Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 59 story tower - 250 East 57th St @ 2nd Ave - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

I agree. I lived on York for years, and the East Side (east of Third) is a wretched dump.

Ouch, sounds like a description that befits the West Side.

I think that the West side is beautiful. It has beautiful, old buildings, whereas the East Side has scores of filthy, white brick buildings and tenements that have been stripped of their ornamentation.

How is this building supported at that wedge connection? How are elevators, stairway shafts and service risers going through it? Where is the core? How is this feasible?

C'mon guys, let's not be like sheep and praise something that looks blatantly impossible to build until we can analyze all the angles. We need more views of this building.

Agreed.

SOM may usually disappoint but they are not retards its obvious the structure works we just havent seen its true shape. I believe the 'wedge' is more likely a triangle in plan. The wedge shape is an optical illusion due to the angle its viewed from.

^ Exactly, basically its just an illusion. We haven't seen all the angles/sides.

The building is triangular shaped and you're looking at the pointy angle in the renders. Foster's kissing towers had much the same optical illusion from certain angles.

Default Non-Conservative design on east side?

I thought the east side was supposed to be more conservative while the west side is more exuberant and lively. Is somone maybe trying to start a new trend?

As per the school's website, www.ps59.net, the demise of this disgusting building is near, and this spectacular gem will start to rise!!!

From your link LL, there's a pic of the site before the hideous school was built.

1920's

I've seen photos of the old school. It's quite sad.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Meanwhile, the High School of Art and Design's website, the other school on the site, does not say anything about closing.

Maybe the site will be built in stages. I thought I read something about that.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I don't think they're building in stages while students are still going into the building on the site.

I think you misread the part where they said they would build the project in two stages, the schools (stage 1) and then the residential portion (stage 2):

Quote Originally Posted by cityrealty.com View Post
    The fist phase is expected to take three years and will involve the construction of the two new schools and during this phase PS 59 which is known as the Beekman Hill International School will be relocated to a new school facility in the boundaries of the existing school district. The second phase involves the mixed-use tower in which 20 percent of the apartments available for rent will be “affordable.”

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast