Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Five Franklin Place - 19 story condo - ODA Architecture

I hope that this is built. This stretch of Broadway has been dilapidated, but it has so many utterly stunning buildings that simply need TLC. This would be a great addition to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The white (painted) brick building just to the south (on the NW corner of Broadway & Franklin at 365 Broadway) is still behind construction netting. It's been stripped down to original red brick and had 2 floors of basic brick and windows added up top and looks like it's sort of nearly done.

Odd: I can find no specific DOB filing or application for a vertical enlargement at 365 Broadway .
    I just noticed this at DOB for the project next door to the south:

Premises: 365 BROADWAY MANHATTAN

POST APPROVAL AMENDMENT FOR DOC 01

------------- * PROFESSIONALLY CERTIFIED * ------------

AUDIT: NOTICE TO REVOKE 07/29/2010

Last Action: PLAN EXAM - APPROVED 07/21/2010 (P)

Application approved on: 04/10/2009

Thank you. Hopefully another developer will purchase the outstanding liabilities and secure the rights to complete this project. Generally I feel these unfinished projects is not good for society.

365 Broadway is showing what the changes look like -- and Curbed has the sorry evidence ...

Seriously, How Bad is This Historic Broadway Building's Makeover?

Oh My f..cking god!

People complain when I call NY Kandahar-on-Hudson, but the f.cking shoe fits. How does this sh.it happen? Why would any wang destroy what was a beautiful building? This is an absolute disgrace. NY is on the express train to being a truly f.cked up, fleabag, bedbug infested city.

Last edited by londonlawyer; October 5th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Wow that's really bad.

I suggest we all e-mail the owner, Robert Moezinia, and tell him what an incredible idiot he is. I've done so already.
    ONE4U743@AOL.COM

The architects, Ira Benlevi AIA and Vincents Associates Architects should be blacklisted.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; October 5th, 2010 at 01:05 PM.

The owner is a huge wang.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

But what will you do about it? Will you at least email him and tell him how you feel?

Anyone want to paste that e-mail address into the comments feed at Curbed so that a wider audience (which is 100% disapproving of this travesty) can send their complaints to the owner?

Too bad the embarrassment of them won't bring the building back.

Even more productive would be to send the link to landmarks, though I bet someone there reads Curbed and is already aware of this.

I don't really blame LPC either, they are underfunded/understaffed and the forced to deal with a cumbersome process. The amount of research and evidence they have to produce to landmark something is ridiculous.

A comprehensive document to send to politicians about the slow erosion of NY's pre-war buildings gems would be best. It's hard to generate outrage when these types of events only occur 5 or 6 times a year in various neighborhoods. If one could see all that has been lost in the past decade in a single document many would be appalled (hopefully).

Looking at the Landmark map [pdf] for the area it's clear that this stretch of Broadway was excluded, for whatever reason. The Tribeca East Landmark District exists on the blocks to the north, to the east and to the west. All the little patches of Broadway south of Canal Street that aren't covered by Landmarks are getting crass looking stuff (this, 88 Leonard, 279 Broadway among others).

Luckily Broadway north of Canal is nearly completely landmarked up to Waverly Place (Soho & Noho -- except for the lot at the NE corner Houston where the new glass and metal Adidas building went up a few years ago). The stretch of Broadway to the north from Waverly to West 17th also has a batch of beauties that aren't protected and are being cluttered up with new crud (aka 791 Broadway).

The horror!

This building was really beautiful . What was the purpose of this vandalism . Wouldn't potential residents have rather lived in what it was like before .

Cornice: Gone. Arched windows: Gone. Scroll work: Gone.

from the curbed entry

Also, the windows with the beautiful grids are gone.

Perhaps the owner was referencing a building across Broadway at the northern end of the block, The Mandarin Plaza, built in 1990 at 374-378 Broadway (corner of White Street -- also just outside the historic district). It's a condo: Trulia has some recent info. NY Times has more.

City Realty describes it best:

... minimalist, red-brick tower that is ungainly and has no contextual concerns and no architectural frills, a typical New York post-war "luxury" residential tower building that looks bad compared to most public housing.

Building cheap and ugly can pay off in NYC.