Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Galerie 515 Hotel & Condominium Residences - 511 Ninth Avenue - by Costas Kondylis

Quote Originally Posted by HKPioneer View Post
    I hope the city takes over this project and builds some affordable housing in the neighborhood. I always thought the Galerie 515 idea was WAAY too upscale for my neighborhood.
    The city is already building thousands of units of new subsidized housing directly in your neighborhood. Probably no neighborhood in the entire city will get as many taxpayer subsidized units in coming years.

And obviously that location can support luxury housing. New construction one bedrooms in that neighborhood start at about $4,000/month. Midtown Manhattan is one of the most expensive residential markets on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    And obviously that location can support luxury housing. New construction one bedrooms in that neighborhood start at about $4,000/month. Midtown Manhattan is one of the most expensive residential markets on the planet.
    But, as I said, this site appears to be dead. The lighting and security makes me think they are not planning to do any actual building at any time in the near future. The website for apartment sales seems to indicate only a few apartments available, so I don't understand why they were unable to continue construction. It may have something to do with the hotel part of the complex, but even then, all those dreadful Kaufman hotels seem to be doing well.

I had long ago resigned myself to losing my view, in fact, if it's ever built I will save on my Con Ed bill: the building will protect my building from the summer afternoon sun. In the winter I will still have afternoon sun, at least until Hudson Yards gets built, but by that time I will be in a nursing home.

I have lived in this neighborhood since 1979. I have seen many changes, and while I'm very glad I no longer have to ask a person sucking on a crack pipe to move so I can get into my building, the idea of velvet ropes (The failed Door Lounge at 508 9th and the new Frames at the Port Authority) makes me snicker.

Scumonkey, I, too, seriously miss Guido's/Supreme Macaroni. Their stuffed shells were unbeatable. I also still miss the callery pear tree that was cut down, it was the only bit of green I could see from my window without hitting my head on the glass. It was my connection to the elements as I began my day.

I spoke too soon: I was just dropping off my dry cleaning on the corner and the owner of the shop told me that building will resume in the Spring. They've got their money together and are getting their permits.

I just got back from a vacation week: they have been putting up aluminum studs, it looks like they are starting to build in earnest. Thank God I'm not sleeping in the room that fronts 9th Ave.

Do you know what happened to the tree right in front of your abode?
    So sad to see another one (and a big one at that) chopped down?!

Hey Scumonkey, I don't know what happened to the tree, I haven't talked to anyone who might know what happened. I assumed it got damaged in the bad weather on Thursday, July 26th, but it was completely gone when I got home that Saturday night, which seems a little quick for the city tree people. I will definitely miss it, I loved to linger under it and watch the people go by of a weekend afternoon. I so envy the people on 40th Street west of Ninth Avenue, the way those callery pears overarch the street, beautiful in all seasons.

Hope you had a good vacation?
    I saw the tree late at night/early mourning, just before they took it down.
    There were some small branches that looked like they were clipped off by a passing truck or something laying on the sidewalk underneath (but nothing major).
    They also had that yellow police tape set up around the whole area, but who knows why - the tree looked fine and stable.
    The next day it was just GONE, not a trace of anything having ever been there except for the plot & stump?!
    DAMN
    I also peeked through the view port at the galerie hotel and it looked like they had already put in an entire sub floor level.
    Too bad it's going to be such a dog of a building.
    At the very least (hopefully) there won't be anymore standing water in that pit breeding all these mosquitoes.

I wonder when something will rise at the southwest corner of 42nd and 9th. It looks like such a slum right now.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I wonder when something will rise at the southwest corner of 42nd and 9th. It looks like such a slum right now.
    SE corner isn't much better

21 Jan 2013

On location construction photos are alway great to see, and take a fair amount of time & effort on the part of the poster: so thanks for all you valued input EM.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that curtain wall came about by no other consideration other than finding the cheapest possible way to construct an external barrier between the interior spaces and the 'outside elements' - cheap ass value engineering at it's finest.

Put up some sheet metal studs, screw on some wall-board panels, paint the panels with a thick exterior grade paint: and there you have 'a lovely' and 'cost effective' curtain wall. YUK
    Last edited by infoshare; January 22nd, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

That's something. It doesn't seem like the exterior is generally painted on like that. I wonder how much cheaper it is? I mean, even the Kaufman hotel specials are generally panels or bricks or tiles or some combination of the 3. Interesting.

I agree this looks awful. Hopefully they paint it.

The associated supermarket recently closed which along with the buildings to the corner seem to be ready for demolition. I would think that this means something is going to happen soon to the SW of 42nd and 9th.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast