Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The View at Bryant Park - 14 West 40th St

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The city used to require cops to live in NYC, so the cops used to pool together and rent studios etc. and use that as a mailing address, and live in the burbs.
    Last edited by stache; March 20th, 2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typo

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Eco-Friendly Bryant Park Hotel to Break Ground This August

Rendering of the View at Bryant Park, the blue building in
    the middle.

by Dana Rubinstein | May 19, 2008

Finally, tourists will have a place to stay in Manhattan.

Developers filed plans on Friday for the View at Bryant Park, a good year after the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved designs for a 31-story cloud-buster at 20 West 40th Street. The site has since had to go through ULURP, the city's land-use review.

John Porges, one of the developers, said construction will begin this August on what is being billed as New York City's first, five-star green hotel.

The Starwood Capital 1 hotel, designed by Morris Adjmi Architects, will reportedly have 150 hotel rooms and 64 condos.

Starwood Capital announced plans last year to launch a new chain of LEED-certified hotels, dubbed "1," because one percent of all revenues will be donated to local environmental groups. The Natural Resources Defense Council is an adviser on the project.

2008 Observer Media Group

I guess that ^ didn't happen. In the meantime, the lot is still serving cars...

It might as well since the design was subpar anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

It might as well since the design was subpar anyway.
    I agree.

http://ny.curbed.com/

Hopefully, this POS won't be built. However, in a city committed to mediocrity, what more could be expected? If it is built, it will be a true testament as to what a lame, underachieving city NY is.

Planned Bryant Park Condo-Hotel Coming Back to Life
    An eco-friendly 31-story condo/hotel right on Bryant Park was supposed to break ground on a former parking lot in the summer of 2008. But a lot of green-themed luxury dreams were shattered in 2008, and the West 40th Street tower, called both The View at Bryant Park and the One Hotel & Residences at various points, was shelved. Now, a press release from brokerage Platinum Properties alerts us to some action at the 14-20 West 40th Street site. After a default on a $44 million loan and a deed-in-lieu-of-foreclosure deal, the site is now in the hands of HFZ Capital Group. The plan is to start building a new 189,000sqft hotel-condo, so this looks like another happy unfrozen project of yore, but we'll have to wait and see if architect Morris Adjmi's design survived the credit crunch along with it.

Morris Adjmi is New York's best younger homegrown architect --even better than Scarano-- and without the zoning high jinks.

I agree Adjmi can be very good (his High Line Building, now that it's getting the final touches on the exterior, is looking sharp & strong).

But this -- the color, the blockiness -- worries me standing as it will overlooking Bryant Park.

I fear two overbearing bookends rising beyond the southern corners (this and that Marriott Residence Inn horror show to the west).

It looks like an uninspired box with a lame facade. Once again, fleabag NY offers cheap, while high-fashion London offers quality. I give up. NY really does suck, though the same holds true for US cities in general.

then just go away.

Relax, Derek. You act like I'm personally insulting you when I state that NY aims as low as possible and churns out cheap, boring crap. It does. Why does that offend you?

As I said, I don't care if Chicago or SF build crap because I don't care about those cities. It bothers me, however, when NY produces such lame garbage. This is not the mindset that once made the city an architectural icon. Now it simply produces mierda.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 24th, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Your misinformed opinions don't offend me. I could care less what you think.

What offends me is you repeating your vulgar garbage all over the forum. At least Daquan sticks to one or two threads.

Amigo, you're acting like you're ten. Have a cognac and shag a babe (or a guy if that's your preference).

You can be sure they'll stick to that design because it's already been approved by the LPC. No way they're going to start from scratch again.

I don't doubt it. Another cheap, lame POS rises in Underachievement City.

That block is a mini-skyline all it's own. It's dreamy... every building is a jewel. This adds nothing.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast