Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 59 story tower - 250 East 57th St @ 2nd Ave - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

In the Photo Journal today...

Tectonic

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    We don't have any mods with sufficient access to change thread titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    That's nuts. What a way to run a forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    With 92 active members at this point it sure seems to have gone that way. Its a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    And out of those 92 less than a dozen live in New York City.
    IMO part of the reason for lack of activity in these threads is how the recent NYC architecture development is just duller than a river rock..... Conversely to when the first iterations of what was to be built in WTC and other awesome potential developments that are now defunct (Calatrava's townhouses at the seaport, the mystery of Gerhy's Beekman tower, Roger's Silvercup towers, others:http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20101 ) really galvanized me to turn this into a worthwhile hobby/interest. We are now stuck lamenting and cussing out projects that are no longer buildings but the constructions monstrosities that have minimal curb appeal and much more often than not ZILCH skyline appeal. The recent events at the WTC site have been cathartic in that I no longer find it worth the while to muster up any enthusiasm anymore; even waiting and seeing will results in a dismay as to all what is left after all the value engineering is done.

We have a couple of promising ones (such as 111 W57, the west side pyramid, Torre Verre, 56 Leonard) but they get negated by being outnumbered by cheap massing projects such as the 432 Park or anything Klondys or Kauffman builds which is just bizarre and fugly....

Even something like this is ok (below), but certainly does not galvanize any genuine enthusiasm.... For we are truly in the doldrums of NYC development; and I think the lack of activity at WNY reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post

Last edited by TREPYE; June 30th, 2015 at 11:14 AM.

Or, for the Occam's Razor explanation, people on this forum just don't care. The activity on the NYC threads over at the Skyscraperpage forum is overwhelming. And they're under the oppressive thumb of absolutely awful moderating. I mean, I'd be taking and posting photos of all kinds of stuff, but happen to no longer be in NYC.

Absolutely awful moderating is probably better than no moderating at all, which is what we have here at WNY.

When we lost lofter we lost the heart of this forum. His even-handedness, friendliness, and kindness set a tone for WNY that I think has been lost. Things were definitely on the decline before that, but that was the coup de grace.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Or, for the Occam's Razor explanation, people on this forum just don't care. The activity on the NYC threads over at the Skyscraperpage forum is overwhelming. And they're under the oppressive thumb of absolutely awful moderating. I mean, I'd be taking and posting photos of all kinds of stuff, but happen to no longer be in NYC.
    The thing with skyscraperpage is is that there is no sophistication, in fact you don't even need to show them a rendering of any NYC tower, just tell them the height and if it is taller than 850 ft they rave and go gaga over it as if it was the second coming of the Chrysler Building.... Anytime I go there to peek at some renderings the commentary is so superfluous and shallow I feel like I am reading a verbatim from an elementary school cafeteria.

When it comes to following NYC architecture WNY and SSP are two completely different iterations of the same thing.

Note that the reason everyone over there is going gaga is because anything negative, or even critical (as in anything involving an actual architecture critique, whether positive or negative) is instantly deleted by mods. Just comparing two buildings will be labeled as off topic and removed, because that other building has its own thread - talk about it there. It is hilariously bad on many levels. I used to contribute extensively over there, but happily stopped years ago.

Is that a problem with SSP or with both SSP and SSC?

They delete negative comments?

I must admit to very rarely looking at SSC (I am subscribed to the Rochester development thread, since it is effectively the only one on the whole internet), so I don't know so much about how things shake out over there. SSP has incredibly heavy handed moderation. It's hard to give specific examples, since the deleted posts are rather gone (by definition). If you were to go through the moderators' posts, though, it's not hard to spot a number of perfectly good conversations being cut off.

Please forgive me if this question causes anybody here pain. I haven't been a regular here for quite some time. Why is lofter no longer posting?

That's the $50,000,000 question... seems like he just evaporated?!
    (we all still hope he is ok.)

Thanks for the reply, Scumonkey. That doesn't sound good. I felt his presence here brought an air of humility to this forum. The anonymity of the internet sure is a double edged sword. Had no one here made a personal connection with him at a meet-up?

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Note that the reason everyone over there is going gaga is because anything negative, or even critical (as in anything involving an actual architecture critique, whether positive or negative) is instantly deleted by mods. Just comparing two buildings will be labeled as off topic and removed, because that other building has its own thread - talk about it there. It is hilariously bad on many levels. I used to contribute extensively over there, but happily stopped years ago.
    SSP doesn't delete negative comments; there are tons of negative comments. SSP deletes off-topic comments. If the posting has nothing to do with the thread, it will probably be deleted.

And the reason WNY is so slow is because it shifted from a real estate-oriented site with diverse viewpoints to a mostly snarky NIMBY architecture/design forum. You have the greatest NYC boom since the 1920's (both in terms of volume and quality), but on WNY it's opposite-land, and there's nothing being built, of note, or otherwise.

I don't know if I would call many of these buildings "quality," but then again I'm not a New Yorker.