Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Linden 78 - 230 West 78th Street - 20 story condo - UWS - by Handel Architects

Unfortunately I am looking for 1 bedrooms. 2 beds are generally out of my price range. Linden only has 2 beds and up. So I'm hoping that 350 Amsterdam will have 1 bdrms.

Quote Originally Posted by poorsod View Post
    Unfortunately I am looking for 1 bedrooms. 2 beds are generally out of my price range. Linden only has 2 beds and up. So I'm hoping that 350 Amsterdam will have 1 bdrms.
    The UWS is really lacking for new construction and inventory is really slim pickings unless you want to go to Riverside or 100th street.

We finally got an appointment at Linden and really liked the finishes. The bathrooms are beautiful and that little seat in the walk-in shower certainly got my wife's interest. I liked the wiring for speakers. Funny what each person cares about.

We know some friends in 505 Greenwich, same developer, who are happy with how it all came out. That's a big plus for us as we know too many unhappy new building buyers fighting with the developer years later. Not something we want to end up doing.

There's not too much left. Some of the high floor, great view stuff and some lower floor 2 bedrooms. We're not interested in paying for view as we're more than happy to trade view for space. We were also told that the third pricing amendment just went through a few days ago. Ugh.

We went to Harsen House too. Amazing but they are almost sold out without even a model of anything! Just renderings and some finish samples on a board. They said only 4 apartments left and they started sales in January! They are out of our price range though the whole floor plans are very well laid out. Even at original pricing we couldn't afford it. Really nice though.

Probably go back to Linden and see what's left. So hard to find a 3 or 4 bedroom condo on the UWS. Not sure we want to wait for 350 Amsterdam -- we're guessing it doesn't start closings until 2009 -- and there is so little info. The Equinox gym at 350 Amsterdam is a plus but it's around the corner from Linden too, just not in the building. We really like the Linden, finishes, children's room, layouts, etc but with the amendments, it's getting pricey fast. $1,600/ft or so. Acting slowly is costing us which means we need to make another appointment and see what's left now before they raise prices again...

Default dear labrador love

labrador, your message is so spot on with what i've been experiencing in the hunt for a nice uws 3-4br. linden really is a fantastic location, i would argue much better than the 350 amsterdam project because it enjoys a nice quiet street. all of my friends who live on avenues (even those on high floors) complain about being woken by delivery trucks blowing their horns or sirens or just ordinary traffic.

unfortunately holding out for a bargain in NYC just never seems to work. there are too many millionaires being branded every year by wall street and the weak US dollar is attracting significant foreign investment. i've spoken with the people who will be selling 350 amsterdam and while they don't have exact prces yet, they quickly cited the success at linden78 to tell me that it will unlikely be coming at a discount.

after rejecting the riverside blvd buildings and the element/10wea/harsen/ariel for one reason or another we actually signed a contract at the linden.

while we have every intention of moving in when the building is ready, if my budget suddenly explodes upward or craters downward, i will likely be looking to flip. if you have no luck looking around, check in with me to see if i'm still going forward at linden78.

Quote Originally Posted by uws shopper View Post
    after rejecting the riverside blvd buildings and the element/10wea/harsen/ariel for one reason or another we actually signed a contract at the linden.

while we have every intention of moving in when the building is ready, if my budget suddenly explodes upward or craters downward, i will likely be looking to flip. if you have no luck looking around, check in with me to see if i'm still going forward at linden78.
    Which line? A or B?

Did they mention the Stop Work Order?

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Pr...94&requestid=4

the b line. i asked about the stop work order and they didn't even know what i was talking about. what a joke. the contract does require urban to be in a position to close by April 2009 or else you get your deposit back with interest at 3.5%.

Default linden

i also signed a contract at Linden, for one of the 2-bedrooms. i signed up a few weeks ago, just in time to beat the last two price increases. it's a great location.

i looked at Harsen as well, but thought it was overpriced with blocked views in the rear. it was also in a noisier location.

does anyone know when they're going to knock down the building on 232-234 W 78th? So far only 230 W 78th has been demolished. i can't imagine they have this building ready in 2008...

Does anyone have details on what's going to be built on the SW corner of 72nd?

hey banker/new neighbor/fellow finance person. they told me last week that the 2nd building would be demolished and slabs would be laid in a week which obviously hasn't happened. i live now on the east side and i see how quickly buildings here are going up all around me so i wouldn't count them out. they obviously have a lot of money riding on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nybanker8 View Post

Does anyone have details on what's going to be built on the SW corner of 72nd?
    Is this what you're talking about?

http://uwsdevelopments.wordpress.com...colonial-club/

hey banker/new neighbor/fellow finance person. they told me last week that the 2nd building would be demolished and slabs would be laid in a week which obviously hasn't happened. i live now on the east side and i see how quickly buildings here are going up all around me so i wouldn't count them out. they obviously have a lot of money riding on it.
    Just walked by this morning. Nothing has changed at all. Wonder what's up.

The Harrison (350 Amsterdam) demolition looks like it is cruising now. The Equinox is gone except for the facade.

Related told me they were opening the sales office in a "few" weeks. Where the restaurant River used to be.

two months since the last post here and more of the same. no change on the site. the old red brick building is still standing and may still even be occupied. sales appear to be going very well though. i've noticed several availabilities drop off their web site even as prices get increased. still IMO plenty of time until april '09 deadline to get the building up.

Default update

looks like the stop work order has been lifted on 230 w 78th.

also, i spoke with sales office recently and supposedly the current tenant at 232-234 (a mikvah) was given a few more weeks to leave as their new space isn't ready yet.

they claim that the building is still on time for fall 08.

Went to the temporary Harrison 76 sales office yesterday -- posted in the 350 Amsterdam thread -- and got to say, the Linden finishes and prices are head and shoulders above it. A full notch. Same with Harsen House on 72nd -- though that has to be a brutal block to live directly on with the double wide traffic, buses, and just general subway insanity. Great location otherwise but it is so noisy, much worse than Amsterdam.

Not sure about the mikvah and whatever that deal is but Harrison is busy doing demolition left and right and walking by Linden, it looks exactly the same as three months ago. Not a thing has been done at all.

They ever going to build this thing?

thanks for the post on harrison. sounds like related (obviously) sees how well sales are going at linden 78 so they started at a higher price/sq foot. how about common charges? were they hi/low?

as for construction at linden, I have no clue. i imagine the only deadlines they have to worry about are pouring the foundation by 12/31/07 to get the 421a and finishing by april 2009, the deadline in the offering plan.

i rode past the element yesterday - that location is so aweful and they are getting 1500/sq foot so good luck hunting for a bargain. your best bet is to just pull the trigger as prices seem to be goingonly in one direction.

as for construction at linden, I have no clue. i imagine the only deadlines they have to worry about are pouring the foundation by 12/31/07 to get the 421a and finishing by april 2009, the deadline in the offering plan.
    232 W 78 is now empty so there should probably be a permit filing soon for demolition on it.

But 230 W 78 now has -- again -- a stop work order due to inadequate fencing
    http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Pr...94&requestid=4

Check the complaints on that link and there's obviously some pissed off neighbor who just keeps calling and calling in complaints...has one on 232 W 78 now too as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nybanker8 View Post
    looks like the stop work order has been lifted on 230 w 78th.

also, i spoke with sales office recently and supposedly the current tenant at 232-234 (a mikvah) was given a few more weeks to leave as their new space isn't ready yet.

they claim that the building is still on time for fall 08.
    Walked by yesterday. The Mikvah is coming down with the top story already off so demolition is progressing.

Probably finish demolition in October and pour the foundation the same month.

12 months to build a 23 story building? Possible but with the integration of the comedy club building it won't be a straight build. If I were to place a bet, end of '08 maybe, early '09. Not sure the developer would be worried about the outside date as the apartments will sell for more by then anyway. They obviously want it done sooner than later though. Carrying that interest can't be happy.

Seems like Harrison76 *may* open before Linden78 or it will be neck-in-neck.

In other news, the hotel On The Ave was just purchased by Highgate Holdings for $201m. They are a hotel operator so I doubt it's a conversion. There does seem to be some chatter about some high-end restaurants possibly going into the long-vacant retail space.

The other thing I noticed is two of the 3 bedrooms, apartments 11A and 12A have been combined into a 4,606 square foot duplex for $7.69 million. That makes the average apartment in the building something like $3.8 million. Certainly a different positioning than Harrison76 and the combination brings the number of units down too (I also hear there is a combination or two by some buyers). Harrison, both in prices and finishes, seems to be just a notch below. Makes sense considering the size of the Harrison project.

With the Apthorp semi-conversion, the Harrison76, Linden78, and the possible upscale restaurants at On The Ave, that little 3 block radius is undergoing quite the transformation -- anchored to the south by the JCC.

I'm still hoping for a Whole Foods to go into the basement level retail of Harrison76 (25K square feet).

EDIT: Mikvah now gone. Looks like a busy demolition week.
    Last edited by LabradorLove; September 2nd, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast