Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TOKYO SKY TREE - Tadao Ando / Kiichi Sumikawa

Quote Originally Posted by mr messer View Post
    Yep, its cheap. I bet those Dubai people are kicking themselves now they built a skyscraper and not a tower.
    You just forget one little detail: regardless of cost, Dubai still beats this tower in sheer height, and not by just a little margin. This is just a tall tower (a very nice one), but they have the tallest building in the world. And the whole world knows it.

Tokyo still wins overall, because it is actually a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    I'm with you on that, definitely. Dubai is fun for a day, maybe two, that's it. I spend almost two weeks in Tokyo, and I still just want to go there again. The most amazing city I visited so far, and I can't imagine any city to beat it. But hey, a couple of years ago, I thought exactly the same about NYC...

I can't wait to visit Tokyo, and Japan in general. Just need to get saving!

Yes better than Dubai because its a unique country and unique city with no other like it. 40 million people within a fast train trip of the city makes it a good one amigo.

When I was there I didnt understand a thing. Language lessons are probably worth it. But this will make you cry with joy when you watch and realize how much they value the towers in the culture.

Just returned from my third trip to Japan, and of course with some special interest for this tower. Well, it's near impossible to miss, as it is simply huge, it can clearly be seen from the MGO in Shinjuku (7 miles away) or the Sunshine 60 in Ikebukuro (5 miles). On a clear day, you should definitely be able to see it from the Yokohama Landmark Tower, over 20 miles away. When I visited the neighbourhood (a rather quiet, sleepy part of town that already seemed to have fully embraced their first real tourist magnet) they were at 559 meters, and stil going up.

I haven't had the time to have a look at my photo's, but I'll put some online in a few days.

Oh, Yes ... PHOTOS please!

Most pictures taken at January 18th:

From Asakusa (about a mile away), with the Asahi Breweries HQ and the Golden Turd:

From the Metropolitan Government Office in Shinjuku:

From the Sunshine 60 in Ikebukuro:

(imagine this with some proper lighting...)

Tokyo's newest tourist attraction, in an area that could really use something like this:

Last edited by WizardOfOss; February 2nd, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

Awesome pictures! USA needs to get that "pride" back with our magnificent buildings/structures. I read stuff online and see comments by New Yorkers who are proud that they have never visited the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty.

Facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    Here, here!

The Tokyo Sky Tree now at 634m is a superb tower. The upper deck should be at 450m or 1476 ft. These figures are not official but are close. Can't wait until this gem is opened up to the public.

INAUGURATION DAY on May 22nd, 2012...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234