Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Boulevard : Street Reclamation - Expanded Pedestrian Areas

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Part of the problem of raising the curb is emergency vehicles still need to access these areas. I'm sure they will figure something out.

Water runoff.

Pedestrian-mall plan expanding

By MATT WILLIAMS and TOM NAMAKO

Motorists, beware -- there are more pedestrian plazas on the way.

City officials, pleased with the success of the traffic ban in Times and Herald squares, yesterday asked community groups to submit smaller-scale ideas to expand the program around the city.

The Department of Transportation is asking nonprofits to focus on neighborhoods such as Murray Hill and the Upper East Side, as well as Astoria, Queens, and Borough Park, Brooklyn.

The plaza have been criticized for taking space from motorists in an already-gridlocked city and handing it over to pedestrians.

"A plaza is considered to be an area located fully in the right of way -- streets and sidewalks -- which may vary in size and shape," according to the department's guidelines.

But snarling traffic is a big no-no, and department officials said they will "not pursue applications that would produce significant adverse impacts on traffic," the guidelines say.

"Cutting off more streets would be annoying for many drivers, I'm sure. I think New York is already suffering from gridlock bad enough," said Mikayla Gilbert, 32, who was sitting in a pedestrian plaza in the Meatpacking District.

But other pedestrians said drivers have a knack for getting around obstacles.

"There's plenty of other streets around that the cars can get through if they decide to close them off," said Michael Lido, 24.

"It's a cool little area around here," he said about the plaza at Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District, "and I think it will definitely boost its vibe if they make more of them."

It's the third time the agency has called for the suggestions. They approved 22 applications in "round one," in 2008.

Nonprofits have until June 30 to propose plaza designs. If a plaza is approved and built, the community group has to maintain it.

Plazas accepted from this round will likely be under construction by July 2012.

The department will likely get a slew of applications for the Lincoln Center area, where groups are mulling two projects, said Councilwoman Gale Brewer.

One would expand Dante Park, which is right next to the center, and another would improve the open space near Martin Luther King HS at West 66th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.

"Anyplace people can sit and talk is a good thing," Brewer said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz0kPNiruK7

This is good news.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up ^

Double plus good!

Banned Member

And it is time to pedestrianize Mulberry Street.

I'm learning how to shoot and edit videos and my first project is this five-minute piece about the pedestrianization of Times Square.
    I hope you guys like it! I've been reading a lot of things on this forum but this my first time posting. Here is the link.
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WillBradford...sSquare239.mov

Nice job, Will. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Ablarc. Your input means a lot to me! For those interested in watching my video, if it's stopping at points please pause it and allow it to buffer for smoother playback.

You really went for high def, Will; so that might have caused folks with medium-speed internet service to lose patience.

You might want to try for something between your great hi-def and what you might find on ABC or Reuters.

FYI to VirtualMuse. I have internet service via cable. I patiently waited for download, but afterwards it just didn't have the horses to play. If you can create a more user-friendly version, please let us know.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Since I'm new to video encoding, I'm still trying to figure out which format is best for uploading videos to the web. I also uploaded the video to Current TV in a flash format which might work better. Here is the link http://current.com/entertainment/mus...mes-square.htm

Well, Will, you got the download-speed totally aced, but it wouldn't surprise me if folks were willing to wait just a tad longer for a smidgen of the hi-def sharpness you had before.

The middle road ...