Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kalahari Condominium - West 116th Street - Harlem

This one looks better 'in real life' than the rendering.

^I was just going to say that it looks exactly like the rendering....a rare occurrence. It looks decent, high quality at least compared to other new buildings in Harlem.

Yes I just drove by the building and it looks quite nice. I am not sure how it will age and should it get dirty it could look gross but we'll see.

And on the brownstones up there, they are grand. There are still so many good investment opportunities up there for someone who is willing to spend the money/time.

This is beyond fabulous. Skilled all the way around. Extra smart.

----

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=381726

I like the design. It certainly catches the eye and enlivens that portion of 116th.

I wonder what they were thinking though by referencing the Kalahari Desert. The Kalahari Desert is in Southern Africa and has nothing to do with Harlem or its residents. Even the West African community on 116th has roots that are thousands of miles from the Kalahari. It would be like honoring a historically Italian neighborhood with a Russian design.

Hopefully that adjacent city-owned site is next. It screams for a Kalahari-like massing on 116th, which is really becoming vibrant.

They did a very nice job with the finishes, at least in the model I saw this summer. Interesting choices, cut costs wisely without reducing quality or style. The lavastone they used in the kitchens looks wonderful. The floors are bamboo, however, so you'll have to take your stillettos off indoors. Does anyone have any info about closings, sales, etc.? They were supposed to start closing around now. I'm taking a break from the market for many reasons, but I'm still interested in the building in the long term. Thanks for any info.

Default bamboo and closing questions

Quote Originally Posted by pricedout View Post
    They did a very nice job with the finishes, at least in the model I saw this summer. Interesting choices, cut costs wisely without reducing quality or style. The lavastone they used in the kitchens looks wonderful. The floors are bamboo, however, so you'll have to take your stillettos off indoors. Does anyone have any info about closings, sales, etc.? They were supposed to start closing around now. I'm taking a break from the market for many reasons, but I'm still interested in the building in the long term. Thanks for any info.
    Bamboo is "harder" than most woods--in the natural state. If they carbonize it, a bit softer.

WHEN IS THIS BUILDING GOING TO BE DONE> Looks close?! Anyone have any sales figures for how many they have under contract?

I think it may be carbonized. But, it's been a while and I saw a lot of developments so my overburdened and aging memory may be failing me. We saw a fantastic 2200 sf unit floorplan with large outdoor terrace (over 300 sf) being offerred for under $1.5 (pre-release figure). Again, this was late summer/early fall.

Thumbs down Don't buy here!

I own an apartment in this so called building and you dont want to live here! The development barges in on you apartment whenever a neighbor complains about anything. I live here and people here complain about a person if they dont like the way they dress. If you dont attend every meeting you become targeted. The doormen are cool but the person who heads them up feeds neighbors information on people he doesnt like...

Be aware!

You'll never sell your place with posts like that.

Thanks for that back-story on that building Udontknowme - very hard to find. I am currently helping a friend find a condo in my nab (harlem) and you just make my short-list: shorter. Thanks for giving us the lowdown. BTW - does the door staff actually wear african garb, I saw renderings of the 'traditional' uniforms somewhere on this thread. Or, do the doormen wear standard outfits.
    Last edited by infoshare; April 22nd, 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12