Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 531 West End Avenue (20-story condo) - by Lucien LaGrange

Default 531 West End Avenue (20-story condo) - by Lucien LaGrange

20-story condo building planned for 531 West End Avenue

06-NOV-06

Demolition has started at 531 West End Avenue between 85th and 86th Streets where IMICO West End LLC., of which David Rothstein is an executive vice president, plans a new 20-story residential condominium building.

The new building, which is a project of Extell Development, will have 34 units and 30 parking spaces in an attended garage.

According to an offering plan filed in July for testing purposes with the New York State Attorney General’s Office, the project would have a purchase price offering of $274,105,000.

There would be four studio units of 615 to 725 square feet on the second floor, larger units above the second floor and “penthouse” units on floors 16 through 21 which would seven-bedroom units with seven-and-a-half baths with 6,275 square feet priced at $11,600,000 to $12,100,000.

The building will have a landscaped courtyard, a recreation room a fitness center with a swimming pool, and a game room. It would have 100 feet of frontage on 86th Street.

Mr. Rothstein did not return a call from CityRealty.com for further details.

Part of the site is occupied by an orange-brick clad low-rise residential building, shown at the right.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Hope they hold the building line and cornice line. West End Avenue has a Parisian consistency.

I sincerely hope that the POS on the corner is razed and that the beautiful, old townhouse to the south of the site is not. I assume that the POS will be torn down since the article states that the project will "have 100 feet of frontage on 86th Street."

This building is one of the few eyesores on WEA.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Why does every damn building going up nowadays have to have a freakin' recreation/fitness center?

Aren't that what fitness clubs are suppose to be for?

Jeez.

Anyway, I have a feeling this is the kind of site where O'Hara gets the call, unfortunately. Let's hope not though.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    .... Anyway, I have a feeling this is the kind of site where O'Hara gets the call, unfortunately. Let's hope not though.
    Why do you think that? This is a very upscale area, and this POS which will be demolished was basically the only POS on WEA north of 59th St.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Why do you think that? This is a very upscale area, and this POS which will be demolished was basically the only POS on WEA north of 59th St.
    Upscale perhaps, but kind of in an out-of-the-way area.
    Anyway, location doesn't seem to prevent O'Hara from getting work, as his garbage is scattered all over town.

Why does every damn building going up nowadays have to have a freakin' recreation/fitness center?
    This article form the Sunday NY Times might explain it:

Which Building Improvements Really Pay Off?

... After tending to the lobby and hiring (or not) of a doorman, many buildings add the sorts of amenities found in newer developments. The most popular are gyms, followed by roof decks and/or playrooms, depending on available space and the particular demographics of a building’s residents.

... But as developers have already discovered, the most popular amenity — measured in use by residents and demand by buyers — is a gym. In a city crammed with strivers who work out at 5 a.m. or midnight, such exercisers appreciate not having to don a coat, raise an umbrella or waste time treading to a treadmill (or to their squash or basketball courts).

“People want the convenience even if they belong to a gym,” said Gary Barnett, president of Extell ...

Upscale perhaps, but kind of in an out-of-the-way area.
    Anyway, location doesn't seem to prevent O'Hara from getting work, as his garbage is scattered all over town.
    This location is one block from the 86th Street subway station and all of the stores on B'way. I would love to live there.

Extell wouldn't use O'Hara. They've shown that they are interested in developing decent buildings.....Ariel East/West, the Orion, Avery. Not magnificent buildings, but not O'Hara wrecks.

The Dude Abides

I wouldn't be surprised if Cetra/Ruddy gets the call for this one.

I hope that a glass building is not constructed on this corner. Stone is warranted here.

^ That's right, they ought to zone glass curtain wall right out of this area. West End Avenue on the whole has the greatest architectural unity and harmony to be found in New York.

I agree. I like the new glass buildings but this would be out of place....like the Ariel towers. Stern should be commissioned.....but it's probably very unlikely.

Well looks like we will get our brick/stone building. I was browsing the website for Lucien Lagrange, who is to Chicago what Kondylis is to NY. He's used a heck of a lot, in other words.

http://www.llarch.com/
    Menu --> Projects --> Residential --> 531-539 West End Avenue

Interesting that Extell is using a Chicago based architect. It would be cool if he used Solomon Cordwell Buenz for a NY building, they are another prevalent Chicago firm and their buildings are very modern and generally awesome.

That's a nice building. Sadly, a beautiful Victorian townhouse is being razed for this project. Extell should have saved it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast