Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Boulevard : Street Reclamation - Expanded Pedestrian Areas

When you have intersections that are SO busy that when the light is red you cannot walk around them without going out into traffic it is time to look at a way to accomodate it.
    yeah...Chinatown really could use less cars. Is there some way to at least reduce the lanes on Canal and widen the sidewalks?

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    yeah...Chinatown really could use less cars. Is there some way to at least reduce the lanes on Canal and widen the sidewalks?
    Canal Street connects to Manhattan Bridge on the east side and Holland Tunnel on the west side...How is that possible?....

You prevent parking on both sides (which I think they do), you provide signals with turn lanes, and yuo make it so less cars travel on it!!

I think that area would be great if it was penned off. Anyone who has driven through CT (try Mott street, if you want) knows that that area is not car-friendly, especially with all the shops set up on the sidewalk and people parking anywhere they can fit.

I think more parking has to be made available somewhere, and at affordable costs for RESIDENTS AND OWNERS IN THE AREA and then just pen the streets off between 7am and 10pm. Deliveries can be made at night, and street cleaning and garbage collection could also be done then, but no all-night parking allowed.

When they had "China fest" or whatever it was there and they had the streets clear, it was like a giant pedestrian mall! It was so much nicer! And I think, so long as you allowed the shop owners to set up to the curb (NO FURTHER) they would not have as much of a problem with the no-parking rules....

Congestion pricing anyone?

I'm all for it -- it could be the best thing to happen to NYC since the subway.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post

How is that possible?....
    Get rid of the "one way" fare on the Verrazzano Bridge

What would Staten Islanders have to say to that?...I wonder Lofter1...SIE would probably become one of the biggest parking lots in the States...

Congestion charge is a must... Also HOV 2 requirement between 6 and 10 am will help...They will have to do it in the near future..

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post

SIE would probably become one of the biggest parking lots in the States...
    So why shouldn't Staten Islanders join in the fun that those of us who live in SoHo / Chinatown get to experience???

I guess they should...

I actually like the Times Square crowds, they are more of a local landmark than any skyscraper in the area, but sometimes it does get on your nerves. And all the crowds around the area in December are a sight to behold (but not experience).

the crowds never bother me too much.
    Now the guys trying to get me on a tour bus, tell me about the best improv ever, or convert me to scientology.....

Default Broadway Boulevard

Improved bike lane, new pedestrian spaces on Broadway between Times Square and Herald Square.

Broadway Boulevard

Banned Member

This is the area I talked about where crowds standing the middle of the bike lane waiting for the light. Best bike lanes in the city are on 9th Ave south of 23rd.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast