Thread: Reasonably priced accommodation on LE Side/Williamsburg?

Lightbulb Reasonably priced accommodation on LE Side/Williamsburg?

We're looking to come back to NY for a week or two in early December (with luck I might even get a DJ gig too!) so I was wondering if you guys might have any recommendations for places to stay (our usual crash out place is no longer available).

I'll be with my girlf and we're looking to find somewhere to stay that's going to be cheap enough to leave us with a bit of cash for beer but not be so cheap'n'nasty that we'll be sharing our bed with a family of roaches or have to fend off psychos crawling through the walls.

We're not exactly looking at upmarket areas, so well worn places like Williamsburg/LE Side/Alphabet City are just dandy, although I realise they're yuppifying at a horrendous rate of knots right now.

Any suggestions folks? We're housetrained and polite, btw!

(See pics from my previous visits to NY here: http://www.urban75.org/newyork/index.html )

How much are you looking to spend? Neither area you mention has many hotels, and the few hotels that exist are rather expensive, minus the Howard Johnson on Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    How much are you looking to spend? Neither area you mention has many hotels, and the few hotels that exist are rather expensive, minus the Howard Johnson on Houston.
    Well, apart from the obvious answer - as little as possible - I'm trying to gauge what kind of prices I should be looking at.

I worked in NY for a couple of years and was provided with my own apartment the whole time (ah, those were the days!) and more recently we'vd been staying at a friend's somewhat rundown warehouse in Williamsburg, so we've never had to pay.

That leaves me out of touch with what's a 'good' price for the area!

How do you feel about shared bathrooms?

I think you'd find much better deals uptown, if you're willing to stay there. Downtown prices are outrageous, considering that people usually work under the belief that it's cheaper there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    How do you feel about shared bathrooms?

I think you'd find much better deals uptown, if you're willing to stay there. Downtown prices are outrageous, considering that people usually work under the belief that it's cheaper there.
    I've no problem with sharing bathrooms but I'd better check with my girlfriend on that one

I really don't fancy schleping uptown as I'll be spending most of my time in the Lower East Side/East Village area (although not as much time as I like since the tragic demise of the fabulous Raven Bar on 194 Ave A @ East 12th Street)...

For a hotel on the LES, you're going to be looking at a minimum of $200 a night. There aren't any hostels in the area, but you will find some in Chelsea/Murray Hill:

http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html

People pay a high price to pretend they're slumming it.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&hs=...ct=result&cd=2

Try this site... It is a hostel called Whitehouse Hotel, on 340 Bowery... I think it is very reasonable but I don't personally know whether the accomodations are private or shared..
    Last edited by milleniumcab; October 9th, 2006 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&hs=...ct=result&cd=2

Try this site... It is a hostel called Whitehouse Hotel, on 340 Bowery... I think it is very reasonable but I don't personally know whether the accomodations are private or shared..
    Eeek! The price is right but there's no roof to the bedrooms!

And there's tales of bedbugs and other undesirables related to the place.

The girlf most definitely says 'no' to this one, but thanks anyway.

It's not in the LES and isn't fashionably shabby, but Incentra Village House fits within your budget: http://www.iloveinns.com/innlink.php...+York&state=NY

Forum Veteran

I don't believe there are any hotels in Williamsburg, but you might find an apt for a daily rate on craigslist vacation rentals.

I don't blame you for not liking that one..BUt give Schadenfrau's site (for hostels) a shot, there are many good ones near downtown..some with private room accomodations with shared bathrooms...here it is again..

http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html

Frankly, if you guys are going to be so particular about what you're looking for, you've got to be willing to pay a bit more, or be open to staying in a neighborhood with less hipster cache. For $35 a night, you're going to have to deal with certain "undesirables" related to the place.