View Poll Results: Are things getting better around you?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, things seem to be getting much better.

1 11.11%
  • Yes, things seem to be getting somewhat better.

4 44.44%
  • Yes, things seem to be getting a little better.

1 11.11%
  • No, things seem to be about the same.

1 11.11%
  • No, things seem to be getting a little worse.

1 11.11%
  • No, things seem to be getting somewhat worse.

0 0%
  • No, things seem to be getting much worse.

1 11.11%

Thread: Do you think the economy is getting better or worse? Vote in poll please

Default Do you think the economy is getting better or worse? Vote in poll please

I just want to see and hear everyone's feelings on this. My perception is that people think things are better from last year, but I still see signs that things might be getting worse.

What are your feelings?

Its a misleading poll.

I firmly believe things SEEM to be getting better, when in reality its not.

I think the economy is going purple.

My industry (hollow metal doors) is just reaching what I consider to be the beginning of the bottom, where it will stay for the better part of 14-18 months before things start to improve.
    Last edited by User Name; January 27th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.

I just want to see how you feel. For some people there was no recession. They managed to keep their job and maybe even squeezed out a raise at the end of the year. However, there are others who have been unemployed for months. Its created two different realities.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I think the economy is going purple.
    Purple is the new red.

Red is the new pineapple.

(pass the word)

This is the most interesting time I can remember during my lifetime. I have a lot of nostalgia for our pre-tech life (like up until about 15 years ago)... but there is so much happening now... if you are smart and open to the new, I believe there's tons of opportunity.

Over here in my corner of the world, if you didn't read the papers... the look and feel is as prosperous as always even though the economy here is always kind of crappy. But you make do, you adjust. Life goes on and people try to live well. Certianly there are people with real problems but for many of us the economy is a state of mind. A big down turn in the economy like this always creates a vacuum that must be filled. There is a lot happening today.

The era that I loved was the 90s. Everyone always seemed to be having fun and money/jobs was plentiful. In 1998 to 1999, was the best time. Living costs were reasonable and salaries seemed high. A gallon of gas was about a dollar so, if you drive, a tank could be filled up with change to spare with a twenty. From 2001 to 2003, things became questionable. For a while during those times there was simply no fun to be had. Then from 2004 to 2007 came the good ole days again feeling a little bit closer to the 90s culture. Now it feels more like the 70s then anything else. Horrible politicians, bad economy and lots of people wondering where they are going in life.

I wanted to point out that out of all the different professions. Nurses and others in the healthcare industry have never gone through a personal recession. One nurse I went out with a few years back did not even realize there was a recession in 2001. As long as you are in the medical profession or employed over at Goldman Sachs or the AIG financial trading unit then you dont need to worry about such things.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

^

A dumb nurse. It sounds good. Did you score with her or what?

Nuses are chronically underpaid for their (supposed) skil set and as such there has always been a shortage of good ones.

Same thing for other professions such as Teachers.

Siting one idiots lack of knowledge about the recession circa 2000 does not prove the stability of the medical profession. If she had, and followed her 401K she would have been more than casually aware of the drop.

That being said, the Medical profession is not 100% secure either. There was at least one hospital in NJ I remember reading about that was closing for lack of funding and another, the one in Hoboken, which has always had problems (both in staff and in funding).

Moreso than Medicine, the Pharms have never had a serious problem that was not of their own doing in quite some time.

BTW, NYoC, you said you were in your mid 30's. How can you tell what was the scene in the 70's when you were less than 10 years old?