Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 59 story tower - 250 East 57th St @ 2nd Ave - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default 59 stories at 57th & 2nd

The news about the elementary school closing was garnered from the wife of a coop board director who lives on that block. As can be expected this project is major topic of discussion among the immediate locals. The neighborhood coop boards had hired an attorney the fight the height of the project but to no avail. The prospect of the developer requesting a zoning change to build a commercial building would create an even larger groundswell of opposition. The expansion of the midtown office sector to 2nd Ave would be a major change that could open Pandora's Box. Right now, according to a recent report from The Cooperator, midtown east residential condo development leads the city in price per sq. ft. and is second in the number of total sales. To quote directly, "An unusually robust December finished up the fourth quarter of 2006 with 525 sales. along with a strong November [ 601] and October [621], this final quarter of 2272 sales capped the year of a record 7285 sales." Coop sales were not listed but according to a broker friend at Douglas Elliman coop prices city wide are up 6% for the last quarter of 2006. Nevertheless, this drab block of E 57th Street continues to evolve. What is going to replace the now vacant 19th century building on the NE corner of 57th and 3rd?

As to the Landmark High School on W. 58th St. I do not know. The only item mentioned in a recent article about development of city school sites was PS 9 located at 84th and Columbus Ave. Since the city has opened numerous new small high schools throughout the five boroughs I would imagine that many are in rented space. Since they lack the traditional facilities of a gym and cafeteria they could relocate with relative ease to another sub- standard office building.

Quote Originally Posted by pagh View Post
    The news about the elementary school closing was garnered from the wife of a coop board director who lives on that block. As can be expected this project is major topic of discussion among the immediate locals. The neighborhood coop boards had hired an attorney the fight the height of the project but to no avail. The prospect of the developer requesting a zoning change to build a commercial building would create an even larger groundswell of opposition. The expansion of the midtown office sector to 2nd Ave would be a major change that could open Pandora's Box. Right now, according to a recent report from The Cooperator, midtown east residential condo development leads the city in price per sq. ft. and is second in the number of total sales. To quote directly, "An unusually robust December finished up the fourth quarter of 2006 with 525 sales. along with a strong November [ 601] and October [621], this final quarter of 2272 sales capped the year of a record 7285 sales." Coop sales were not listed but according to a broker friend at Douglas Elliman coop prices city wide are up 6% for the last quarter of 2006. Nevertheless, this drab block of E 57th Street continues to evolve. What is going to replace the now vacant 19th century building on the NE corner of 57th and 3rd?

As to the Landmark High School on W. 58th St. I do not know. The only item mentioned in a recent article about development of city school sites was PS 9 located at 84th and Columbus Ave. Since the city has opened numerous new small high schools throughout the five boroughs I would imagine that many are in rented space. Since they lack the traditional facilities of a gym and cafeteria they could relocate with relative ease to another sub- standard office building.

Thanks. This building is one of the most horrific eyesores in midtown. It takes serious chutzpah to oppose anything that will replace this dump.

What a POS! Bring on the demolition crews! I'd even take a Macklowe or Kondylis special over this thing.

It'll be nice when it happens. Hopefully soon. It's a true win-win for everyone: school gets new facilities, area gets office space and apartments as well as retail and a true streetwall.

Perfect site for a tower that size. It's likely going to turn out great, even as an infill glass parallelogram. That immediate area's got a good number of landmark buildings (Citicorp, Lipstick, Bloomberg, etc), so one more background tower wouldn't dull things down a whole lot. However, I have a feeling that this project will be quite interesting on street level, or at least useful to the community, being the site of a school.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    or at least useful to the community,
    ^ Not if you asked them. They're suing to try to downsize this project.

Quote Originally Posted by pagh View Post
    The neighborhood coop boards had hired an attorney the fight the height of the project but to no avail.
    That seems to be confirmed awhile back on Curbed from a tipster there:

I'm not alone in my P.O.'d ness. Here's what I've heard recently: 4 or 5 coop boards in the neighborhood have banded together to hire a law firm to fight the enormousness of this planned condo tower.
    Not sure if they're successful or not though.

With the office market so tight it would be nice to see at least a portion of this project devoted to office space. Condos can be built anywhere but this would be a good site for office development.

Hopefully this gets underway soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Curbed from a tipster there:
    4 or 5 coop boards in the neighborhood have banded together to hire a law firm to fight the enormousness of this planned condo tower.
    Only in NY. Residents in most places would be elated to see this disgusting junk go!

I don't really see what the legal grounds are for the local coop boards to sue over this project. I would indeed like this project to turn out with a significant amount of office space and hopefully some good retail tenants. Mixed use would be great for that block.

I wonder if the schools will re-open on this site in Sept. That sadly seems to be the case. They're such eyesores, so I was hoping that they'd close in June.

Forum Veteran

Worldwide is going ahead with a residential tower here. They developed the tower on i believe 50th and second as well, something with an Italian name

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    Worldwide is going ahead with a residential tower here. They developed the tower on i believe 50th and second as well, something with an Italian name
    But do you know if the schools will reopen on this site in Sept. or will they reopen elsewhere? If they reopen here in Sept., demolition of this massive eyesore won't occur until at least the summer of 2008.

Thumbs up

Now this is a true wrecking ball's best friend. I'm feeling better already.

First quarter of 08 is the timetable mentioned in the original article. It also says adding an office component would require lengthy review, so it makes sense Worldwide is sticking with residential.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast