Thread: need your honest opinion (from us citizens)!

Default need your honest opinion (from us citizens)!

so here we go;
    if a person comes to ny,as a tourist(with just a tourist visa)and decide to stay illegaly in the city-what would happen? i mean as far as job,apartmant,schooling,i mean anything at all? what kind of life can she/he expect? if any at all.
    a lots of us told her already that this isn't very good idea,but i want your honest opinion..because most of you are from either ny or at least us citizens.
    the problem is,you give them an advice that this is not good idea at all,but some are so determined to do it anyway, that they will start argue with you about it.
    so please people,all of you us citizens and new yorkers-give me your honest opinion about that.some real facts on" living ilegally" in a foreign country,in this case-usa,to be exact,state of ny.the obstacles,problems,name it...

Living illegally is not something I, or anyone in their right mind would recommend.

You've gotten a lot of replies on the other thread: Job search

She might want to read THIS :

BOND PROCEEDING OF UNDOCUMENTED ALIENS SEEKING TO ENTER
    THE UNITED STATES ILLEGALLY

And THIS :

Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants

This comprehensive guide for new permanent residents contains practical information to help immigrants settle into everyday life in the United States, as well as basic civics information that provides an overview of the U.S. system of government.

thanks.the first one...don't think she'll understand it much yet.the language problem.but she may.

Yeah -- those LEGALITIES can really trip you up if you don't know the language

Um, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC244 View Post
    so here we go;
    if a person comes to ny,as a tourist(with just a tourist visa)and decide to stay illegaly in the city-what would happen? i mean as far as job,apartmant,schooling,i mean anything at all? what kind of life can she/he expect? if any at all.
    a lots of us told her already that this isn't very good idea,but i want your honest opinion..because most of you are from either ny or at least us citizens.
    the problem is,you give them an advice that this is not good idea at all,but some are so determined to do it anyway, that they will start argue with you about it.
    so please people,all of you us citizens and new yorkers-give me your honest opinion about that.some real facts on" living ilegally" in a foreign country,in this case-usa,to be exact,state of ny.the obstacles,problems,name it...
    I don't condone illegal immigration and don't think it's an easy life. However,
    the reality is that there are lots of illegal immigrants living in New York City. Most of them came from Mexico, Latin America and the republics of the former Soviet Union.l If you want to see them, go to any restaurant in New York. Chances are, most of those washing dishes or helping in the kitchen are illegal immigrants from Mexico. The same is true for virtually any deli or cafe in the city. Anywhere in Downtown Manhattan, for example, mexican immigrants toast bagels and pour coffee for those rushing to work. If you go to virtually any Russian restaurant, you will see lots of illegal Russian immigrants (many came here on student or student exchange visa and stayed to make some money hoping to either earn some and return or legalize themselves here via either marriage or some other way).Not to mention the construction business, car services, moving, etc. There are illegal immigrants in all of those business in large numbers.

So, most jobs that you can get as illegal immigrant will be simple service oriented jobs - from restaurants to construction. By law, children of illegal immigrants can go to school here, and all illegal immigrants get emergency medical care basically for free.

There are many community and non-profit organizations that help people independent of their legal status. I think there's a way for an illgeal immigrant to get a driver license in New York, but I am not 100% sure. Not too manyh landlodrs will rent out their apartment to someone who does not have a legal status. So, most likely you would have to live in some pretty bad area or in a place that the landlord is desperate to rent cause no one else wants it.

So, it's all possible. But unless you find a way to get a work permit or a green card, it's a tough life with limited opportunities and unclear future.

Are you a US citizen? If so why don't you consider getting married? Instant green card...

Mr. Spice, despite your "I do not condone" preface, you've basically just given solid advice/encouragement so that more people can flout our laws, set up shot in our country illegally and put an additional burden on our tax-paying citizens that came to this country in the proper and legal way...

That's not what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Mr. Spice, despite your "I do not condone" preface, you've basically just given solid advice/encouragement so that more people can flout our laws, set up shot in our country illegally and put an additional burden on our tax-paying citizens that came to this country in the proper and legal way...

That's not what we need.
    I just gave an honest answer. The answer like that is very easy to find. I really did not "show the light" to anybody. NYC is full of illegal imigrants, especially from Mexico. Like it or not, but that the reality. I think one of the reasons for that is that smart and hardworking people cannot come here legally, as immigration laws are obsolete and legal paperwork can take 5-10 years or more. So we should just welcome more legal immigrants and modify our laws. I came to the US the legal way. But I was fortunate. Some of the immigrants are not as fortunate as me.