Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 59 story tower - 250 East 57th St @ 2nd Ave - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Looks interesting albeit structurally impossible, I need to see other angles.

It does look to be rather thin waisted

It's certainly interesting but it does indeed appear to be structurally unsound. Bad rendering?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Yes!!

Nevermind how structurally sound it is, I just want it to get built. C'mon pleeeeeeeeaase . . .

Id imagine the top would be some kind triangular shape, not coming to a impossible thin strip like the render suggests.

This is F...ING AWESOME! Thanks for posting that, Lofter. The photo in the Times is so tiny. Between this project and Worldwide Plaza on 8th, I have a lot of respect for these guys. Like Zeckendorf, Durst, and Silversterstein, they actually take pride in what they build!

Let's hope this won't get NIMBY-fied although I have a feeling that anything nice proposed in this city will always have that looming

overhead.

SOM produced a non-box? Gotta check tomorrow that the sky isnt green and grass isnt blue.

The Dude Abides

So, I'm guessing this would be around 600 feet tall? Not bad, for that area.

I really like the design, and with those who've suggested it, I agree: the rendering is very misleading. Look at the bottom half of the building. If you look at just the north-facing side (somewhat more light-colored) it looks much thinner, but then you notice the darker-colored segment facing west. The top of the building's north face, which looks like an hourglass, probably has more bulk also on that western side, but it's hidden by the angle.

The cuts sort of remind me of BofA, but still...well done by SOM!

^ Actually, being that this is an SOM(NY) product, those cuts are probably borrowed from the Freedom Tower.

SOM has many nice projects. They seem to produce crap only when cheap developers like Zuckerman direct them to. SOM's website has some awesome buildings that they've recently designed.

Even in NY, they're responsible for two great buildings in recent years: the TWT and Bear Stearns. For that matter, 7WT is decent.

Default is it definitely a go?

Why does the state need to green light the project - are they trying to verify the school being built is adequate? What's the hold up.

By the way, even more than the architecture - the idea of this is fabulous to me. I'd much rather give developers additional air rights to improve education in the city instead of to produce affordable housing. NYC children deserve a chance to go to good, modern schools.

The other nice thing about this project is that the school it will replace is a filthy, disgusting, hideous eyesore. I would happily take a Macklowe/Zuckerman box over the horrible building that's there now.

P.S.: I'd love to see the white POS on the left side of the photo go ASAP.

Does anyone know if it's a coop or a rent-regulated rental?

Last edited by londonlawyer; December 15th, 2007 at 10:59 PM.

I'd bet you some of the folks in that white POS are the ones that are complaining that this tower is too tall.

I totally agree with you.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast