Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago

Default Chicago

I love this city! I'm going to go to college there and maybe stay there when I finish college. Here's some pics of Chi-town from city-data and ssc.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Chicago%20Skyline[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Chicago%20Fountain[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Chicago%20at%20night[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Chicago[/IMG]

Chicago is not a bad city. Beautiful newer architecture. It lacks the energy, grandiosity, intellectual vibrancy though that is New York. Take a stroll down Michigan Avenue roughly any afternoon. Lot's of suburban types giving the feeling of an outside mall. I often find the feeling of downtown Chicago to be very planned and almost suburban feeling in itself.
    That being said, it certainly is less expensive to live there and you can get a great apartment in a highrise with doorman, nice views, on the lake for under $800 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyny View Post
    Chicago is not a bad city...Take a stroll down Michigan Avenue roughly any afternoon. Lot's of suburban types giving the feeling of an outside mall.....

Been to SoHo during the weekend lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Been to SoHo during the weekend lately?
    Agreed. Lot's of tourists in Soho on weekends but hardly the white suburban types you get on Michigan Avenue pushing stollers on a Saturday.

North Michigan Avenue represents Chicago to you?

Michigan Avenue represents Chicago's premier shopping district as much as Fifth Avenue/Madison Avenue represents New York's.
    Michigan Avenue is not a part of Chicago that I like but most would agree it is pretty much the core of the city and is where most would go when visiting the city hence the reason that...yes, it very much represents Chicago.
    I'm much more partial to Rivernorth, Southport, Belmont, etc....but those areas are nothing when compared with to eclectic neighborhoods in Manhattan and even outer boroughs which brings me back to my original point. Chicago is nice but it is NOT New York!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyny
    Michigan Avenue represents Chicago's premier shopping district as much as Fifth Avenue/Madison Avenue represents New York's.
    Michigan Avenue is not a part of Chicago that I like but most would agree it is pretty much the core of the city and is where most would go when visiting the city hence the reason that...yes, it very much represents Chicago.
    I'm much more partial to Rivernorth, Southport, Belmont, etc....but those areas are nothing when compared with to eclectic neighborhoods in Manhattan and even outer boroughs which brings me back to my original point. Chicago is nice but it is NOT New York!
    I don't think Chicago is trying to be the next NYC. I know I have friends who live in other cities, and they get irked when New Yorkers say "Your city isn't New York" or most of all "Your city is nothing compaired to mine". I think this is a reason why many people in other cities, look down on New Yorkers. I think we should take Chicago as it is. It may not have the skyline, or urban feel as NYC, but that what makes Chicago, Chicago. It is the capitol of the Midwest, and no doubt it is the "second city" in America. I like Chicago. I've never been there, but I hear great things about the city.

The Dude Abides

Don't worry, Omega. I don't think there's any shortage of Chicagoans who think of their city as the best, and look down at NY as nothing more than a dirty, old haven for snobs. It's not like you can blame them, though. The very foundations of the city were built up by so-called "boosters" who first solidified its position as the undisputed capital of the new West, and then vied to overtake its only remaining rival - New York.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Don't worry, Omega. I don't think there's any shortage of Chicagoans who think of their city as the best, and look down at NY as nothing more than a dirty, old haven for snobs. It's not like you can blame them, though. The very foundations of the city were built up by so-called "boosters" who first solidified its position as the undisputed capital of the new West, and then vied to overtake its only remaining rival - New York.
    True, Piano. Chicago and NYC have a long, rival history. I guess that comes with the territory when you have world class cities going at each other. I've personally found some great Chicago pictures on Wikipedia. Here are two that I really like from user JeremyA:

I was just at that L stop 2 wks. ago and took a photo. If I can figure out how to post it I will. Mine is taken from a lower angle though. Nice shots.

I've never really seen Chicago being such a rival with New York. The two cities have really very little in common. Rivalry is more between New York and LA. Chicago holds it's own as the midwest's undisputed Capital and is often referred to even by the locals as the 3rd coast.

The Dude Abides

That's a very recent view, Jeffrey. Up until about World War 2, Los Angeles didn't matter all that much. Trust me on this one: once Chicago cemented its role as the capital of the West, it desperately wanted to become the economic and cultural center of the entire nation.

Yes I know but I was more referring to the current day.
    Los Angeles has really only recently become what it is albeit more of an entertainment capital than cultural. It wasn't that long ago that they were 3rd largest in population.
    New York on the other hand has always been a cultural and entertainment world class city and for me, although I may be biast, having been around there is nothing like New York!

We just visited Chicago again. We got there Thursday and stayed until last night. It was freeeeezing. I don't think I'm going to move there after experiencing their windy and cold weather. NYC's cold, but the wind's not as bad. God, I really thought I was going to freeze to death. I've decided to stay home in NY! I'd have too hard of a time leaving NY anyway.

^It really wasn't that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast