Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 531 West End Avenue (20-story condo) - by Lucien LaGrange

A shame about the townhouse and although maybe it looks a little icky, if it's well built, it's going to be very nice.

If something like this had gone up where those odd-ball, foil-wrapped Ariel towers stand, I bet the community would not be protesting about new construction.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    http://www.llarch.com/
    Menu --> Projects --> Residential --> 531-539 West End Avenue
    That site says there's only 28 units in the whole building. I can't believe something this large is only going to have a measly 28 units.

Sometimes you wonder if it's worth losing a couple of nice townhouses just for so few units.

I was surprised at that myself, but the city realty article says that there will be several seven bedroom units, which is crazy I think.

BTW, am I just missing it, or is it gone from the website?

Yup, gone. Maybe we (or the traffic your link created) had something to do with it?

Marketing starts for 535 West End Avenue at 86th Street

14-JAN-08

Marketing has started for the 20-story residential condominium building at 535 West End Avenue on the southwest corner at 86th Street.

Demolition started last fall.

IMICO West End LLC., of which David Rothstein is an executive vice president, is the developer. It is a project of Extell Development.
    When demolition started last fall, the building was planned to have 34 apartments and, according to an offering plan filed in July for testing purposes with the New York State Attorney General's Office, the project would have a purchase price offering of $274,105,000.

That plan said there would be four studio units of 615 to 725 square feet on the second floor, larger units above the second floor and "penthouse" units on floors 16 through 21 which would seven-bedroom units with seven-and-a-half baths with 6,275 square feet priced at $11,600,000 to $12,100,000.

An ad that appeared in yesterday's edition of The New York Times Magazine, however, describing the project as "The Finest Pre-War Ever Built," said it was "a limited edition of 22 exquisite half and full floor condominium residences."

The ad showed the rendering at the right and a floor plan of a full-floor, 7-bedroom, 7.5-bathroom unit with 8,451 square feet that was notable for have a library at the curved corner at 86th Street that was to the east of a living room smaller than the dining room.

The building will have a landscaped courtyard, a recreation room a fitness center with a swimming pool, and a game room.

The red-brick building will have a swimming pool, a La Palestra fitness center, a private courtyard, a private lounge and club room and kitchens by Smallbone of Devizes.

The building will have a three-story rusticated limestone base and the top floor will also have a limestone facade. The building will have a canopied entrance beneath an arched window on West End Avenue and some arched windows on the 2nd and 14th floors and all the windows on the 20th floor will be arched. There is a setback at the 15th floor.

Lucien Lagrange, who has designed many high-rise luxury apartment towers in Chicago, is the architect for the project.

Copyright 1994-2008 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Very nice.

A little dorky, but very nice.

Stern is really churnin' them out.

Looks good to me and I'm no fan of retro design, though the project is Lucien Lagrange, not Stern.

Lagrange is a prolific Chicago-based architect who doesn't have a prevailing style.

Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    Stern is really churnin' them out.
    I was not referring to the the architect, I was referring to Stern our forum member.

A little dorky, but very nice.
    And here, I'm referring to MidtownGuy.

Looks great! Great retro style, not corny at all.

Banned Member

...And here, I'm referring to MidtownGuy.
    You are bad, but you got a laugh out of me.

Thumbs up

There was a big rendering of this building in the Times magazine last Sunday. I think this building looks quite nice, and fits in perfectly with the block. The materials look like they should be top-notch, and the corner curve is appreciated. My only gripe is with the cornices on the building's setback and top. I wish they were more pronounced.

NYT article about the bizarre marketing for this building:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/ny...ty/09prew.html

"21st Century Pre-War Residences"

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Oh, I've been selling real estate for too long, because I don't think that slogan is crazy . ..

to me, it's code for this a condo with a layout that will give you an entry foyer, a living room bigger than the 13 by 15 we are seeing standard in new condos, and possibly some demarcation of the dining room.

Don't know if that's what they're delivering, but it seems like that's what they're promising.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Updated On 03/26/08 at 10:31AM

Parking war over Extell's 'pre-war' West End Ave. building

535 West End Avenue

By James Kelly

Extell's new "pre-war" building on the Upper West Side has a very post-war problem: parking.

The developer is battling with a local community board over the fate of an underground parking garage and curb cut for the 20-story luxury condo project at 535 West End Avenue.

And the battle, like most that revolve around parking in New York City, has gotten ugly.

Opponent Batya Lewton, a spokeswoman for the Coalition for a Livable West Side, claims Extell hired "out-of-work actors" to walk the streets near the project and collect petitions in favor of the garage.

She said petitioners were yelling, "Save 20 parking spots on West End Ave."

But she said that when somebody asked them if they knew the specifics of the issue, they said, "We don't know, or care, all we know is that we're getting paid."

Lewton called Extell's behavior "pathetic" and "deceitful" and reported it to Community Board 7, which is considering a resolution on the issue.

The president of Extell, Gary Barnett, defended his company's decision to hire the petitioners.

"This is a free country, and people have the right to have their opinions heard," Barnett said. When asked if those hired by Extell to canvass for the garage proposal were indeed out-of-work actors, Barnett said: "It doesn't matter whether it's unemployed people, it just matters who's signing the petition."

After four days of petitioning, resulting in about 300 signatures, Extell ended the campaign, after Community Board 7 complained to the developer that it was "upsetting" residents, said Donna Gargano, Extell's senior vice president of development. She said that the company didn't see the problem with the canvassing, but decided to stop because it drew complaints.

"When I heard about [the Community Board's] complaint it was shocking. I said, 'this is absolutely un-American,'" Barnett said.

The Coalition for a Livable West Side received 410 votes in opposition to the project, and presented it at the Board's Transportation Committee. Extell has not yet decided whether it would present the results of its petition to the board.

And, Barnett hasn't left the fight up to his underlings. He appeared in front of the community board with a Powerpoint presentation to persuade members to give him the green-light for the 20 private parking spots, which is 11 more than the as-of-right-spots the building is allotted.

The community board's transportation committee has already passed a resolution to reject the garage and the measure is expected to be rejected by the full committee. So, it looks like when the building opens in 2009 that some of those who shelled out between $8 million and $25 million for apartments that are up to 14,000 square feet may have to find parking elsewhere.

Copyright 2008 The Real Deal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast