Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 59 story tower - 250 East 57th St @ 2nd Ave - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Thanks. I hope that time table is accurate. I used to take the 57 and 31 buses a lot and always cringed when I went past this huge, filthy eyesore.

While I was initially disappointed at the prospect of this project not containing any office space, this decision might guarantee us a supertall residential tower on this site.

I bet it will be minimum 700 and push 800, and on 2nd ave it will soar in the skyline.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    But do you know if the schools will reopen on this site in Sept. or will they reopen elsewhere? If they reopen here in Sept., demolition of this massive eyesore won't occur until at least the summer of 2008.
    As of today, the school will not open. Final contracts to build the new school for the SCA by WWG is not finalized however

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by macreator View Post
    While I was initially disappointed at the prospect of this project not containing any office space, this decision might guarantee us a supertall residential tower on this site.
    Core Midtown office district stops at Third Ave, makes no sense to put office here

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    As of today, the school will not open. Final contracts to build the new school for the SCA by WWG is not finalized however
    That's good news. Where did you hear it?

I looked on the school's website to search for news re: a new location, and it doesn't say anything. Also, there seems to be some sort of camp/daycare program going on at the school at the moment.

Default 57th side vs 2nd ave side

do any of you know which side the Res Tower will be on, the 57th street side or the 2nd ave side. and if it's on the corner, which side will the school be on.

i thought the schools playground will divide the two buildings.

anyone know?

thanks,
    east57th

Quote Originally Posted by East57th View Post
    do any of you know which side the Res Tower will be on, the 57th street side or the 2nd ave side. and if it's on the corner, which side will the school be on.

i thought the schools playground will divide the two buildings.

anyone know?

thanks,
    east57th
    Aren't these schools still in session? I hoped that they would not have reopened and demo on these horrible eyesores would have started. They make the area look like a real dump.

Quote Originally Posted by East57th View Post
    From an early rendering, it appears that the 60 story tower element of the project will be on the 1st Avenue side of the site with the school sitting midblock on 57th street at the west side of the site.

The school and the tower would indeed be separated by the schoolyard, but keep in mind that all of these elements of the project will be sitting above a two story retail podium (i.e. the schoolyard will not be at groundlevel but instead will be at what would be the 3rd floor of the project.

I hope this explanation helps. I believe the early rendering still exists on the first page of this thread.

Here is what the new school might look like. (?)

P.S. 59

Client:
    New York City School Construction Authority

Architect:
    Ehrankrantz, Eckstut and Kuhn

This project involves the mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection systems design for the conversion of a former hospital residence building into an eight-story elementary school facility totaling approximately 45,000 SF. The building will have six floors with classrooms and two floors for mechanical equipment and storage and will meet the latest SCA standards for green schools.

http://www.goldmancopeland.com/proje...rorder&id=1578

Are the elementary and high schools on that site in session?

Question re the art and design site

thanks for the rendering, but don't forget that there is also to be a 1600 seat high school to be built along with the elementary school. I thought that these the two schools were to close last June but any word of this development seems to be hush-hush, mush-mush. I have tried to ask Lois Weiss and Steve Cuzzo via e-mail but they do not know either.

There's a rendering of this tower in the Dec. 15th, edition of the NYT.

Here it is ...

NY TIMES

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
    GLASSY FUTURE A condo-rental tower is planned above two East 57th Street schools.

From the TIMES article:
    The high-rise at 250 East 57th Street, as designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, is an angular 59-story glass tower over a retail base. Its offering plan still requires state approval.

But David Lowenfeld, a principal with World-Wide Group, its Manhattan-based developer, envisions a total of 320 units, from studios to three-bedrooms. Sixty percent will be condos, priced at $1,500 a square foot, he said.

The 1.5-acre site now houses P.S. 59 and the High School of Art and Design, which faces Second Avenue. For the 2011 school year, the schools will have roomier new quarters. The elementary will triple in size, and the high school will grow 40 percent, Mr. Smarr said.

First, though, World-Wide Group must build P.S. 59 a temporary facility; It is currently under construction on East 63rd Street.

But what about noise from P.S. 59’s future rooftop playground? “This is the middle of New York,” Mr. Lowenfeld said. “People are used to noise.”

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast