Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOKYO SKY TREE - Tadao Ando / Kiichi Sumikawa

Any updates on groundbreaking, etc?
    I was there last month, and the local tourist office had some nice visualizations.
    It will be very close (across the river) from Asahi Super Dry Hall (aka "unchi biru")

That last set of pictures was reminescent of the tower they wanted to construct in JC for a communications tower that was gonna pic up the slack for the destoryed WTC.

What an amazing tower. Beautiful.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tokyo Sky Tree construction starts

Kyodo News
    Tobu Railway Co. and others held a ceremony Monday to mark the beginning of construction of the 610-meter Tokyo Sky Tree in Sumida Ward, scheduled for completion in spring 2012.
    A prayer was offered for the safety of construction workers at the site of the new radio and TV transmission tower.
    Tokyo Sky Tree, which will be one of the world's tallest radio and TV transmission towers, is to commence operation in spring 2012.
    NHK and the five major commercial broadcasters are currently using Tokyo Tower to transmit both analog and digital TV signals.
    Last edited by schwenko; July 15th, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: more complete info

i saw this:

Fiscal 2006 Basic design
    Fiscal 2007~8 Execution design
    July 2008 Start of construction
    December 2011 (Scheduled) Construction completion
    Spring 2012 (Scheduled) Grand opening

http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/english/

The new super tower being build in Tokyo, which had been unofficially known as “New Tokyo Tower” or “Sumida Tower,” now has an official name. According to Wikipedia, people had been asked to vote for one of six not-very-interesting names:

• Tokyo Edo Tower
    • Tokyo Sky Tree
    • Mirai Tree
    • Yume Miyagura
    • Rising East Tower
    • Rising Tower

And the winner was: Tokyo Sky Tree, with 32,000 votes. The runner-up was Tokyo Edo Tower, with 1,500 votes.

feb 2009 flickr construction shot:

^ more:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoshikazut/3299417187/

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0gSZdXvaZ57aL

current height as of june 2009: 54 meters
    Last edited by meesalikeu; June 15th, 2009 at 04:19 AM.

the one in Guangzhou nearly completed now, 2001 ft:

Its right near my apartment in Tokyo. I used to frequent the lookout on the old tower, where they broadcast jazz performance every Wednesday night from Club 333 on the main lookout (150 metres up - the other lookout is about 250 high) but now I simply go to Blue Note (yes there is a BN in Tokyo).

This looks like beauty. More importantly, that's the Asahi Beer Museum on the right, complete with a giant golden foam drop.

http://www.pushpullbar.com/forum_att...okyo_tower.jpg

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum View Post

Its right near my apartment in Tokyo. I used to frequent the lookout on the old tower, where they broadcast jazz performance every Wednesday night from Club 333 on the main lookout (150 metres up - the other lookout is about 250 high) but now I simply go to Blue Note (yes there is a BN in Tokyo).

This looks like beauty. More importantly, that's the Asahi Beer Museum on the right, complete with a giant golden foam drop.

http://www.pushpullbar.com/forum_att...okyo_tower.jpg
    I was there (Tokyo Sky Tree construction site) this past May and saw that construction has begun.

BTW, for the Asahi building, besides the beer foam (below) there is an "unchi"

Oh yes amigos this is a good one!

They are building the first observation deck separate and when completed it will be hoisted (they are up to the 350 meter mark now).

And the core of the tower is separate from the exterior like a pagoda which makes it earthquake proof amigos isn't that very good because Japan has many earthquakes when I was there in June I felt hundreds of earthquakes my very self amigos.

And this video is the best I've seen so far but watch from 2:30 amigos its the funniest thing you will see about the Sky Tree.

Time lapse (sort of) ...

Tokyo Sky Tree (from 281m to 389m)

Exclamation MOD Alert: Thread Title Adjustment

MODS -- Now that this building has a name, could someone please change the title of this thread:

TOKYO SKY TREE - Tadao Ando / Kiichi Sumikawa

Tokyo Sky Tree Lighting Design

Lights connecting the past to the future, lights reaching out to the heart of every person

The tower will be lit up by a new style of lighting consisting of two operations used alternately every other day. The operations are called Iki, the spirit held by the urbane commoners of Edo, and Miyabi, one of the traditional Japanese aesthetic ideals meaning "elegance," "refinement," or "courtliness." The lighting concept is to communicate today that continues on to tomorrow and the future that lies beyond. The tower will represent the history and culture of the downtown area where it stands by adopting, in different parts of the structure, designs that inherit the nostalgic scenes of the old capital city of Edo.

Iki, the spirit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkyTree_Iki.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	10080

Miyabi, aesthetic ideal:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkyTree_Miyabi.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	10081

Looks pretty impressive, they're only building it on the wrong location. There's hardly anything specific to see from there, only this Asahi HQ and the Golden Turd, and the Senso-ji temple at the opposite side of the river. It's like building a 600 meter tall tower in the Bronx...

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm guessing it might have something to do with best broadcast location.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast