Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World Cup

Default The World Cup

Italy Wins The World Cup Soccer In Penalty Kicks. Italy 5 France 3

Yeah I saw the match. I have always been a major football fan. I was disappointed early on in world cup but of course I kept watching them all till the very end. Honestly, Italy won but from where i was standing France was the better team. They had more energy and I honestly belive tehy could have won if Zidane had not been thrown out. Just my opinion but to the Italians congratulations(I love italian men so i can't stay upset for long). Ciao

gotta wonder what Materazzi said that got under Zidane's skin to make him whack out like that ...

arrivaderci!

Forza Italia !!!

Bravi Ragazzi!!

Sandra Behne/Getty Images

Italy not only won its fourth World Cup but also
    stretched its unbeaten streak to 25.

Thrills in Rome and Paris, but Italians Get Final Cheer

Gregorio Borgia/Associated Press
    Fans celebrate in Rome's Trevi Fountain after Italy's World Cup victory.

Copyright 2006 NY TIMES

Italy Celebrates ...

Favola azzurra, esplode la festa in tutta Italia

Corriere della Sera / World Cup

Napoli (Ansa)

Napoli (Ansa)

Roma, Circo Massimo (Afp)

(Ansa)

(Benvegnù-Lannuti)

(Benvegnù-Lannuti)

(Ansa)

Milano, Piazza Duomo (Ansa)

Torino (Ap)

CAMPIONI DEL MONDO

http://www.repubblica.it/

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    gotta wonder what Materazzi said that got under Zidane's skin to make him whack out like that ...

arrivaderci!
    I am sure it wasn't a pleasant conversation but for a legend like Zidane to behave in such manner in his last game before he retires and leave his team a man short was inexcusable..

Quote Originally Posted by wonder
    Yeah I saw the match. I have always been a major football fan. I was disappointed early on in world cup but of course I kept watching them all till the very end. Honestly, Italy won but from where i was standing France was the better team. They had more energy and I honestly belive tehy could have won if Zidane had not been thrown out. Just my opinion but to the Italians congratulations(I love italian men so i can't stay upset for long). Ciao
    Officiating in the early going was terrible and the teams played not to make a mistake.. Most games that I watched, with exception of Ghana-Chech Republic, were not good matches for a neutral soccer fan to enjoy but both the officials and and the football got much better towards the end..

I wanted Italy to win an I am happy they did.. France was the better team but as they say " better luck next time".... I was disappointed with Italy's performance after the first half, as they did not have the resilience they showed against the Germans.. That would have made this Final one of the best ones in the history of the game...

The Dude Abides

Saw a lot of people celebrating the victory today in Manhattan. Many bars and restaurants had crowds overflowing into the streets just to catch a glimpse of the TV. The Italians were loud, ecstatic, and at least somewhat drunk, but nothing like what those pictures above show. Some of those scenes look positively satanic!

The pagan roots in Rome run very deep ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1

arrivaderci!
    A racist slur possibly about Zidane's Algerian heritage: that could have been the only thing to make him snap. That wouldn't suprise me either considering the fact that Italian football is currently dominated (on the pitch, the boardroom and the stands) by racists, cheats and (once again) corrupt scum who destroy the beautiful game. You only have to look back to what happened to Dida in the CL Milano clash to see how bad Italian football has lowered to and will lower further after today.

France were the better side during the game, but Zidane being sent off and Henry, Ribery and Viera off seriously cut down the side. I was amazed how they even managed to hold on, but it was clear without their four top players - France weren't going to win when it came to the shoot-out. Italy unfortunately again showed why they are frowned upon in international football....to fall to the floor and try and get a free kick or penalty is bad enough as it is. To fall down, roll around as if you're guts had just imploded and sprayed across half the pitch and cry in a manner as if you were about to be executed...to go off and then come running back on as if nothing had happened makes me sick. The flow of the game was just harmed and for that reason the Wimbledon Mens Final was far superior for action and thrills.

The Zidane incident was bad, but playacting is a far more troubling issue within football and totally cuts off true fans like myself who play it and follow it day in day out. Playacting, corruptio and diving are as bad as drugs in my opinion.

I'm just thankful that the Premiership starts in just over a months time. Finally a good decent flow of games in the world's greatest league. My only worry is how much more Mr Abromovich will be spending on ensuring his Chelsea asset ensures more success!

In conclusion, this entire tournament has been messed up by cheats, divers and horrific refereeing. It started off great in the group stages and could have ended up to be the best tournament in living memory, but it ended up going in the wrong direction and has possibly ended up being one of the worst tournaments ever broadcast. The continual exception however has being the great hospitality and the real winners of this tournament are the German people.

It seemed that throughout the second half of the game France attacked a lot more than Italy. I was surprised because I didn't think that Italy would play for penalty kicks like that. Nonetheless, Italy won the game outright but the question in my head still resonates....

What the hell was Zidane thinking!? He is the captain, orchestrator,and glue of his team why the .... would you get yourself kicked out like that and do that to your team/country? That was pretty dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE
    It seemed that throughout the second half of the game France attacked a lot more than Italy. I was surprised because I didn't think that Italy would play for penalty kicks like that. Nonetheless, Italy won the game outright but the question in my head still resonates....

What the hell was Zidane thinking!? He is the captain, orchestrator,and glue of his team why the .... would you get yourself kicked out like that and do that to your team/country? That was pretty dumb.

I know what he did was and is inexcusable but i believe that it was a comment that really hit him hard, something racist along the lines of his northern african roots. Zizou is an extraordinary player of high class and this act was anything but. But if you were watching the same game that I was you would have seen this coming. the italians marked him the entire game and the ref. never fouled them. Every shot he was in someone was holding his shirt, knocking him down or doing something else to agravate him. I know it was an aggressive game its the world cup of course each side wants to win but it seemed like they were really attacking him inparticular and sometimes he didn't even have the ball when he was being harrased. Honestly I have to ask myself if i were in his position and i was being constantly harassed by this idiot would I have done the same thing. I don't condone it but depending on the circumstances i think that i could understand it.

Default what set him off

Might explain things
    Remember I don't think what Zidane did was right but it is understandable. Read it

The Zidane mystery

What set off France's captain during the key moment?

BERLIN (AP) -- Was it something he said?
    With France and Italy level in extra time of Sunday's World Cup final, Zinedine Zidane head-butted Marco Materazzi in the chest and was sent off. France went on to lose on penalty kicks.
    The day after, still no one knew what the Italian defender might have said to the French captain.
    "The Italians did everything they could do to provoke Zidane," France defender William Gallas said.
    Seconds before, Materazzi had wrapped his arm around Zidane just as a French attack on goal passed harmlessly by. The two exchanged words as they walked back up the field, well behind the play. Then, without warning, Zidane spun around, lowered his head and rammed Materazzi, knocking him to the ground.
    The Paris-based anti-racism advocacy group SOS-Racism issued a statement Monday quoting "several very well informed sources from the world of football" as saying Materazzi called Zidane a "dirty terrorist." It demanded that FIFA investigate and take any appropriate action.
    FIFA, which reviews all red cards at the World Cup, would not comment on the specifics.
    "This is a disciplinary matter now. I can't give any statements now," FIFA spokesman Markus Siegler said.
    Materazzi, meanwhile, was quoted as denying the terrorist comment.
    "It is absolutely not true, I didn't call him a terrorist, I don't know anything about that," the Italian news agency ANSA quoted Materazzi as saying when he arrived with his team at an Italian military airfield.
    "What happened is what all the world saw live on TV," the Italian player said, referring to the head-butting.
    Zidane's agent, Alain Migliaccio, was quoted by the BBC as saying the France captain told him the Italian "said something very serious to him, but he wouldn't tell me what."
    Whatever it was, it was enough to infuriate Zidane.
    "Zizou is someone who reacts to things," said Aime Jacquet, Zidane's coach at the 1998 World Cup. "Unfortunately he could not control himself. It's terrible to see him leave this way."
    Even with the ejection, Zidane still won the Golden Ball as the World Cup's best player.
    Zidane, who came out of retirement to help France qualify for the World Cup and said he would quit soccer completely after the tournament, got 2,012 points in the vote by journalists covering the tournament. The three-time player of the year beat Fabio Cannavaro (1,977) and Andrea Pirlo (715), both of Italy.
    Zidane's red card was anything but unusual. He was sent off 14 times in his career at the club and international level.
    At the 1998 World Cup, he stomped on a Saudi Arabian opponent. Sitting out a two-match ban, he came back to score two goals against Brazil in the final.
    Five years ago with Juventus, he head-butted an opponent in a Champions League match against Hamburger SV after being tackled from behind.
    The reaction to Sunday's outburst was mixed in France. President Jacques Chirac called Zidane "a genius of world football," and former Sports Minister Marie-George Buffet said Zidane's aggressive act was unforgivable for its effect on children watching the game.
    "This morning, Zinedine, what do we tell our children, and all those for whom you were the living role model for all times?" French sports daily L'Equipe wrote.
    Zidane, whose parents emigrated to France from Algeria, became a proud symbol of a multicultural France and is adored in Algeria.
    In the mountains where Zidane's parents grew up, Atmanne Chelouah carried off a life-size cardboard cutout of the player at "Cafe Zizou" after the red card.
    "We are very disappointed," Chelouah said. "He should have kept his cool."
    But lashing out is nothing new to Zidane, who grew up playing on concrete in an impoverished immigrant neighborhood of Marseille, where fouls and insults are met with instant retribution.
    Perhaps he could never shake off that you-or-me mentality.
    "You can take the man out of the rough neighborhood, but you can't take the rough neighborhood out of the man," striker Thierry Henry said Sunday.
    At this year's World Cup, where Zidane sat out one match for getting two yellow cards in the first round, he sent a message to his teammates. In a rare television interview, he said, "We die together."
    They were ready to go as far as they could for him, yet he punished them.
    "He'll carry that weight for a long time," France coach Raymond Domenech said of Zidane's latest red card.
    Zidane nearly won the match with a late header after giving France an early lead with a penalty, taking two steps forward to slowly chip the ball into the air while goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon dived to his right.
    It was his third goal of the tournament and sixth in the last 10 major tournament matches. He scored three at the 2004 European Championship.
    Zidane's teammates had all wanted to help him to one last trophy. Failing that, they refused to kick him when he was down.
    "For all that Zidane has done for the national team, you have to say 'Thank you and well done,"' said striker David Trezeguet, the only player to miss his penalty kick in the shootout.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast