Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 57th Street Rising: Development Boom

Default 57th Street Rising: Development Boom

Full article: http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...-becoming.html

At the moment, there are at least eight projects under construction (or
    imminently so) along 57th Street, with two of these projects exceeding 1,000
    feet.Impressive height is only one of the features of the projects along
    57th Street--groundbreaking designs that could change the direction of modern
    architecture are another.

I've work a lot in this area and I've quickly found the 57th St corridor one of my favorite places in the city for reasons I can't quiet put into words. It still has a lot of old school NY charm to it; hasn't been sanitized as much as other areas.

The one thing I would push back on is the projects at 11th Ave. The pyramid building by Bjarke Ingels Group is underway, but the project on the south side of the street is not going anywhere. A new car dealership (Acura) just opened up on that block and the new Sanitation Department building is a huge, hulking mass taking up half the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Czervik.Construction View Post
    The one thing I would push back on is the projects at 11th Ave. The pyramid building by Bjarke Ingels Group is underway, but the project on the south side of the street is not going anywhere. A new car dealership (Acura) just opened up on that block and the new Sanitation Department building is a huge, hulking mass taking up half the block.
    That development site doesn't include the Sanitation property nor the Acura. It's a large assemblage, and was recently sold to developers who intend to build a rental complex.

The Sanitation property, BTW, takes up maybe 10% of the 57th Street frontage. Nowhere near half the block.

The block has been "recently sold" for several years. I should have been more clear on the Sanitation building. It is about 6-7 stories tall and although it takes up not a lot of the 57th street block, it hangs over the street from 56th street. The back of anything built on that end would have no windows until the 8th or 9th floor for about 40% of the block. There were talks of 3 apartment buildings going up there, now it is down to 1 45-50 story building. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    That development site doesn't include the Sanitation property nor the Acura. It's a large assemblage, and was recently sold to developers who intend to build a rental complex.

The Sanitation property, BTW, takes up maybe 10% of the 57th Street frontage. Nowhere near half the block.

If they finally add midblock crosswalks on the Holly Whyte Way between 6th and 7th, it would do wonders for 57th street, being the terminus for a midblock promenade that stretches all the way to the Rockefeller Center. This crosswalk would essentially be right next to One57.
    Last edited by LeCom; April 28th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Near the Pyramid Tower

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    New York Observer
    http://observer.com/2013/04/tf-corne...t-57th-street/

By Stephen Jacob Smith10:15am

Back in 2011, AvalonBay abandoned plansto build a 44-story, 700-unit rental building on the block south of West 57th Street between Eleventh and Twelfth Avenues. TF Cornerstone was rumored to be interested in the site, and it turns out the rumors were true: the Manhattan-based developer now wants to build a 45-story, 1,189-unit residential tower on the same site, according to documents filed with the Department of City Planning.

If approved, the project would contain a total of 1.2 million square feet of floorspace, with 42,000 square feet set aside for commercial use and a 550-space underground parking garage. Of the apartments, 20 percent—238 units—would be set aside as affordable housing under the city’s inclusionary zoning program.

The project would, along with the residential pyramid that Bjarke Ingels is building for Durst Fetner on the north side of 57th Street, anchor the booming crosstown corridor, where half a dozen other luxury towers are in the works.

TF Cornerstone will have to go through the same private rezoning process for 606 West 57th as Dursts and Fetners had to do with the Bjarke Ingels building, involving a slurry of acronyms and eventually a vote in City Council. They’re seeking to rezone the parcels—which make up most, but not all of the block—from their old manufacturing designations to a zone that allows the highest residential density in the city.

A building on the southeastern corner of the block, included in the rezoning application but not in TF Cornerstone’s project, is owned by Republican mayoral candidate and Gristedes owner John Catsimatidis.

TF Cornerstone signed a 99-year lease for the site last May, leasing the land from Montgomery, Alabama-based Four Plus. Charles Edgar Appleby, the progenitor of Four Plus, first acquired land on Manhattan’s West Side in the 19th century. He once declared, “It has been my rule to keep the value of my property in land, not in buildings.” Apparently his offspring feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    If they finally add midblock crosswalks on the Holly Whyte Way between 6th and 7th, it would do wonders for 57th street, being the terminus for a midblock promenade that stretches all the way to the Rockefeller Center. This crosswalk would essentially be right next to One57.
    Since this thread has been dredged up, I'll note that this has now been done.

I'm starting to wonder just what will remain of the old 57th St. after this cycle of redevelopment ends. Suddenly everything that doesn't have a plaque stuck on a wall at the entrance is in play.

Won't be the first time. 57th street probably had something on it before car dealerships too.

The crappy white brick rental tower on the southeast corner of 57th and 6th should come down and be combined with the large, empty site next to it.

I imagine that's the exact reason there's nothing happening on that empty lot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    The crappy white brick rental tower on the southeast corner of 57th and 6th should come down and be combined with the large, empty site next to it.
    southwest corner, too

The new plans for 610 West 57th are atrocious, I'm guessing it's some kind of SHoP creation (it's certainly SHoP inspired, if not designed...). Chakrabarti's disregard for context is just as blatant as that of Robert Moses IMO, just on a vertical rather than horizontal scale... such a shame that his budget designs are starting to become the go-to for mid/low income housing in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

SHoP has become "The Gene Kaufman it's ok to love".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast