Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Boulevard : Street Reclamation - Expanded Pedestrian Areas

Interesting to see how this pans out.

Less road?........

But if they have to do it anywhere, it is TS... I certainly understand... I'll live with it...Altough it would be a much easier to live with if they eliminate the pedi-cabs and the spider-bikes along with the bike lanes....

Eliminate the bike lanes?! Are you serious? This city is absolutely dreadful when it comes to bike friendlyness. I dream of a Manhattan where a child can safely bike just about anywhere on the island. I want dedicated and seperated bike lanes, secure bike parking lots and an overall increase in respect for bikes by drivers (and vice versa).

The new plan does not go nearly far enough. Either Broadway or Seventh Avenue should be pedestrianized in its entirety at Times Square. There is no reason for TWO downtown avenues to be running through TS.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    There is no reason for TWO downtown avenues to be running through TS.
    Keep from having traffic jams.

Forum Veteran

You'd have to tear the buildings down and build an interstate to avoid traffic jams. Ideally, the minority of people getting around by car should get a slice of road proportional to their numbers.

I once saw a proposal to make Broadway fully pedestrian from Columbus Circle all the way down to MSG at 34th Street. I think if you added a light rail/trolley, it might actually work. Downtown car traffic could take 7th Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    You'd have to tear the buildings down and build an interstate to avoid traffic jams.
    They did just that most places in the U.S. and it didn't eliminate traffic jams. But it did eliminate the cities.

Ideally, the minority of people getting around by car should get a slice of road proportional to their numbers.
    Or possibly better still, none at all.

It's the cabs, delivery trucks and emergency vehicles you do need to accommodate and keep from getting stuck in traffic; they're an indispensable part of the city's infrastructure, and they represent the lion's share of Manhattan traffic anyway. It wouldn't bother me in the least if private cars were banned in Manhattan --or at least a congestion charge instituted.

It doesn't advance discussion to set up straw men and knock them down. The interstate idea was purely yours, and entirely rhetorical. No one but you has advocated it, and they don't prevent traffic jams. Haven't you noticed?

I once saw a proposal to make Broadway fully pedestrian from Columbus Circle all the way down to MSG at 34th Street. I think if you added a light rail/trolley, it might actually work. Downtown car traffic could take 7th Avenue.
    And there's a proposal making the rounds to do that on 42nd Street.

The new plan does not go nearly far enough. Either Broadway or Seventh Avenue should be pedestrianized in its entirety at Times Square. There is no reason for TWO downtown avenues to be running through TS.
    Give it a chance; I think the present proposal strikes a judicious balance. You need cabs, delivery trucks, emergency vehicles and even those double-decker tourbuses --maybe even those rubbernecking out-of-staters cruising in their cars. Eliminating the connection between 7th Avenue and Broadway may be all the adjustment traffic patterns need or can tolerate. It allows substantial widening of the sidewalk --which after all was the original impetus for reconfiguring the square.

Quote Originally Posted by gradvmedusa View Post
    Eliminate the bike lanes?! Are you serious? This city is absolutely dreadful when it comes to bike friendlyness. I dream of a Manhattan where a child can safely bike just about anywhere on the island. I want dedicated and seperated bike lanes, secure bike parking lots and an overall increase in respect for bikes by drivers (and vice versa).
    Hey, it's not my idea to eliminate the bike lanes in TS. The city came up with that one. Read the article carefully... ...

Which bike riders you want respect for?..Messengers?..Pedi cabs?..Recreatioanl riders in CP?...How about them respecting the rules of the road?..Little things like stopping for red lights..Not weaving in and out of the traffic..Belive it or not, staying within the speed limit(30 mph)...

By the way both of my kids grew up in the city..They did not ride their bikes in the streets..We have Central park for that..Anyone riding a bike for recreational purposes does not have to ride in TS..We have proper bike lanes for that purpose.. You can ride from lets say GWB to all the way to Battery Park..Is that not enough?..Why would you want your kids to ride their bikes in the middle of the city?.. That one I don't understand..
    So do not come to me with that nonsense about having bike lanes in the middle of the city for recreational riding...NYC is a little too busy for that..

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You tell 'em, millenium.

What about biking for commuters?

NYC could be much more forward-looking in that direction -- although I've sworn off of it due to the number of times that suddenly-opening car doors have nearly taken me out.

ergo: I'm forced to stick with separate "designated" bike paths (rather than the ones that are merely painted on the avenues) that don't come into proximity with cars.

I bladed for a while in NYC to get from A to B. The same problems arise all over the place. Yuo have bike lanes, but the damn DHL or Fed Ex truck wil be parked there. OR you get a cab to pull up right in front of you and cut you off OR they are sitting there when someone in the back seat does not check before flinging the door open.

The thing is, I agree that messengers, delivery people and pedicabs are a nuisance, but at least TWO of them are needed in NYC (I still see little need for those slow moving, space hogging, rule ignoring pedi-cabs). The only thing is, they should be forced to follow the rules like everyone else (red lights, stop signs, NO RIDING ON THE SIDEWALK, etc etc).

I also think they should impliment a congestion charge and try to do things like close off chinatown from ANY vehicular traffic during buisness hours (It would help with refuse collection, street cleaning, and the HEAVY pedestrian traffic). I believe areas like TS should have mass transit and other transportation available, but other things should not be given dominance over pedestrian travel. When you have intersections that are SO busy that when the light is red you cannot walk around them without going out into traffic it is time to look at a way to accomodate it.

In a city like this, mass transit and pedestrian travel should be top dogs when it comes to any transportation initiatives.

The city can try all they want but unless they eliminate some of the cars coming in, the situation will not improve much for anybody..
    Last edited by milleniumcab; October 17th, 2006 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast