt - Mr. Hehman, a 20-year-old junior who lived on the Upper East Side, was hit by a silver Mercedes-Benz the night of April 1 as he tried to escape five teenagers who had accosted him as he walked to a friend's apartment to play video games. He died four days later, never having regained consciousness......
    Last edited by infoshare; September 8th, 2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    This subject brings an interesting notion to mind. Maybe if our own TOLZ felt a little less 'comfortable' walking along 125th Street in Harlem, he would be alive today: feeling a bit 'uneasy' about your immediate surroundings is a deep seated defense mechanism that raises ones alertness, something I never suppress - even in the name of political correctness.
    Using a person's death to confirm your own biases is not a reasonable response, and I'm the furthest thing from politically correct.

Harlem isn't a high crime neighborhood. It just isn't. And taking an incident from Harlem's recent past, and then using it to form larger conclusions, is nonsensical. Is Scarsdale unsafe because there have been high profile executions? Is the Upper East Side unsafe for the same reasons? If you want justification for not liking an area, you can find an incident to fit your preferred worldview.

I suspect you feel less comfortable in Central Harlem than in other Manhattan neighborhoods because it's the only majority black neighborhood in Manhattan. I suspect you would have the same feelings about Fort Greene/Clinton Hill in Brooklyn, for example, and not so much in Bushwick or Washington Heights, even though the former have much lower crime. There isn't any objective reason to feel uncomfortable, and in any case your race-related misgivings will soon be a memory, as Harlem won't be majority black for much longer.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789