Thread: College graduate looking for employment...whats the best way to get hired?

Default College graduate looking for employment...whats the best way to get hired?

Hey folks, Im new to the wonderful forum here. I have a general question concerning the newer college grads who have just entered or are trying to enter the work force.

I recently have found it very difficult to even get an appointment with a single temp agency in the city. Besides the usual routes such as monster.com or visiting/applying to a temp agency, what are other ways one can get an interview and perhaps employment quickly today? Preferably Im looking into business-related work such as marketing or management related work.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Agency-wise, I have dealt with Spherion here in Chicago. My understanding is that they have about 5 locations in Manhattan. Give them a try!

http://www.spherion.com

Good luck!

Default Use Connections

My advice is to think of any connections you, your parents, your parents friends or your parents friends friends might have in the industry you're interested in and work them as hard as you can. Don't be ashamed to call up people you've never meet ask for help. I know very few people who got their first job in the city without some sort of connections.

My advice to anyone looking for a job in NYC..

Make a list of at least 20 companies you would like to work for that have offices in NYC.

Go to each companies website and look at their career listings, to see if you they have anything that may be of interest to you.

See if you have any contacts in the companies that have positions of interest.

Research the company/industry as to what are some buzz words. Ad these buzz words to your resume and send a customized resume for EACH position you apply for. Make sure to save EACH RESUME with the job and date submited so when you get the call back you have the exact same resume ready to go.

Based on my interests here are some companies i think I would look into for marketing of the top of my head..

Unilever
    Deutsh
    ClearChannel Communications
    XM Radio
    NBC
    CBS
    SNY
    Kenneth Cole

Hope this helps.

I just want to thank everyone for their advice. Very intellegent people we have at this forum!

Let me know how everything turns out. I am looking as well for a job in NYC and just graduated with a Marketing degree. Good luck!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fs83 View Post
    Besides the usual routes such as monster.com or visiting/applying to a temp agency, what are other ways one can get an interview and perhaps employment quickly today?
    This has always worked for me: sleeping around.

Quote Originally Posted by fs83 View Post
    Hey folks, Im new to the wonderful forum here. I have a general question concerning the newer college grads who have just entered or are trying to enter the work force.

I recently have found it very difficult to even get an appointment with a single temp agency in the city. Besides the usual routes such as monster.com or visiting/applying to a temp agency, what are other ways one can get an interview and perhaps employment quickly today? Preferably Im looking into business-related work such as marketing or management related work.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    I would suggest using your alumni connections, if you can. Did you go a large university/college? Do they have a good career services office? Can they help find alumnis workign in your area of interest?

Also, go to the professional gatherings/events where you can sociaolize with people in your field and possibly find out about the jobs in the area. Try to set up an informational interview if you cannot get a real one. Some of the those informational interviews may lead to a real job interview in the future. Get some professional certifications and/or courses to improve your chances. If you cannot get any paid jobs, try to get an unpaid internship first.