Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Five Franklin Place - 19 story condo - ODA Architecture

Can some tell me why a gut renovation ans a cheap addition on top was not enough?

Not a justification for this crud, but ...

Seems they may have changed the floor levels to some degree, which would mean re-aligning windows.

And who knows what condition the old brick was in. Lots of times you'll get old bricks that are pulling away, out of plumb, with failure of pointing at both the interior and exterior.

Our building, built about the same time, was riddled with areas where the brick is three courses thick, but much of the joinery composition had disintegrated. Luckily we're within a Historic District. And thank da lawd I'm a renter.

You do know that back in the day, windows with grids were considered cheap crap. It was broad, uninterupted glass that was considered to make a classier window.

They had grids because it was difficult to make the broad flat plate glass we have now. Glass had to be made in cylinders and then straigtened. It was easier to make little flat pane and piece them together with mulliens than to make a full window sized pane.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Also, the windows with the beautiful grids are gone.

Grids look really nice. If the typical, unadorned brick boxes throughout Manhattan (whether red brick or white brick) had windows with black frames and black grids, they'd look dramatically better. Silver window frames with no grids look like mierda.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    You do know that back in the day, windows with grids were considered cheap crap.
    What?

Does half of the Upper East Side, the Village, Chelsea know about this?

No one told Ralph Lauren?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4g75slnk7q.../s1600/top.JPG

---

A window in Tudor City:

It's called "charm".
    Last edited by Fabrizio; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:02 AM.

The white brick buildings all over the UES particularly would benefit from these windows. In my opinion, this feauture alone would make them look beautiful.

Take a look at this: the penthouse of 211 Elizabeth. This is not a restoration but new construction. Note the simple design but how the paned windows add so much character:

211 Elizabeth is beautiful, for a new brick building. Photo by yours truly via Emporis:

Windows with grids also add a great deal to the Bowery Hotel.

I'm amazed when older buildings get new windows with silver frames and no grids. They look cheap. Grids are not even expensive.

They became charming, because people think they look old fashioned. But it doesn't change the fact that they were the cheap crap (back in the day) and the uninterrupted windows were the good stuff. If you can find an 1850-ish expensive house with the original windows (good luck), you'll see that the visible front windows were not divided, and the back windows, not visible to the street, were divided.

Also, if you have a apt wiht a nice view, do you want the view blocked/chopped up by mutton bars?

Remember, in the, building are built for the people inside them, not outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    What?

Does half of the Upper East Side, the Village, Chelsea know about this?

No one told Ralph Lauren?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4g75slnk7q.../s1600/top.JPG

---

A window in Tudor City:

It's called "charm".

SNAP!

It's all about the overall proportions.

someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    I thought that making large flat panes of glass wasn't even possible until around 1848?
    Even then the process left the glass with a somewhat wavy look.
    Uninterrupted windows back then were desirable because they were new.
    That doesn't make gridded windows cheap crap. (everything has it's place)
    Also, if you have a apt wiht a nice view, do you want the view blocked/chopped up by mutton bars?
    In my loft i have a full wall of 8 foot high grid-less windows- with a decent view- YES, if allowed I would replace them with gridded ones in a flash!

I saw that on Curbed. That would really suck if these wangs build that POS and abandon Van Berkel's stunning design.

Seeng the beautiful, old building just south of here which was violently raped recently really pisses me off too. The "developers" in NYC are real di.cks.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast