Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Galerie 515 Hotel & Condominium Residences - 511 Ninth Avenue - by Costas Kondylis

^you would be right...for an even uglier pos than this.

The windows on the above also have to be the absolute cheapest,
    flimsiest, reuse of condemned trailer park parts i've ever seen used-anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterp4 View Post
    The associated supermarket recently closed which along with the buildings to the corner seem to be ready for demolition. I would think that this means something is going to happen soon to the SW of 42nd and 9th.
    Are you Referring to the Big Apple meat market?

yes

Thanks for the update. I hope that the developer gets the site just south of here where the tent is located.

here's hoping you never have to stop hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Thanks for the update. I hope that the developer gets the site just south of here where the tent is located.
    Stiles Produce Market. I understand they do not intend to sell out, at least as of this writing. BTW, it is a great produce market.

The meat market will reopen on February 1, I beleive on 39th or 40th street and 9th ave, which makes us very happy!
    Last edited by eddhead; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:37 PM.

YES the market will reopen on 9th av between 39th and 40th (on the west side of the ave.,where the big yellow awning is/was)
    and we are very happy -but how much smaller and more expensive will it become?!

I just checked out what I think is the proposed space on google maps. It does seem smaller, but than again the original space was a bit awkward. Maybe they can be a bit more efficient.

What makes you think it will be more expensive? I hope it is not, the only other grocery options are the small delis in the area and that hideous food emporium on 42nd.

What makes you think it will be more expensive?
    the move to a smaller place, and the higher rent (I asked them).
    This happened to my favorite hardware store as well.
    They relocated just down the road from their old place, and the prices more than tripled!

I now go to the associated on 14th and 8th. I also go to Fairway and whole foods. The food emporium is an offense to anyone who is not rich and even they probably shop elsewhere.

I used to go to the Whole Foods at Columbus Circle. It was great. I speculate that the developer will acquire the Stiles lot. Everyone has a price, and every business can relocate.

hope you have to keep speculating... the designs have already been drawn up (yes it's godawful ugly), and the lot is not included (thank goddess).
    Also being so close to the bus ramps I would assume that there would probably be some type of building restrictions there?
    I just don't see why you have such a pension for decreeing such sites eyesores/unworthy of standing, in places you do not live
    (and in this instance probably almost NEVER visit), press so hard to have them torn down, and replaced with what will become another inevitable pile of $hit- just as ugly or worse than what was there.

A pile with no amenities to replace what it removes, giving back absolutely nothing to the areas actual residents (except loss of views,
    more shade, and in this case hoards of clueless tourists who won't be shopping in the area) because it's all being ripped out and filled in with these hideous crap hotels.
    And noooooo, not every business can relocate, and even if they could, it would not necessarily mean they could relocate to a place where they are actually needed- like the fruit market.
    If your going to rip out and replace the heart of a neighborhood (no matter how sad it looks to someone on the outside), at least do it with something that is visually better , and restores or gives back access to the necessities the area had, still needs and deserves.
    The only one that wins here is the greedy developer.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    I just don't see why you have such a pension for decreeing such sites eyesores/unworthy of standing, in places you do not live
    (and in this instance probably almost NEVER visit), press so hard to have them torn down, and replaced with what will become another inevitable pile of $hit- just as ugly or worse than what was there.
    Find me the ugliest building built in the last 30 years in NYC, and it will be 1000 times nicer looking to most folks than that shantytown market.

And I don't see why folks have to live in a specific neighborhood to have an opinion of the neighborhood's buildings. If I visit Paris, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on how the city looks unless I move there?

In any case, that market is likely a goner, in the short-term or long-term. There's no way the highest and best use is some flea-market style operation when you're surrounded by high value uses. It will be great for the city once you get a building that actually generates some real estate taxes and business activity.

Find me the ugliest building built in the last 30 years in NYC, and it will be 1000 times nicer looking to most folks than that shantytown market.
    No one is disagreeing with you on that point.

And I don't see why folks have to live in a specific neighborhood to have an opinion of the neighborhood's buildings. If I visit Paris, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on how the city looks unless I move there?
    I didn't say that either...and londonlawyer is most definitely (and also according to himself) no visitor...
    and the statement you quoted by me (also out of context) was directed at londonlawyer specifically- who as of late
    seems to be consistently advocating for wholesale replacement- right now- of anything that does not meet his approval (warranted or not) with something else that should be better than what is there, but alas, and especially in this area, usually is not.

I went on to say:
    If your going to rip out and replace the heart of a neighborhood (no matter how sad it looks to someone on the outside), at least do it with something that is visually better , and restores or gives back access to the necessities the area had, still needs and deserves.
    The only one that wins here is the greedy developer.
    So I'm not disagreeing with anyone that the place is visually a dump. But hoping that the cheap a$$ developer also acquires this plot, making his unnecessarily ugly craptastic hotel next door even bigger is imho just short sighted and NOT the answer.

Better that someone else with a bigger vision (and less questionable taste) do here what will eventually get done.
    In the meantime, the people who actually live there (myself included), could keep the only true outlet left to them in the area for such necessities...one that's been there-tent and all for 30 years, until that bigger and better vision does come along leaving the area richer- not more sterile- than it was before.

An ugly tent that serves a good purpose for many people on an otherwise empty lot, can also be seen as a vision of hope- for something even better.
    Another tasteless, no vision, low budget, hotel such as this,(in an area that's as of late been completely inundated with them), is and will remain just that-and with our short life spans- forever.

I'd rather pay higher taxes and wait for something better to replace the tent with, than allow another low caliber, dirty diaper justbarelypassitecture more space to stain the street scape with.

I totally agree with you Scumonkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast